West African Chicken Soup

TiderinArkansas

1st Team
Nov 12, 2005
I don't spend a ton of time making soup but I had this recipe for a while, got some fresh vegetables from a family friend's farm that it called for, decided to make it and it was really good, best soup I've ever made. Pretty unique too, stirring in the peanut butter at the end makes the difference.

2-3 tablespoons oil
1 regular sized onion-red or white
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
pinch of cayenne
salt and pepper
3/4 of a pound of boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
1/2 pound of kale, cut into ribbons
1 pound of sweet potatoes cut into fairly thick cubes
8 plum tomatoes, cored, quartered or halved, could use canned.
6 cups of chicken broth
3/4 cup of peanuts, either pulsed in a food processor or crushed with the edge of a knife
1/4 cup of "natural" peanut butter

1)mince the onion, garlic and ginger
2)saute all three in oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
3)throw in chicken cubes, saute for another three or so minutes, get a little color
4)throw in 1/2 cup of crushed peanuts, stir them around a bit, throw in pound of cubed sweet potatoes, give a quick stir
5)pour in 6 cups of chicken broth, I actually made my own this time but that's up to you, bring to a full boil and turn down to low to simmer
6)add 1/2 pound of Kale and the plum tomatoes
7)cook for ten minutes or so just till the potatoes and chicken are cooked
8)turn stove down to low, stir in a 1/4 cup of "natural" peanut butter (recipe called for that, its the stuff that when you open it up the oil is separated, don't know how normal peanut butter would do).
9)check for seasoning, salt and pepper if needed, maybe add a bit more peanut butter.
10)garnish with remaining crushed peanuts.

Its good stuff. Made it Friday night, was good then but I had some for lunch Saturday before the game and it seemed like sitting overnight made it even better. Had planned on grilling out Saturday night and ended up just eating more soup.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.