You Make The Call 12/01

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
With the Super 6 being played in Tuscaloosa this week, I will make this my last YMTC of the year. I hope you guys have enjoyed this.

Red's ball 2nd and 9 from its own 10. Red 12 throws a pass to Red 80 . White 24, realizing that he has been badly beaten and a touchdown is likely, intentionally tackles Red 80 at the 30 while the ball is in the air. What is the penalty and where will the ball be placed?

VolFan1

All-American
Feb 6, 2009
Rocky Top
I go with TSU's answer.

That said, there may be something there for the intentional foul....not sure

I like trying to answer these off the top of my head....and usually missing them :)

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It would appear the TSU has the answer (except the yard line would be the 24). However, that seems too simple. Therefore, there must be something to Volfan's comment about an intentional foul. Of course, you can't assume that Red 80 would have caught the ball, well, I hope you wouldn't assume that. Hmm, can one act be penalized twice? One penalty for pass interference and another, this time a personal foul, be tacked on, placing the ball at the 39? A real thought provoker for the final question!

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
You guys seem to think that I have added some trickery to this last YMTC of the year. You're right. According to the rule book, the penalty for defensive pass interference is 15 yards plus an automatic first down. The rule also says that if the interference is intentional, the offending team shall be penalized an additional 15 yards, making the total penalty 30 yards. Therefore, the proper placement would be 30 yards from the previous spot which would make it the 40 yard line.

I have never seen intentional pass interference called in a game and I imagine that if it is called, you may as well get ready to add an additional 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct because the coach is going to blow a gasket. By the way edwd, this penalty is not assuming that the receiver would actually catch the ball but is based on the action of the defender.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
By the way edwd, this penalty is not assuming that the receiver would actually catch the ball but is based on the action of the defender.
I didn't type the complete thought I had in that regard. I know this is a stretch, but what I was thinking had to do with "perhaps" awarding a touchdown due to the intentional aspect of the foul. Something along the lines of the Bama player that came off the sidelines to make the tackle in a bowl game ages ago. Granted it's not the same situation, but that was why I mentioned not assuming the catch would be made. Otherwise, I was fairly close in the rest of my "guess".

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Gotcha. The provision in the rules that allows the referee to award a touchdown is generally reserved for such extreme examples as a kid coming off of the bench and making a tackle on a runner who has broken free and is on the way to the end zone. You were definitely close with the rest of your guess. Good job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.