Any satsuma growers on here?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
When I lived in Mobile (92-96), I had a neighbor who had 2 satsuma trees. That's when I discovered this wonderful little gem of a fruit. I was wondering, if we had any satsuma growers on here. If so, how many trees do you have, do you do preserves, etc. I miss them and wish we could grow them down here, but I was told we can't due to our tropical weather and lack of cold days.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikan]Mikan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Dr. Van Nostran

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2006
3 miles from Bryant Denny Stadium.
When I lived in Mobile (92-96), I had a neighbor who had 2 satsuma trees. That's when I discovered this wonderful little gem of a fruit. I was wondering, if we had any satsuma growers on here. If so, how many trees do you have, do you do preserves, etc. I miss them and wish we could grow them down here, but I was told we can't due to our tropical weather and lack of cold days.

Mikan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Satsuma, along with Maui Wowi, Northern Lights and Panama Red isn't legal to grow in the U.S. ;)

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama

Mikan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, but when I was a kid we lived outside Mobile in Spring Hill and I used to lift a few whenever I passed the Auburn Agriculture Experimental Station on my way to swim at the pool near the old waterworks pumping station. They are a treat and like watermelons, the stolen ones taste better than the bought ones. :biggrin2:

Anyone from the Mobile area that knows what I'm talking about here is slightly older than dirt! :biggrin:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Love satsuma's. Easy to peel and pop in your mouth! We see a lot of them at local farmer's markets.
You need to go get a couple and plant them in your yard. You can be the TideFans Satsuma Project.:wink: We can all reap the rewards of your hard work.....:)

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
No, but when I was a kid we lived outside Mobile in Spring Hill and I used to lift a few whenever I passed the Auburn Agriculture Experimental Station on my way to swim at the pool near the old waterworks pumping station. They are a treat and like watermelons, the stolen ones taste better than the bought ones. :biggrin2:

Anyone from the Mobile area that knows what I'm talking about here is slightly older than dirt! :biggrin:
I loved that place, real fresh water, no chlorine.

SouthHSV

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Huntsville,Al
I love fruit, but I don't think most people realize just how messy they can be. I own about 250 acres between Troy and Enterprise. We try to keep about 4 acres clean around the cabin, but it's hard with plums, apples, figs, scupplin vines, and peach trees.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I love fruit, but I don't think most people realize just how messy they can be. I own about 250 acres between Troy and Enterprise. We try to keep about 4 acres clean around the cabin, but it's hard with plums, apples, figs, scupplin vines, and peach trees.
Any crabapples?

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I have been eating Satsuma's for the past month and they are delicious!!!! My Mom's neighbor has a tree and its loaded!

SouthHSV

1st Team
Sep 5, 2008
Huntsville,Al
Any crabapples?
Some, although they don't produce that well for some reason. I may be the only person I know that likes the actual taste of a crabapples.

Anyone ever been around Persimmon tree's? I once had one fall directly on my head before it was ripe and it didn't feel great.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Some, although they don't produce that well for some reason. I may be the only person I know that likes the actual taste of a crabapples.

Anyone ever been around Persimmon tree's? I once had one fall directly on my head before it was ripe and it didn't feel great.
I love crabapple jelly. We had persimmon trees in Alabama, 2 of them not sure if you need 2 to polinate but my great grandpa had 2. The ripe persimmons were pretty good but the green ones were the best ;) eat a few green ones before you graduate up to the ripe ones. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Satsumas should be easy to grow in any sub tropic area. Several of my Louisiana neighbors had satsuma trees and kumquat trees. Seems like when the fruit started bearing everyone would share sacks full of the fruit with friends and neighbors. I love satsumas and the little kumquats are cool to fill your pocket full while working outdoors, you eat skin and all, kumquat jelly is a real thing of beauty. Keep the trees shielded from wind, give them lots of sunlight and if it turns cold keep them from freezing. If you have to cover them and put a string of light bulbs under the cover with them to keep them warm.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.