Question: What was the deal with Bill Curry??

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Curry was a center in college, and it seemed like he never cared much for defense.
I know after Stallings came, our defense got a lot tougher...maybe because he made them that way.
To quote DeMeco... "We play defense at Alabama." Even Shula had better defenses than Curry did.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
The main problem was that he tried to win in the SEC with an ACC coaching staff.

Curry had promised his GT coaches that if he ever took another job, he would offer them the chance to come with him. He never dreamed that the next job would be at Alabama.

Here's the list:
(all coached from 1987-89 unless otherwise noted)

Tommy Bowden
Andy Christoff
Jeff Fitzgerald
Jack Fligg
John Guy
Rob Ianello
Don Lindsey
Mac McWhorter (1987-88)
Larry New
Rip Scherer (1987)
John Thompson (1987)
Rich Wingo (Strength & Conditioning)
Chip Wisdom (1987-88)
Homer Smith (1988-89)
Walter Lewis (1989)
Rick Rhoades (1989)
Al Kincaid (1989)

May 4, 2003
Larnaca, Cyprus
He was an averagecoach at best. He was a horrible game day coach and his next win over Auburn will be his career first. Mostly I hate the "myths" that have sprung up about him, the brick.., that he was a great recruiter..., that we "ran him off". Bottom line, he quit on Alabama and ran away to Kentucky. And if the "pressure to win at Alabama" was part of his problem here; why wasn't he a great recruiter at Kentucky? Since he was a good coach, why didn't he win, even modestly, at Kentucky? You take the personnel on that '92 defense and give them to that Curry defensive staff for a year and Miami would have eaten them alive.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Relativism 101 - Table of Excellency

Outstanding
Excellent
Good
Fair
Acceptable
Bill Curry
Franchione
Dirt​

The man does outrank dirt and despicable life forms, I'll give him that.​

Last edited:

CE83

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 12, 2004
I think the difference between Curry and Stallings was summed up well by Roger Schultz. He said if under Curry a player got in a fight he would be assigned to a 12 step behavior program. If they got in a fight under Stallings, he wanted to know one thing -- did you win?

There was no comparison between Curry and Stallings.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
1. Last man drafted in NFL draft.
2. GT guy.
3. Liked sweaters...
4. Average coach
5. Couldn't beat Auburn.
6. Couldn't stand the heat at Alabama and fled to KY.
7. I think he was asked to leave at KY.??? Not sure...
8. Poor announcer, and let his dis-like for Alabama show.

I won't go into 9 &10 because it might show my true feelings about him.

Bill Curry had two things in common with CPB.

1. Both coached at KY.
2. Both went on to be 'All that they could be'...;)

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
Bill Curry was a horrible excuse for a coach. He got shot in the butt with good luck when he got the Bama job, it was the only comparatively bright spot in a distinctly below average career. His combined record at GTech and Kentucky was 57-95-4.

The only remarkable thing about him as a HC is that he managed to pull it off for 17 years. :rolleyes:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Curry was like 0-8 against auby if you throw in his GT games. He was hired to try and rid UA of being perceived as a "football factory"

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
All you need to know about Bill C***** can be summarized in this statement:
Code:
[FONT="Verdana"]
    UA
     ^   \  
     |     \
    GT    |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            V
           UK
            |
            |
            V
         ESPN
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            |
            V
          GSU[/FONT]

RedElephant92

3rd Team
Jan 23, 2008
My brother Tom Stoddard wrote a very good book about Coach Bryant's first season, called "Turnaround". He did personal interviews with many of the players from that year. He was at Bama then, and wrote sports for the Crimson-White newspaper. Later went to the AJC. It's on Amazon...
Great book! Every Bama fan should read this book. For that matter, every person that is any kind of a sports fan should read this book.

banjeaux

All-American
Jun 6, 2007
Slidell, Louisiana
Curry was like 0-8 against auby if you throw in his GT games. He was hired to try and rid UA of being perceived as a "football factory"
BINGEAUX!

Indeed, Dr. Joab Thomas, Holt, Tuscaloosa County nativee, tenure as biology professor, prior to return as UA president may provide clues of possible resentment of football. Or, perhaps, he just wanted improvement in academics. Link to Dr. Thomas' bio: [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joab_Thomas]Joab Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Nevertheless, an article in The New York Times, Jan 10, 1987, makes his goal for hiring Coach Curry quite quite clear:
"NOW, FOR CRIMSON TIDE, WINNINGS'S NOT ENOUGH"
NOW, FOR CRIMSON TIDE, WINNINGS'S NOT ENOUGH - The New York Times

Though Coach Bill Curry is a fine gentleman, he was a bad match for the head job at the Capstone. His main Bama connection on his resume was, as GreenBay center, Bart Starr, QB, during games frequently putt his hands on Curry's butt. That was not enough to overcome his GeorgiaTech & Atlanta connection. BTW, sportswriter Furman Bisher, Atlanta Urinal Constipation, retired recently. At lot of crap, from 40+ years ago, was stirred up again. Google bisher retirement at ajc.com. Dr. Thomas should have known better.

For more info on Furman Bisher's misdeeds :mad:, google bear, butts, bisher and holt, granning. No not bare butts.:biggrin2:

:BigA: ROLL TIDE! ROLL!

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I remember hearing from people who at the time were informed somewhat with some things thar went on at the capstone and mostly Ala. Football and they were telling that Curry and his asst.'s would always wear GT shirts or caps to team meetings and practices and that rubbed people the wrong way and when Alumni such as Billy Neighbors wanted to watch practices they were nixed by Curry. My girlfriend at that time saw Curry at Archibalds BBQ and said "Hi! Coach Curry", and he just turned his head as if he was up a notch over every one else. These are the things I remember about why Curry ran after the brick incident. I remember piloting up the Ohio River at that time and someone in a pleasure boat talking to me on the marine band and said, "we stole you guys coach away from the mighty Alabama HAW HAW HAW", and I replied "you're very welcome to him cause I don't think you stole very much, HAW HAW.

GulfCoastTider

Hall of Fame
I remember hearing from people who at the time were informed somewhat with some things thar went on at the capstone and mostly Ala. Football and they were telling that Curry and his asst.'s would always wear GT shirts or caps to team meetings and practices and that rubbed people the wrong way and when Alumni such as Billy Neighbors wanted to watch practices they were nixed by Curry. My girlfriend at that time saw Curry at Archibalds BBQ and said "Hi! Coach Curry", and he just turned his head as if he was up a notch over every one else. These are the things I remember about why Curry ran after the brick incident. I remember piloting up the Ohio River at that time and someone in a pleasure boat talking to me on the marine band and said, "we stole you guys coach away from the mighty Alabama HAW HAW HAW", and I replied "you're very welcome to him cause I don't think you stole very much, HAW HAW.
If someone standing on the ground could have thrown that brick through his window, a decent coach would have run outside, tracked the man down, and immediately offered him a scholarship for QB at the University of Alabama.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.