You Make the Call 10/13

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
White has the ball on the Red 45, 3rd and 10. The White quarterback rolls to his right and throws a pass from the Red 43 that is completed to the Red 31. After the quarterback throws the ball, Red 55 takes three steps and hits the quarterback. What are the options?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Since there are penalties on both teams (illegal forward pass and roughing), both coaches would be forced to accept the penalties. In this case, I think that you would walk off both.

So my guess is, loss of down (doesn't matter), move the ball backwards to the 50, then forward 15 yards to the 35 and automatic 1st down...

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Since there are penalties on both teams (illegal forward pass and roughing), both coaches would be forced to accept the penalties. In this case, I think that you would walk off both.

So my guess is, loss of down (doesn't matter), move the ball backwards to the 50, then forward 15 yards to the 35 and automatic 1st down...
You're gonna let the offense profit by fouling?

You're gonna let the defense profit by fouling?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
You're gonna let the offense profit by fouling?
If the defensive team does not accept the penalty, the ball would be even further down the field, as the ball was caught at the 31. Tack on another 15 yards and they are at the 16 instead of the 35.
You're gonna let the defense profit by fouling?
If you are the offensive team, declining the 15 yard penalty doesn't make sense. It means that you get the ball at the 50 instead of the 35, since they will accept their penalty. Even if they didn't accept their penalty, why not take the additional 15 yards?

Unless I am wrong about the penalties, both teams would be foolish to decline, so neither would...

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I think the penalties are totally separate and will not offset.

I think you are going to end up with 1st down white from the red 35...something tells me there is no way that is right. I need to run to the car and get my rule book :)

Here is my reasoning:

The illegal forward pass is 5 yards and loss of down. So, red will accept this penalty...making it 4th and 15 from the 50.

You will then enforce the 15 yard personal foul for the late hit. This will take you to the 35 which is the 1st down marker. So, I have 1st and 10 white from the red 35....at the same time I am heading out to get my rule book and look it up :)

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Let me list the options, without any real knowledge of the actual penalties:

1 - Red declines the illegal forward pass penalty. White gets the ball at the 31.
- If White also declines the roughing penalty, the ball stays there - at the 31
- It White accepts the penalty, tack on 15 - White ball at the 16

2 - White declines the penalty on red
- If Red accepts the ifp penalty, it is White ball on the 50, loss of down - they are punting
- If Red declines the penalty on white, again, it is 1st and 10 at the 31

3 - Neither team declines the penalty - both are marched off
- 5 yards and loss of down, move the ball back to the 50
- 15 yards and automatic first down, move the ball up to the 35

so the four options are

* White ball at the 16 (requires Red to decline penalty)
* White ball at the 50 and punting (requires White to decline penalty)
* White ball at the 31 (both teams decline penalties)
* White ball at the 35 (both teams accept penalties)

Since being the only team to decline a penalty hurts your outcome, both would be inclined to accept the penalties.

What did I mess up?

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Let me clear up one thing in the situation and see if it makes any difference in your thoughts. When Red 55 hit the White QB, the play was still in progress.
Sorry, still coming up blank. Even if it is not a dead ball foul, it is still 15 yards and automatic 1st down from the end of the run. As for how vicious the blow, roughing is roughing. A ref should call personal foul after 3 steps, no matter what.

:conf3::conf3::conf3:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Sorry, still coming up blank. Even if it is not a dead ball foul, it is still 15 yards and automatic 1st down from the end of the run. As for how vicious the blow, roughing is roughing. A ref should call personal foul after 3 steps, no matter what.

:conf3::conf3::conf3:
Personal foul is not automatic first down. The automatic first downs in HS are defensive pass interference and roughing penalties

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
Personal foul is not automatic first down. The automatic first downs in HS are defensive pass interference and roughing penalties
Fair enough, but this is roughing based on the NCAA rule book (taking more than one step - this was three). Not sure about HS.

Still, the yardage provides the first down, even after the 5 yarder for ifp.

I know that I must be missing something... :conf3:

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Fair enough, but this is roughing based on the NCAA rule book (taking more than one step - this was three). Not sure about HS.

Still, the yardage provides the first down, even after the 5 yarder for ifp.

I know that I must be missing something... :conf3:
I honestly don't know the answer to this one...been to lazy to try and find it in the book. :) Not sure if they are after roughing or not. I am interested in seeing the answer.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
OK. After looking through the book a little...I come up with this :)

I don't think we have anything on the defense, unless you choose to call a personal foul for a late hit. I don't think we have roughing due to rule 9-4-4. It states:

Roughing the passer. Defensive players must make a definite effort to avoid charging into a passer, who has thrown the ball FROM IN OR BEHIND THE NEUTRAL ZONE, after it is clear the ball has been thrown. No defensive player shall charge into the passer who is standing still or fading back, because he is considered out of the play after the pass
From reading this...I think the only foul you must have is illegal forward pass. This would be 5 yards and loss of down.

I am going with 4th & 15 from the 50

NYBamaFan

Suspended
Feb 2, 2002
Blairstown, NJ
OK. After looking through the book a little...I come up with this :)

I don't think we have anything on the defense, unless you choose to call a personal foul for a late hit. I don't think we have roughing due to rule 9-4-4. It states:

From reading this...I think the only foul you must have is illegal forward pass. This would be 5 yards and loss of down.

I am going with 4th & 15 from the 50
Nice find - and I never would have thought of that. So, no roughing because the passer was beyond the LOS, and no personal foul because he was not hit in a way to draw that penalty.

Hmmm, let's see if you got it...

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Nice find - and I never would have thought of that. So, no roughing because the passer was beyond the LOS, and no personal foul because he was not hit in a way to draw that penalty.

Hmmm, let's see if you got it...
We will see....I am still not very confident in my answer.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Nice pick up VolFan. It is not roughing the passer because the QB was beyond the neutral zone when he threw the pass. There could have been a personal foul if the contact warranted it. For the purposes of this situation, I was trying to say it wasn't a personal foul. That being said, there was an illegal forward pass by White. The penalty for illegal forward pass is 5 yards plus loss of down from the spot of the illegal pass, in this case the 43. Therefore, 4th and 13 from the 48.

By the way, if the hit by Red 55 was determined to be a personal foul, because both fouls were live ball fouls, they would offset and the down would be replayed. If the hit had been after the play (dead ball), both penalties would be enforced with the live ball foul being penalized first. In that case, it would then be 1st and 10 from the 33.

I like the thought process you guys used on this one. I'll see if I can come up with another good one next week.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I look forward to the next one. It is funny once you get the book out, many rules are nearly as simple and straigh forward as you would think they will be.

I still missed the spot foul for the illegal pass.

dptide

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2008
Albertville, AL
I don't think it would be roughing because he was beyond the neutral zone. I could be wrong though. I have been known to. I think it shoul be called 1st and 10 from the red 33. The ifp is marked from the spot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.