You Make the Call 9/29

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Red ball, first and ten at its own 10 yard line. Red runs a toss sweep that goes to the 50. During the play, Red 5 clips White 10 at the Red 20 yard line. White 10 jumps up and curses Red 5. Red 5 responds with cursing of his own. Where will the ball be spotted and what will be the down and distance needed for a first down?

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
To take a stab at it off the top of my head.

The clip is going to be enforced half the distance. So replay 1st down, 1st and 10 from the 10.

You then have the 2 unsportsmanlike penalties. So, in the order they occurred. You will go 15 yards for the white penalty. To the 25. You are then going to only go half the distance for the red penatly. The ball will go on the 12 1/2 yard line.

I think you have 1st and 7 1/2 yards to go from the red 12 1/2

This is totally off the top of my head and very likely wrong. :)

LABUB

Sep 10, 2009
Red ball, first and ten at its own 10 yard line. Red runs a toss sweep that goes to the 50. During the play, Red 5 clips White 10 at the Red 20 yard line. White 10 jumps up and curses Red 5. Red 5 responds with cursing of his own. Where will the ball be spotted and what will be the down and distance needed for a first down?
1st and 7-1/2 at the 12-1/2 yard line

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Regardless of the enforcement, Red #5 needs some anger management therapy! :pDT_iq:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
On second thought, nothing is said about flags being thrown for the cursing. I that case I am going half the distance from the 20.

1st and 10 from the 10.

If flags were thrown, I stick with my first answer

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
The officials are blind to anything that Red does wrong. They don't "see" the clip or the Red 5 player outburst, but they flag White 10 for his outburst.

1st and 10 for Red at the White 35. With the help of a bogus pass interference call later in the drive, Red scores a TD and goes up 7-0... :biggrin:

At least, this has been my experience when watching football games... :rofl:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
The officials are blind to anything that Red does wrong. They don't "see" the clip or the Red 5 player outburst, but they flag White 10 for his outburst.

1st and 10 for Red at the White 35. With the help of a bogus pass interference call later in the drive, Red scores a TD and goes up 7-0... :biggrin:

At least, this has been my experience when watching football games... :rofl:
Wow...is this the Tennessee/Alabama game? :)

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Nice job VolFan and LABUB, First and 7 1/2 from the 12 1/2. In this situation there is a live ball clip and two live ball unsportsmanlike fouls. Unsportsmanlike fouls never offset in high school ball. Assuming the teams elect to accept all of the penalties, the umpire will walk off a half the distance penalty from the 20 to the 10 for the clip. The unsportsmanlike fouls are penalized in the order of their occurrence. Therefore, the umpire would then walk off a 15 yard penalty against White to the 25 and then turn around and walk off a half the distance penalty against Red to the 12 1/2. In addition, both Red 5 and White 10 could be ejected for using profanity.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Thanks. I really wasn't 100% on that one. I knew there was more to it than half the distance for clipping and then offset the USC.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Got to talking about this play with an official that I work with. He agrees that the ball goes on the 12 1/2. He claims that is should be first and ten from here.

Here is the reason. When the USC penalty is enforced on the defense the ball goes to the 25. This spot gives the offense a first down. You then mark the 12 1/2 yards off to the 12 1/2 for the USC on the offesnse, from there it is 1st and 10 from the 12 1/2.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Got to talking about this play with an official that I work with. He agrees that the ball goes on the 12 1/2. He claims that is should be first and ten from here.

Here is the reason. When the USC penalty is enforced on the defense the ball goes to the 25. This spot gives the offense a first down. You then mark the 12 1/2 yards off to the 12 1/2 for the USC on the offesnse, from there it is 1st and 10 from the 12 1/2.
That's exactly right. When enforcing penalties on downs 1, 2, & 3, if any markoff puts the offense past the line-to-gain (as happened here with the first USC markoff), it will be first down. However, the chains are NOT set until after all enforcements, meaning they will be set at 1st-&-10 from the 7.5 yard line. (Prior to 1997, the chains were set after the first USC enforcement, which would have given Red the ball at the 7.5 with a 1st-&-25.)

4th down enforcement can be different, depending on what fouls occurred and when. Assume that Red gains two yards on a 4th-&-three play.. Now, since the LTG wasn't reached during live-ball play, White will decline the clipping penalty, and it will be White's ball following enforcement of both USC fouls in order of occurrence.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.