You Make the Call 11/17

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Sorry its a little late, I was busy this morning. Here goes:

Red is in a normal offensive set with the QB under center. Red's right tackle #73 is in a three point stance. When the ball is snapped, he immediately dives toward White #66's knees, making a "cut" block. What penalty, if any is charged? Would the ruling be different if White #73 was in a two point stance (standing) at the time of the snap? Would the ruling change if Red was in the shotgun and Red #73 immediately dove at White #66's knees? How about if Red was in the shotgun and Red #73 hesitated or took a step back before diving at White #66's knees?

dptide

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 21, 2008
Albertville, AL
No foul if immediately makes his block at the snap whether he is in 2 or 3 point stance. If he is in shotgun and immediately goes then no foul. If he hesitates then it would be a 15 yard block below the waist.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Red is in a normal offensive set with the QB under center. Red's right tackle #73 is in a three point stance. When the ball is snapped, he immediately dives toward White #66's knees, making a "cut" block. What penalty, if any is charged? - nothing

Would the ruling be different if White #73 was in a two point stance (standing) at the time of the snap? as long as he is on the line and in the free blocking zone and his move is immediate I don't think you have anything.

Would the ruling change if Red was in the shotgun and Red #73 immediately dove at White #66's knees? nothing..once again as long as the move is made immediate with the snap.

How about if Red was in the shotgun and Red #73 hesitated or took a step back before diving at White #66's knees? block below the waist, for it to be a chop block two players from A have to be involved.

Free blocking zone rule 2-17

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Sorry for the funky font in mine. Lots of times I have to type it up to look like an email at work and then paste it here...it will then look funny when pasted.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
I guess we can let the font slide this time VolFan.

You guys are right. In the scenarios given, only one would be a foul and it would be the last one. Blocking below the waist is allowed if it is by a player who was on the line at the snap, it is against a player who was on the line at the snap and the block took place in the free-blocking zone. The free-blocking zone is the area four yards to each side of the ball and 3 yards on either side of the line of scrimmage. The free-blocking zone no longer exists when the ball leaves the free-blocking zone. That is why it would likely be a foul in the last example. If Red #73 made the block immediately after the ball was snapped, the ball would be considered to still be in the zone at the time of the block. If he hesitated or took a step back before making the block, the ball will most likely be in the QB's hands and more than 3 yards from the line.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
You are right TSU. If White #66 was lined up so far outside of Red #73 that he is more than 4 yards from the ball, he could be outside of the free-blocking zone and the block would be illegal. However, Red #73 by himself can never commit a chop block. In order to commit a chop block there would have to be 2 Red players involved in the block. A chop block is where one player (Red #80 for example) is in contact with a player from the opposing team (White #66) and a second player from the first team (Red #73) then contacts White #66 at or below the knees. By the way, if White #66 was lined up outside of the free-blocking zone and Red #80 made contact above the waist and Red #73 then made contact below the knees, it would still not be a chop block as the contact must occur in the free-blocking zone for it to be a chop block. It would, however, still be a block below the waist and result in a 15 yard penalty.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
All of the above answers assume that White #66 is on his line at the time of the snap. In order for a "cut" block to be legal, both the blocker and the blockee must be linemen.

This is another "Friday vs Saturday" rules difference. Blocking below the waist is more liberal under NCAA rules than in high school.

This season, BBW against the defense was a national Point Of Emphasis for high school. Did any of you see this called in your games?

LABUB

Sep 10, 2009
JREF, We had a few low block. I stressed in my pre-game that you could have blocking below the waist on the defense also. The rule is there to protect all players

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.