You make the call mid-week 9/23/2009

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
White has ball 4th and 3 from their own 40. White goes into punt formation. Ball is punted to red 20. Red #3 gives a valid fair catch signal. The ball bounces off red #3's shoulder pad and bounces straight up in the air. White #54 pushes red #3 out of the way in an effort to catch the ball in the air. White #54 dives and catches the ball at the red 19 yard line, where the ball becomes dead.

What do we have?

A - White ball 1st and 10 from the 19
B - Foul on white for kick catch interference. 1st and 10 for red after the penalty is marked off.
C -2 points for red since white did not allow the chance at a return
D - Foul on white for kick catch interference. Red has option to take the ball where the play ended or push white back 15 yards and replay 4th down.

Last edited:

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
All that I know is that it should be A, but some of these rules were written to protect kids, not to make sense from a competitive perspective.

If it isn't A, I hope that it is C. That would just make its absurdity more evident... :biggrin:

Last edited:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
All that I know is that it should be A, but some of these rules were written to protect kids, not to make sense from a competitive perspective.

If it isn't A, I hope that it is C. That would just make its absurdity more evident... :biggrin:
You are right, it is A. Once R touches (muffs) it, he loses his fair catch protection.

This is one rule that is opposite what the pros can do and it seems that the safety aspect is left in for the pros, but not high school. Kind of backwards IMO.

It can be found under rule 6 in the NFHS book. I think it is rule 6-5-? :)

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
6-5-6 to be exact VolFan. In high school ball, the protection against kick catching interference and the protection given by a fair catch signal end when the ball is touched by the receiver when the ball is muffed.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
6-5-6 to be exact VolFan. In high school ball, the protection against kick catching interference and the protection given by a fair catch signal end when the ball is touched by the receiver when the ball is muffed.
Thanks. This is a rule I would have missed. He heard about it this week in our meeting. I think it stems from the same type play happening in the Titans game this past week, except there they still have KCI.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.