Entre: Crockpot: Tunisian Yam and Red Bean Stew

I

It's On A Slab

To assemble the stew in your crock pot, combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, ginger, yams, stock, beans, tomatoes, jalapenos, salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper. Stir till well combined. . Give it a good stir before you set it cooking.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, till the yams and beans are tender.
Before serving, ladle a little of the juices into a bowl; mix in peanut butter and stir till well combined. Return peanut butter mixture to crock and stir till well combined.
Top each serving with 1/2 T. dry roasted peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice.

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

WOW! This is one you won't see on "Down home with the Neelys"! Very interesting combination of ingredients.......:)
Give it a shot. There are so many different flavors that blend together. The peanut butter at the end gives it some richness. As did the dry roasted peanuts and lime juice for toppings. I was very pleased with the results.

Last edited:
I

It's On A Slab

Give it a shot. There are so many different flavors that blend together. The peanut butter at the end gives it some richness. As did the dry roasted peanuts and lime juice for toppings. I was very pleased with the results.
Also note: when dicing jalapeno peppers, please make sure to wear rubber gloves. My fingers were on fire for several hours after dicing all those peppers. Lesson learned. :)

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Also note: when dicing jalapeno peppers, please make sure to wear rubber gloves. My fingers were on fire for several hours after dicing all those peppers. Lesson learned. :)
Hold the pepper by the stem or use a folded paper towel to grasp the seed end of the pepper and you should be ok. I don't use the part of the pepper that has the seed pod in it.

I bet the stew would be good with some goat meat in it. ;)

I am one of those strange, weird folks that doesn't put peanuts or peanut butter in cooked dishes. I put it on bread and crackers, sometimes in fudge.

I

It's On A Slab

Hold the pepper by the stem or use a folded paper towel to grasp the seed end of the pepper and you should be ok. I don't use the part of the pepper that has the seed pod in it.

I bet the stew would be good with some goat meat in it. ;)

I am one of those strange, weird folks that doesn't put peanuts or peanut butter in cooked dishes. I put it on bread and crackers, sometimes in fudge.
I'm intrigued by the use of peanuts and peanut butter in African and North African dishes. The peanut is not a native species to the continent. It was brought there by colonialists, but it is much similar to a native plant that had been used up until then. Apparently, the peanut was a much more hardy variety and production was greatly increased.

You see peanuts and peanut butter in a large variety of African stews, etc. Being a huge fan of peanuts and peanut butter, and given the fact that I'm naturally curious about exotic cuisines, this is right up my alley.

I

It's On A Slab

Was so good I made it again over the weekend:

With a Blue Moon chaser...and over a layer of cooked quinoa.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.