You Make The Call 10/20

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
OK, lets go back to the kicking game.

Red trails White 14-12 with 3 seconds remaining in the game. Red lines up to attempt a 40 yard field goal. As time runs out, the kick sails through the air and clearly goes over the crossbar and between the uprights. A sudden gust of wind blows the ball back across the crossbar where it falls to the ground in White's endzone. The ball never touched anything behind the goalpost and never got below the level of the crossbar prior to dropping into the endzone. What is the final score of the game?

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
15-14. You got the right rule VolFan, you just need to look a little closer. The kick need only pass between the uprights and above the crossbar of the goalpost. Now for extra credit. Same situation but the ball goes above the top of the uprights and half of the ball is directly over the top of the upright and half is inside of the upright. What is the final score?

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
15-14. You got the right rule VolFan, you just need to look a little closer. The kick need only pass between the uprights and above the crossbar of the goalpost. Now for extra credit. Same situation but the ball goes above the top of the uprights and half of the ball is directly over the top of the upright and half is inside of the upright. What is the final score?
14-12 in your second scenario. It has to be fully INSIDE the upright.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I just don't see you going 0 for 2 in the same thread... :wink:
I hope not...we will see. Guess it would help if I was actually confirming my thoughts with the rule book. The one I answered incorrectly earlier in the thread a buddy from work gave me the rule number....bad thing is, he agreed that I had the right answer.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Several actually. For a kick above the top of the uprights, if any part of the ball is over the upright, it is no good. That really doesn't make sense because if the ball hits the upright but goes through anyway it is good.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I have the book in front of me now and the rule clearly states:

The kicked ball shall pass between the vertical uprights or the inside of the uprights extended and above the crossbar of the opponents goal.

You are right, unless I am missing an exception, it says nothing about coming back through...so, even if it does come back through it has already met the criteria for a good kick.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Yep. Plus, take a look at 2009 Case Book, page 61, Situation 8.4.1.

For the benefit if the non-officials out there, each year officials are given a current Rules Book and a current Case Book. The Case Book contains play situations with the proper ruling for each situation. Sometimes the Case Book rulings clear up any confusion and sometimes they make it more confusing. In either event, we are expected to not only know the rules but the case plays as well.

FYA, the case play I cited above is:

"The field goal attempt: (a) goes directly over an upright; or (b) is clearly over the crossbar between the uprights. In (a) and (b), the ball is blown back by the wind so that it drops into B's end zone. RULING: In (a) it is an unsuccessful attempt because the ball did not penetrate the plane of the goal between the inside of the uprights extended. It is a legal field goal in (b) and it doesn't matter if the ball comes back above or below the crossbar. (8-4-1c)."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.