Question: What was the deal with Bill Curry??

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
I've seen several references to Stallings winning a title with Curry's players. Yes, there were some special seniors on that team, but does anyone honestly think Stallings wins that title without Antonio Langham, Sam Shade, Tommy Johnson, James Gregory, John Stevenson, David Palmer, Sherman Williams, Curtis Brown, and many others? These guys were all inked by Bebes.

Heck, John Copeland of the famed Copeland/Curry duo was also signed by Stallings- he was a juco signee and part of the famed 1991 signing class.

Let's give Stallings a little credit here. I dont see many folks giving Shula credit for the 2008 and 2009 Seniors. Remember, it was 2011 before a Saban recruited QB took a snap as a starter.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've seen several references to Stallings winning a title with Curry's players. Yes, there were some special seniors on that team, but does anyone honestly think Stallings wins that title without Antonio Langham, Sam Shade, Tommy Johnson, James Gregory, John Stevenson, David Palmer, Sherman Williams, Curtis Brown, and many others? These guys were all inked by Bebes.

Heck, John Copeland of the famed Copeland/Curry duo was also signed by Stallings- he was a juco signee and part of the famed 1991 signing class.

Let's give Stallings a little credit here. I dont see many folks giving Shula credit for the 2008 and 2009 Seniors. Remember, it was 2011 before a Saban recruited QB took a snap as a starter.
There's a huge difference in that in 09 our leaders were Ro, Cody, Ingram, Barron, and Julio. Just about a leader recruited by CNS at every major position besides qb. The 92 team was loaded with Curry players. Stallings best recruited team was the team that dubose had in 99.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
There's a huge difference in that in 09 our leaders were Ro, Cody, Ingram, Barron, and Julio. Just about a leader recruited by CNS at every major position besides qb. The 92 team was loaded with Curry players. Stallings best recruited team was the team that dubose had in 99.
My point was that the 92 team may have had many great Seniors, and they certainly did, but there is no way we win that title without SEVERAL key players that Stallings brought in.

Look at the the SECCG- Touchdown catch by Curtis Brown, many key throws by Barker, big-time game from Palmer, and of course the biggest play of the season- Langham's int.

In the title game: Sam Shade with the first int of Toretta, Sherman with the first TD, Tommy Johnson with the second int, Langham with lockdown coverage, Copeland living in the Miami backfield, etc, etc. That 1991 recruiting class stands alone as one of the all-time great Bama recruiting classes.

Unfortunately, Stallings was not able to recruit at that level again during his tenure.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
My point was that the 92 team may have had many great Seniors, and they certainly did, but there is no way we win that title without SEVERAL key players that Stallings brought in.

Look at the the SECCG- Touchdown catch by Curtis Brown, many key throws by Barker, big-time game from Palmer, and of course the biggest play of the season- Langham's int.

In the title game: Sam Shade with the first int of Toretta, Sherman with the first TD, Tommy Johnson with the second int, Langham with lockdown coverage, Copeland living in the Miami backfield, etc, etc. That 1991 recruiting class stands alone as one of the all-time great Bama recruiting classes.

Unfortunately, Stallings was not able to recruit at that level again during his tenure.
Noone is saying that CGS didn't bring key players in for that 92 run, we are saying that was mostly a Curry recruited team. Comparing Shula recruited players to Curry recruited players is a night and day difference. Probably the best players on the 09 team that Shula recruited were Arenas, Mike Johnson, Gmac, and Leigh Tiffin. That 2009 team was mostly sophomores and juniors that CNS recruited in 2007 and 2008. It doesn't really fit the "CNS winning with Shula players" like LSU fans tried to point out at the time. 2008 we didn't win the title so I consider it more comparable to CGS's 90-91 teams.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
two things
  • I don't remember any of CBCs classes being highly rated going in. Stallings 1991 class was actually a high-rated one for example.
  • Many Alabama HS coaches were pushing their players to Auburn since they did not believe CBC was a winner. I am not sure of any Alabama coach who had as poor a relationship with Alabama high school coaches.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.