Finally ... found a wine that I love!!

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
A friend of my hubby's visited this week from Atlanta and brought with him three very good bottles of wine for me to try (he collects wines).

The first was a Cabernet Sauvignon -- good, but not quite what I was looking for.

The second was a Shiraz -- I liked that one.

The third one was the winner -- I've finally found "my wine"! I even liked the name -- "Tallulah!"! It's a Syrah and he said its not overly expensive -- $35 - $40 a bottle.

Tallulah - 2004

He said I'd also like a "Cotes du Rhone - 2007". I haven't a clue on that one! :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Yea! Glad you found your wine. $35-40 isn't terribly bad for the occasional wine drinker but there are still plenty of $10 Syrahs out there you can try. Yellow Tail, Pennfolds, Yalumba and Fetzer are some I have bought in the past and liked.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
That's exactly what he said Bayou. I've had Fetzer before -- but never Syrah. I think I've even seen Fetzer @ Walmart.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
If you liked Tallulah and are OK with that price range, I'd recommend Stag's Leap or Neyers. Both are petite syrahs, and quite good, with few to no sulfites.

For a similarly rich and spicy red, but a higher price point, I'd say Chateau Neuf d'Pape Beaucastle -- probably $80 - $100 a bottle, depending on the euro / dollar exchange.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
That's exactly what he said Bayou. I've had Fetzer before -- but never Syrah. I think I've even seen Fetzer @ Walmart.
Check out Sam's Club wine selection. Just about anything with a Francis Coppola label is pretty good stuff and runs between $15-20 per bottle. Another very interesting wine I found is by Big House. Try the Big House Red, Petite Syrah or Syrah which are a bargain at around $10.

Try some of the small bottles of reds that come in the 4 bottle cartons. If you like it buy a bigger bottle later and if you don't use the leftover bottles for cooking.

Rueben

All-American
Sep 5, 2008
NAHTOD
Check out Sam's Club wine selection. Just about anything with a Francis Coppola label is pretty good stuff and runs between $15-20 per bottle. Another very interesting wine I found is by Big House. Try the Big House Red, Petite Syrah or Syrah which are a bargain at around $10.

Try some of the small bottles of reds that come in the 4 bottle cartons. If you like it buy a bigger bottle later and if you don't use the leftover bottles for cooking.
Novel Idea!

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I've actually had Chateau Neuf d'Pape Beaucastle once in my lifetime!! My husband was a mgr of a radio station and they had trade-out with a very nice restaurant in town. It was wonderful!!

Don't think I can frequently buy $40 bottles of wine just to sit around & sip, so I think I'll try Bayou's suggestions & hit Sam's!

4Q Basket Case -- thanks for the additional suggestions. I'd certainly like to have other options out there for dinner parties, etc.

Islander

1st Team
Jul 18, 2008
Hoover or Dauphin Island

I was always told never to cook with anything that you would not drink-never did subscribe to that however!

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

Love the Coppola wine. One of our favorite restaurants here serves it. Good stuff. Also try Columbia Crest - all of their wines are very good and inexpensive to boot.:) Now I want to try that Tallulah as well.

WAW4Tide

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
<p>
If you liked Tallulah and are OK with that price range, I'd recommend Stag's Leap or Neyers. Both are petite syrahs, and quite good, with few to no sulfites.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For a similarly rich and spicy red, but a higher price point, I'd say Chateau Neuf d'Pape Beaucastle -- probably $80 - $100 a bottle, depending on the euro / dollar exchange.
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>good call on both the california syrahs. another one that gets high scores usually 89 and above is Qupe. it is also about ten dollars cheaper than the neyers and stags leap and can be found almost anywhere. On another note, I just got married in Napa Valley. it was my 5th time in the valley and while I don't by any means think I am an expert I would be happy to answer any questions I can. Also everyone with an interest in wine should see the movie Bottle Shock. it tells the story of how Caliofnia wines came to prominence. </p>
<p><font size="1"><i>Posted via Mobile Device</i></font></p>

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.