Saturday (Started Friday) Chili

J.Will

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2001
Birmingham,AL,USA
So without further ado...Saturday(Started on Friday) Chili

Alright for this journey you shall need.

2 lbs Ground Chuck
A bell pepper
An onion
Some jalapenos or serranos
A 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
28 ozs of dark red kindey beans
28 oz of chili beans
2 cloves garlic chopped and pasted

Various spices that I will discuss as we proceed.

First. Chop up them veggies. You might as well get everything ready before you start to bring everything together. Chili is one of those things that can quickly take over a kitchen. I find if you go ahead and chop your veg, get your spices together, open up all the cans you will need, it confines the mess and makes clean up a lot easier. This is true with all cooking, but especially a complicated (albeit simple) soup like chili.

So veggies...

Here you see bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno all nicely diced and ready to go into the pot. NOT YET! Oh on a side note about chiles...when they are "Wet" most of the heat is retained in the white membrane. It migrates to the seeds when they are dried. Just FYI.

Spices...

In this nice bowl you will find three teaspoons of salt, 4 Tbsp of Chili Powder, 2 Tbsp of cumin, 2 Tbsp of ground coriander, a teaspoon of dried oregano, and a teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Add em together and mix em around in the bowl. You feel like a tv chef yet?

Alright, now get out your big soup pot and heat it up to medium high heat. LET THE BOTTOM GET HOT! Otherwise you won't get that nice browning effect on you beef. Toss in the meat with half of your spice mixture. Cooking the meat with spices adds flavor as the meat cooks.

Strain your meat and set aside.

Return the pot to the heat and reduce to medium. Add a little olive oil and throw in your veg and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent (damn I love that word)

Now reintroduce the meat and add your tomato, 4 to 5 (I have no beer but subbing one of the cups of water for a dark beer is not a bad idea)cups of water and the remainder of the spices.

Let that go for one hour at a simmer. Some people (me) like things hotter so I add a teaspoon or so of ground red pepper.

After and hour has passed add in your beans...

This will be ready to eat after another 30 minutes or so, but you should really simmer it for at least 3 more hours. Then, you refrigerate it over night and reheat it on medium so it's ready right before kickoff...

Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, cheese, white rice...whatever...

Chow down.

Oh yeah my secret ingredient...two bite size pieces of hershey's dark chocolate. It smooths out all the flavors and adds a sweet bitter note to the chili.

Enjoy.

Roll Tide

PS Refrigerating overnight also allows you to get more of the grease out of your chili. It congeals on the top of the soup and you can just pick it out with a spoon.

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

Looks good, but, why would there be grease in the chili if you strain the ground beef after browning it?

J.Will

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2001
Birmingham,AL,USA
Looks good, but, why would there be grease in the chili if you strain the ground beef after browning it?
True and this time there wasn't, but I've had it be greasier than I would like, especially when I've used lower quality meat. Either way, it simply taste better after it is refrigerated over night.

J.Will

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2001
Birmingham,AL,USA
Glad you liked it. It's always a hit around here. I like to throw black beans in mine too on occasion.

The leftovers are good on nachos too.

Last edited:

J.Will

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2001
Birmingham,AL,USA
I've, actually, never cooked with ground turkey. I've been meaning to, but never got around to it. I think I might make some stuffed peppers with ground turkey soon (to cut down on the grease) If you make a batch of chili with turkey let me know how it turns out.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've, actually, never cooked with ground turkey. I've been meaning to, but never got around to it. I think I might make some stuffed peppers with ground turkey soon (to cut down on the grease) If you make a batch of chili with turkey let me know how it turns out.
I've figured out that with ground turkey don't use the 99% lean stuff. There is just about no way to make it not dry out. I always get the 85/15 stuff.

I'm thinking about trying to make this later this week with turkey and will let you know.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Bought all the stuff and making this tomorrow. When exactly do you add the chocolate? With the beer and tomatoes or at the end? Or does it matter?

J.Will

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2001
Birmingham,AL,USA
Bought all the stuff and making this tomorrow. When exactly do you add the chocolate? With the beer and tomatoes or at the end? Or does it matter?
Just toss a few squares in there at the end. There's no real hard and fast rule about when to add it, but I think the closer to the end of the cooking process the better.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
This was good. I made it with turkey, replaced one cup of water with a Fat Tire, and and used 1 Tbsp ancho chili pwdr and 3 Tbsp of chili pwdr instead of 4 b/c I feel it give a little more spice. Oh and used some black beans along with the kidneys.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
LOL. I was too busy tasting it while it was cooking. I try to remember to take pictures next time.

Drake

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 9, 2010
Alabama
Got my chili goin' this morning too!! Looks n Smells Great!! RTR
I'll try some Black Beans next time. Sounds Tasty!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.