Question: What was the deal with Bill Curry??

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Here's all you need to know about Bill Curry:

1. He wore "Cliff Engel" sweaters and sans-a-belt pants on the sidelines.

2. The week before the Auburn game in 1989 (the big "first Iron Bowl ever in Auburn"), he decided to "motivate" the team by giving every player a cassette recording of Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time" -- I am not making this up!

3. He is 0-for-lifetime in games coached against Auburn (0-3 at Bama, and 0-for-whatever at Georgia Tech).

4. Bama could have had Bobby Bowden instead, and would have won multiple national titles in the late 80's and 90's.

ga tide man #9

Scout Team
Jan 16, 2003
trion ga.
All of the uniformed non Bama folks always say that Bebes won with Curry's players. But Curry was here only (3) years. With that being said was he (Curry) successful because of the bounty that Perkins left?

Also, Curry was not fired, he neglected to sign a contract offer because of control issues.

RTR

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
2. The week before the Auburn game in 1989 (the big "first Iron Bowl ever in Auburn"), he decided to "motivate" the team by giving every player a cassette recording of Whitney Houston's "One Moment in Time" -- I am not making this up!
Enough said.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
Re: My Thoughts On Curry

1) Curry opted to not go to College Station - going so far as to offer to forfeit the game - because Hurricane Gilbert was threatening Brownsville. If I recall the hurricane didn't even come within 500 miles of A/M, and Jackie Sherrill began his long personal war with us by saying Bryant would've been there.

1) He kicked Jeff Dunn off the team, opening the door to Gary Hollingsworth. All GH did was win SEC offensive player of the year honors.
I lived in Texas in 1988 and Hurricane Gilbert WAS scheduled to hit farther north in Texas than it did. At the mid-week before the game, conditions were supposed to be terrible in College Station on Saturday. Gilbert DID veer off to the left and we got tornadoes in San Antonio instead.

All you can do is make decisions based on the information available at the time. Knowing what we know about hurricanes, was it wrong to avoid where the NHC said one was going to be?

As to Jeff Dunn and Gary Hollingsworth, Dunn hurt his knee against Kentucky in 1989, opening the door for Hollingsworth to play for the first time ever. Dunn left the team after the 1989 season, probably because he knew his chances to play were limited after Hollingsworth's superb season.

We can have our opinions about Curry, but let's try to be factually accurate.

CoachThomas

Scout Team
Jul 1, 2006
Myrtle Beach SC
After his Alabama mafia quote was played for CGS by Finebaum CGS had this to say "nobody leaves Alabama for Kentucky to coach football,basketball maybe." That my friends is all that needs to be said. Go Bama and RTR.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

As to Jeff Dunn and Gary Hollingsworth, Dunn hurt his knee against Kentucky in 1989, opening the door for Hollingsworth to play for the first time ever. Dunn left the team after the 1989 season, probably because he knew his chances to play were limited after Hollingsworth's superb season.

That would be like blaming Bill Belichick for Drew Bledsoe leaving.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Just A Moment

I lived in Texas in 1988 and Hurricane Gilbert WAS scheduled to hit farther north in Texas than it did. At the mid-week before the game, conditions were supposed to be terrible in College Station on Saturday. Gilbert DID veer off to the left and we got tornadoes in San Antonio instead.

All you can do is make decisions based on the information available at the time. Knowing what we know about hurricanes, was it wrong to avoid where the NHC said one was going to be?

I agree with you regarding factual accuracy. So on these two points:

1) Btw - I am NOT dissing Curry AT ALL for that decision. I thought it was the right one at the time. Sherrill's comment that Curry didn't want to come "because his QB was hurt" was undone when you consider that Humphrey was out by the time the AtM game rolled around.

2) I guess I was wrong then - I thought Dunn got tossed off by Curry for breaking rules or something.

Thanks

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

True . And for the sake of clarity , the barn score was 30-20 .

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Curry rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I was one of them. I met him and was turned off.
He was a pretty good coach, but not great. I don't think he would have won a championship. He lacked the drive.
Curry never really understood the importance of beating Auburn. He thought it was just another game. He didn't know it was much bigger in the state of Alabama.

Curry fled to Ky.
Gene Stallings came in at Alabama, and could coach. Coach Stallings made men out of Curry's boys.
Curry didn't really make it at KY either...

Curry went to the Broadcast Booth, and I hated him.
Curry never seemed to have time to say much nice about Alabama.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I remember hearing from people who at the time were informed somewhat with some things thar went on at the capstone and mostly Ala. Football and they were telling that Curry and his asst.'s would always wear GT shirts or caps to team meetings and practices and that rubbed people the wrong way and when Alumni such as Billy Neighbors wanted to watch practices they were nixed by Curry. My girlfriend at that time saw Curry at Archibalds BBQ and said "Hi! Coach Curry", and he just turned his head as if he was up a notch over every one else. These are the things I remember about why Curry ran after the brick incident. I remember piloting up the Ohio River at that time and someone in a pleasure boat talking to me on the marine band and said, "we stole you guys coach away from the mighty Alabama HAW HAW HAW", and I replied "you're very welcome to him cause I don't think you stole very much, HAW HAW.
I can tell you that being a Tech coach most certainly mattered with the people I worked with. They hated him from day one. Now that did not cost him his job but it did make his job harder.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Interesting read. I remember when Curry was hired I was extremely disappointed. GT????? really???? I wasn't when he left though and was glad to see CGS come even though he had a losing record in the NFL. Anyone who can survive the Junction, coach for CPB and then for Coach Landry wasn't going to let job overwhelm him like it did Curry. Plus he knew what Alabama football meant to the state including the fact that you can't lose to the barn 3 years in a row.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
With nearly 30 years to reflect on it, I think it came down to three things:

- Curry played and coached at Georgia Tech. In the 1950s and early 60s, GT was a powerhouse, and there was a ton of animosity between the two schools. So in 1987, the memories were still fresh for a lot of the fanbase's old guard. They were most certainly not happy day one.

- Curry didn't help himself on that front. He was sanctimonious and made no secret of the fact that he hated large sections of the fanbase.

Part of that sanctimony was talking out of both sides of his mouth. "Focus" became his own personal buzzword, so much so that it became a joke....because he himself was not terribly focused, going off on tangential rants about "the fellowship of the miserable," and "the Alabama Mafia."

Then he capped it off by calling the FBI when there were death threats that, at the time, were common during the lead up to the auburn game. That particular year was the first game in Auburn, and emotions were high, and Bill Curry was anything but focused.

- But the main thing was really extremely simple: He was simply in over his head. The job was just plain too big for him, and he demonstrated that on a continual basis.

He did, however, inspire one of the all-time great athletic quips.

Curry succeeded Pepper Rogers at GT. Rogers had also played his college ball there, so his alma mater had fired him.

Rogers said that, unless you're Bryant or Paterno or McKay, you take a head coaching job pretty much knowing that you'll eventually be fired. But being fired from your alma mater, and being replaced by Bill Curry, was kind of like having your wife run off with Don Knotts.

Still makes me smile every time I hear it.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Curry was mediocre in every way. His teams were soft.

We should have rode diddy right into Saban's arrival. Saban would be working on #20 right now.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Curry was mediocre in every way. His teams were soft.

We should have rode diddy right into Saban's arrival. Saban would be working on #20 right now.
Curry was in line for a national championship shot in 1989, and recruited the 92 national championship team. So I think soft after 19-5 record in year 2 and 3 is a bit of a stretch.

As for your hypothetical... I can't see anyway we are working on 20 right now with anyone. I think you are referring to Bobby Bowden. But you are leaving out Bowden had an extreme Miami problem and played a weak schedule. I seriously doubt the 90's would be kind to him in the SEC.

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Curry was in line for a national championship shot in 1989, and recruited the 92 national championship team. So I think soft after 19-5 record in year 2 and 3 is a bit of a stretch.
You are certainly welcome to your opinion....but I remember vividly the running joke at the time as "Perkins was a jerk and Curry was a joke" and I agreed 100% about the Curry part. The only thing Curry was good at was staring at the TV camera after we got beat by someone like Vandy and spewing some political garbage designed to make him look tough, and he was anything but IMO.

I remember when Roger Schultz was asked what the biggest difference between Curry and Stallings was and he remarked that if you got in a fight, Curry made you go to Anger Management classes and Stallings just wanted to know if you won.

Think about it, Shula won 10 games one year and Dubose won the SEC after his 10 win year....does that mean either was a great coach? IMO I don't think it does.

The measure of a great coach at Alabama is whether or not he can win championships, I just don't think we ever would have under Curry.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Think about it, Shula won 10 games one year and Dubose won the SEC after his 10 win year....does that mean either was a great coach? IMO I don't think it does.
Aside from never beating Auburn(shula and Curry) and having a sec championship under his belt (Curry and Dubose) there isnt that much in common with the 3.

Was Curry a great coach??? No but he was clearly better than those guys. Dubose had that masterpiece in 00 on a team many thought that would compete for a title, and Shula really lived off a great Franchoine class in 05 otherwise he wouldve just got his 6 wins like always. Curry atleast got his 9-10 wins and recruited monster teams. Objectively he is probably the 2nd best coach we have had between CPB and CNS.

The measure of a great coach at Alabama is whether or not he can win championships, I just don't think we ever would have under Curry.
Yes, no, maybe he does or doesnt. Dye's run at Auburn was dying and Spurrier was vulnerable in the early 90's so its possible Curry couldve won one. If Larry Coker and Gene Chizik can win a title off talent alone then so could Curry with the amount of talent we had from 1989-1999

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.