Is there anyone who doesn't like chili?

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I'm not sure that I've ever ran across anyone who doesn't like chili, which leads to my question.......Why is it almost impossible to get a good bowl of chili at a restaurant or fast food joint? Or, why isn't chili even on the menu at so many eateries?

I've had some good chili at a few diners, but they usually only offer it on certain days, not as an everyday offering. I think Wendy's chili is pretty good, but I can make better at home, as can a lot of folks.

Maybe that's the reason, most folks just prefer their own. :conf2:

I think Wendy's and Waffle House have some of the better chili at a restaurant that you can get, from fancy places down to fast food chains. We make a Jerk Chicken Chili at our restaurant that is very good. But we really dont sell a great deal of it..most people get gumbo. I kind of think its like you said, people like "their" chili.

I think it's because a "good bowl of chili" means different things to different people. I recall the first time I had genuine Cincinatti chili....I thought it was awful...still do.

I too prefer my own chili to most, but not all those I ever had :)

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
A friend of mine participates in chili competitions. He likes to say, that "People that know beans about chili, know that chili doesn't have any beans."

I used his recipe at a church chili supper. I left out all of the cayenne, and cut the chili powder in half....I won hottest chili. It's dang good stuff, but takes about 3 hours to cook. He says the original chili is really just a gravy for the meat. That's pretty much how it turns out. It's different from what I'm used to, but good.

I 2nd the Wendy's comment, I enjoy their chili.

Speaking of gumbo, it seems that restaurants are hit or miss, the gumbo is either slap yo' mama good, or awful. There is rarely any in betweeen.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Apparently you've never met my wife. Hates chili even though I like it. I'll let you guess how often I get to make it at my house ;)

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
I enjoy Chili when it's a really good recipe -- I'm just not overly wild about beans.

Think I've posted this recipe in the past -- it's very good (& hot). It came from an Atlanta Falcons Tailgating Forum. I just pick around the beans! :)

High Flyin’ Chili

1 chopped Yellow Onion
1 Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
2 lbs. Ground Beef
2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans Pinto Beans
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 cup white wine
3 tbsps. Chili powder
½ tea. Cayenne
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
Hot Sauce (to your own taste)

Directions: Brown ground beef. Sauté onions, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Mix all with other ingredients. Cook in crock-pot on low for two to three hours. Place in a suitable pot to keep hot on the portable grill. Serves 12 hungry football souls.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I have had many bowls of good chili in my lifetime and don't consider mine one of the best but I do like it or I wouldn't keep making it ;). I have had chili with beans and without, some with ground meat and some with cubed. I prefer the ground meat with beans and that's the way I make mine and most of the chili I have liked best are made that way. My only disagreement is Wendy's chili, it is one of the worst chilies in my opinion. Leftover hamburger patties, undercooked onion and thin gravy turns me off. Back to the original question who doesn't like chili, everyone I know that has tried chili likes it even first time eaters might fan their mouth saying its spicy but they liked it and usually wanted more.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I enjoy Chili when it's a really good recipe -- I'm just not overly wild about beans.

Think I've posted this recipe in the past -- it's very good (& hot). It came from an Atlanta Falcons Tailgating Forum. I just pick around the beans! :)

High Flyin’ Chili

1 chopped Yellow Onion
1 Chopped Green Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Red Bell Pepper
1 Chopped Jalapeno Pepper
2 lbs. Ground Beef
2 (15 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans Pinto Beans
2 cloves garlic – minced
1 cup white wine
3 tbsps. Chili powder
½ tea. Cayenne
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
Hot Sauce (to your own taste)

Directions: Brown ground beef. Sauté onions, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper and garlic. Mix all with other ingredients. Cook in crock-pot on low for two to three hours. Place in a suitable pot to keep hot on the portable grill. Serves 12 hungry football souls.

No liquids other than the wine and what's in the tomatoes?

I

It's On A Slab

A really good question.

I'm sort of picky about my chili. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone rave about their chili, only to find out that it was little more than tomato soup with a couple of beans in it.

To me, chili has to be thick, with masa flour added, spicy, and I'm also a fan of an assortment of different beans (usually black beans, pintos, and kidneys).

I'm a HUGE fan of Carroll Shelby's chili:

Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit - A Review of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
A really good question.

I'm sort of picky about my chili. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone rave about their chili, only to find out that it was little more than tomato soup with a couple of beans in it.

To me, chili has to be thick, with masa flour added, spicy, and I'm also a fan of an assortment of different beans (usually black beans, pintos, and kidneys).

I'm a HUGE fan of Carroll Shelby's chili:

Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit - A Review of Carroll Shelby's Original Texas Brand Chili Kit
I like red beans in mine.

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Most of the time I use dark red kidney beans in my chili but black beans do make a good chili also. I used to use pinto beans but for some reason got away from them.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
That Caroll Shelby Chili Mix is also a favorite of mine. They tricked me though. The last time I went to the grocery for the mix, I was searching for the brown paper bag package. I discovered they have changed over to box packaging. Either way, the stuff makes a great chili.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
It's a bit different than the Tex-Mex chilis that most people are familiar with, but I like Skyline Chili. True to its midwest roots, it's a sausage-style seasoning.

You don't even have to go to Cincinnati or one of the surrounding metros anymore to get it. It's now sold in Publix in a microwaveable package.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am a fan of Carroll Shelby's as well, but they don't put enough Cayenne pepper in the kit. I always add more. Chilli isn't good unless you sweat a little when you eat it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.