Game Thread: #12 Oregon at #3 Ohio State (FOX @ 12ET)

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Well, The ACC won a game against the SEC, and now the PAC beat the B1G. So the narrative will be the ACC may not be done and the PAC is Back!

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If I'm an OSU fan, I chalk it up to pathetic refs and a team that needs to grow.
The positive (in this situation) is that this isn’t a 31-point drilling to an 8-5 team. A reasonable CFP member could conclude that OSU was still better and the loss no egregiously disqualifying.

Let’s see if the Bucks respond like champs. Maybe they will.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
And to think I only decided not to pick the Green Mario’s because KT was hurt…😏

buckeyeFB_

3rd Team
Jun 24, 2019
If I'm an OSU fan, I chalk it up to pathetic refs and a team that needs to grow.
Refs were definitely awful. Somehow a Pac-12 officiating crew was allowed to ref a game between a Pac-12 team and a Big Ten team (the commentators noted that it was a Pac-12 officiating crew during the game and I about lost it, because that really explained everything).

Nonetheless, your comment about our team needing to grow is right. I felt before the season that our fanbase was WAY too confident in what this team would look like early on. We lost a 1st-round QB, two early-round picks at OL, and half of a defense that already had a shaky performance last year.

I had a feeling this team would be similar to 2014 where we got better as the year went on and were definitely a playoff team when the time came around, and I still think that could prove to be true, but here's the major difference...In 2014, our defense was coordinated by Luke Fickell & Chris Ash; this year's defense is coordinated by Kerry Coombs.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, primarily because Stroud showed today that he has the potential to be a great QB, but I have concerns about just how much our defense will improve over time.

Reactions: B1GTide

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Watched the game from start to finish.

Oregon showed up punched Ohio in the mouth, and Ohio didn't know how to respond.

Story of the game:
1st half Oregon stopped 3 4th down conversions of 2 yards or less.

The 1st TD scored by Ohio was while Oregon D was checking their wristbands for the proper play.

The running game was the winner of the day for Oregon. Their running opened up their passing game which was suspect in the first few drives. And when they forgot about it. But when they went back to it in the second half, Oregon started scoring again.

Oregon won the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. There were only 2 sacks in the game and both were on Ohio.

I was shocked at how good Oregon looked. They really played well and never looked out of sorts like we usually see with PAC vs B1G teams.

Ohio, you need change out your defensive coordinator. The last two years have shown not just disappointing performances but "what just happened" moments.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watched the game from start to finish.

Oregon showed up punched Ohio in the mouth, and Ohio didn't know how to respond.

Story of the game:
1st half Oregon stopped 3 4th down conversions of 2 yards or less.

The 1st TD scored by Ohio was while Oregon D was checking their wristbands for the proper play.

The running game was the winner of the day for Oregon. Their running opened up their passing game which was suspect in the first few drives. And when they forgot about it. But when they went back to it in the second half, Oregon started scoring again.

Oregon won the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. There were only 2 sacks in the game and both were on Ohio.

I was shocked at how good Oregon looked. They really played well and never looked out of sorts like we usually see with PAC vs B1G teams.

Ohio, you need change out your defensive coordinator. The last two years have shown not just disappointing performances but "what just happened" moments.
And no mention of the officials? I am shocked. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
CFN's Fiutak makes some good observations:

10. The narrative will be all about the Ohio State run defense that got hammered by Minnesota last week and gave up 269 yards and over seven yards per carry against Oregon.

To be fair, Minnesota’s Mohamed Ibrahim might have been the Big Ten Player of the Year had he not suffered an Achilles heel injury, and Oregon’s CJ Verdell is a future – to go very, very generous – Alvin Kamara-like NFL starter. However …

9. Yeah, the Ohio State defense needs to be far, far better. The adjustments didn’t come quickly enough, there wasn’t any accounting for Verdell and the stretch-zone play on the outside, and now …

8. 118 points. 52 in the national title loss to Alabama last year, 31 to Minnesota, and 38 to Oregon. The 118 points are the most ever allowed by Ohio State over a three-game stretch in the history of the program, barely beating the 114 given up over a late run in 2018 and obliterating any other three games.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I was a little shocked by this. I thought Oregon had a chance but they were down 2 of their best players including a future top 5-10 pick kinda guy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The refs had nothing to do with the poor defensive calls and throwing interceptions.
The refs directly impacted the outcome of the game. As for the poor play - yeah, we have some serious problems, but it was more coaching than player execution.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.