All-Time Alabama Roster
Thanks Thanks:  0 Like Like:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0 Ha Ha! Ha Ha!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All-Time Alabama Roster

I want to have the absolute best, most accurate ALL-TIME ALABAMA roster. Since I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on Alabama football, I had the idea that maybe we could work as a guild to help one another out. I know a lot of us want to create our own team from the Create-A-School so that we can tweak it the way we see fit (ie Julio Jones and Tyrone Prothro are on my list) - But we could still all pool our opinions as to the roster and specific ratings.

To kick things off, I'll borrow from someone else's list (with a couple of edits)...

QB:
    Kenny Stabler
    Joe Namath
    Harry Gilmer
    Jay Barker

RB:
    Shaun Alexander
    Johnny Musso
    Bobby Humphrey
    Derrick Lassic
    Johnny Mack Brown

WR:
    Julio Jones
    David Palmer
    Ray Perkins
    Don Hutson
    Tyrone Prothro
    DJ Hall

TE
    Ozzie Newsom
    Lamonde Russell
    Terry Jones Jr
    Nick Walker

OT:
    Chris Samuels
    Andre Smith
    Cecil Dowdy
    Jim Bunch
    Bill Lee

OG
    John Hannah
    Larry Rose
    Richard Dole

C:
    Antione Caldwell
    Sylvester Croom

CB:
    Jeremiah Castille
    Antonio Langham
    Deshea Townsend
    Don McNeal
    (need more)

S:
    George Teague
    Tommy Wilcox
    Rashad Johnson

LB:
    Lee Roy Jordan
    Derrick Thomas
    Cornelius Bennett
    Barry Kraus
    Woodrow Lowe
    DeMeco Ryans

DT:
    Marty Lyons
    Billy Neighbors
    Terrence Cody
    Bob Baumhower
    Jon Hand

DE:
    John Copeland
    Eric Curry
    Michael Myers
    Leroy Cook
    John Mitchell

K:
    Phillip Doyle
    Michael Proctor

P:
    Lane Bearden
    Gregg Gant

Debating specific ratings, I'll just get to the Quarterbacks for starters. In the order I would rate them...

Ken Stabler
    Joe Namath
    Harry Gilmer
    Jay Barker
    John Parker Wilson

As far as the stats go, I ranked Stabler a pinch above Namath. I gave Stabler a better scramble/option rating, but Namath a better precision rating. Stabler is less prone to injury, which pushes him above in rating. Essentially it's a Stabler vs. Namath debate, but that's a good problem to have. Harry Gilmer I have ranked third - an average passer, but he's an exceptional athlete. I boosted his carry, catch, and defensive skills. If you lose Stabler and Namath, all is not lost because Gilmer is a viable option.

Then you've got Jay Barker and possibly one open slot. I'm not sure what to do about these guys. JPW on the All-Time Alabama? I just don't see it, despite his records.

BamaNation All-American theBIGyowski's Avatar

Re: All-Time Alabama Roster

If you're looking for a great passer...Gary Hollingsworth was a very good QB. I believe he still has a few school passing records.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

I've got a good candidate for quarterback, and I don't know why I didn't think of this one sooner. Bart Starr. I have no idea what his numbers look like, though. I know he played a couple of positions, was sidelined with injuries, but without him BAMA did pretty miserable.

QB:
    Kenny Stabler
    Joe Namath
    Harry Gilmer
    Bart Starr
    Jay Barker

As for runningbacks...

Shaun Alexander
    Johnny Musso
    Bobby Humphrey
    Johnny Mack Brown
    Glen Coffee

I put Coffee where I had Derrick Lassic.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryEwok View Post
    I've got a good candidate for quarterback, and I don't know why I didn't think of this one sooner. Bart Starr. I have no idea what his numbers look like, though. I know he played a couple of positions, was sidelined with injuries, but without him BAMA did pretty miserable.
    Unfortunately...he had to play for "Ears" right before getting drafted into the NFL...which finally showcased his talent. It's almost a miracle he got out of Alabama at all because of how he was treated by Ears and his staff.
    I remember my first game as a child and the amazing feeling I got when I first walked into Bryant-Denny. I still get that same feeling every single game.

Here is my roster with the available slots! Please fix any errors - I may have got a couple of positions wrong. I can almost guarantee that on the specific LB and S spots, actually. I think almost all of these guys are straight up All Americans - input is desired, though.

QB
    Ken Stabler
    Joe Namath
    Harry Gilmer
    Jay Barker

HB
    Shaun Alexander
    John Musso
    Johnny Mack Brown
    Bobby Humphrey
    Bobby Marlow
    Glen Coffee

FB
    Johnny Cain
    Dixie Howell

WR
    Julio Jones
    Ray Perkins
    Don Hutson
    Tyrone Prothro
    DJ Hall
    David Palmer
    Freddie Milons
    David Bailey

TE
    Ozzie Newsome
    Dennis Homan
    Lamonde Russell

LT
    Chris Samuels
    Andre Smith

LG
    John Hannah
    Wayne Freeman
    Tom Hupke
    Leroy Monsky

C
    Sylvester Croom
    Antoine Caldwell

RG
    Larry Rose
    Richard Dole
    Paul Bryant

RT
    Cecil Dowdy
    Jim Bunch

DEFENSE

LE
    Michael Myers
    EJ Junior
    Leroy Cook

RE
    John Mitchell
    John Copeland
    Eric Curry

DT
    Bob Baumhower
    Terrence Cody
    Dan Kearley
    Jon Hand
    Fred Sington
    Marty Lyons

LOLB
    Cornelius Bennett
    Derrick Thomas

MLB
    DeMeco Ryans
    Lee Roy Jordan
    Barry Krauss

ROLB
    Thomas Boyd
    Woodrow Lowe
    Mike Hall

CB
    John Mangum
    Antonio Langham
    Don McNeal
    Bobby Johns
    Jeremiah Castille

FS
    George Teague
    Rashad Johnson

SS
    Tommy Wilcox
    Kermit Kendrick
    Sam Shade

K
    Philip Doyle

P
    Lane Bearden

For the alternate helmet, I went with the classic white helmet with a thin crimson stripe and numbers. Alternate away jerseys are almost identical to current jerseys except I added a houndstooth trim to the neckline and numbers on the sleeves. I may take the sleeve numbers off, I dunno. Again, I tried to keep this very accurate.

Oh, and while I think I have all of the jersey numbers correct - I do not have many likenesses or even races correct (for lack of time, mostly).
    Last edited by AngryEwok; July 7th, 2009 at 01:19 PM.

Looks good Ewok...it shouldn't take too long to put proper numbers and races with all of the guys there. I wish there was a way to download it myself to work on it for you in my spare time.

I can change my password real quick and forward the account info to you via PM, you can tinker with it all you like.

Next on my agenda is fixing the ratings - we can debate all day long who is better than who, but all of these guys need to be upper 80's all around. A couple should be straight 99's. Since I haven't been following BAMA football very long, I may not be as well suited to fix the ratings accurately, though. Good example is runningback styles... I have a feeling 30's era backs didn't "juke" as much as "stiff arm"...
    Last edited by AngryEwok; July 7th, 2009 at 03:48 PM.

The All-Time Alabama team is coming together very nicely. Here's a sneak peak of the roster... including a decent likeness or two... All players will have a year attached to their last name to indicate either the year they made All-American or the year they graduated.

...and here's a look at the uniforms and the various alterations... Note that I tried to replicate the houndstooth trim on the necklines for the alternates. I think this turned out pretty nicely. Alternate pants are identical to the regular except they feature the A instead of a swoosh.

(L to R = standard jersey, alternate home top, alternate away top, alternate helmet and pants)
    Again I didn't want a fantasy league look, I tried to keep these jerseys as accurate to real Alabama gear as I could.
    Last edited by AngryEwok; July 9th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

The only downside to putting the year after the player's last name is that the announcer will never say the last name. If you have the accurate last name, the announcer will sometimes say it. Names like Jones, Smith, Alexander, etc. will be said by the announcer. Just something to think about.

Darn, this is a predicament. Personally, I like seeing what decade each player is coming out of... but I know a lot of people also like having the announcers call the player by name instead of position. Gosh.

BamaNation Second Team bamabound91's Avatar

good list ewok, i plan on forming a all time team myself and really thinking hard on all the postions, such talent, gotta think who is going to make the cut and who isn't. that's a good problem to have. . i plan on putting Marlow at qb. since he directed the 55-0 whitewashing of the barn.

The roster we've got turned out really, really good. Let me know what changes you make with yours!

BamaNation Second Team bamabound91's Avatar

ewok, i'm about 75% one on my all time team. i saved it right now and will finish it tonight. taking a break right now been on it for the past 3 days. (looking up profiles and such). i played with the field and pants and gave bama their white helmets with the bama logo on the side and gave them crimson pants (to get a different look). i'll let u know when i'm done and let me know what u think. if anybody see's any thing wrong (numbers, height weight and such) let me know. alot i had to figure cause of the early years.