You make the call 11/23

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Actually had this play over the weekend in a youth game (12 y/o).

White attempts an onside kick from their 40. Once kicked the ball hits the ground almost immediately and then rolls to approximately Red's 49 1/2 yard line. The spin on the ball then causes it to spin back to White's 49 yard line. White then falls on the ball.

Who's ball is it?

LABUB

Sep 10, 2009
I would say White ball. I think the rule says onside kick has to hit the ground and go 10 yards which it did

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Right you are LABUB. The rule requires that the ball travel 10 yards and hit the ground before the kicking team can recover. It can happen in either order, that is to say the ball does not have to touch the ground more than 10 yards from the kicking team's restraining line (normally the 40). If the ball is kicked in such a way that it hits the ground right in front of the tee and bounces beyond the 50, the kicking team can then get it before it hits the ground again. By the way, when the kicking team gains possession, the play is over and they cannot advance the ball. In other words, if a kickikg team player grabs an onside kick on the fly and heads for the end zone, the play is over and the kicking team gets the ball where he secured possession.

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
Jake you are correct. The ball has to do 2 things...hit the ground and travel 10 yards, in either order.

In this situation, it was Ks ball.

Last edited:

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
If something really screwy is going to happen, it's 9-1 odds it happens in the kicking game.

That's why most of my pre-game time with my crew is spent discussing kick plays.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Jref ain't kidding. I've been through some of his pre games.

Congratulations are in order for Jref as he has been selected to work at the Super 6 finals next week. Having know and worked with him for many years, I can say it is a long overdue reward for his hard work.

Jref

1st Team
Oct 3, 2001
Tuscaloosa, AL
Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to working in the first Super 6 to be held in Bryant-Denny stadium.

Jake, you're in charge of the weather!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.