Video: 1973 Bear Bryant Show #2 Alabama vs #7 LSU

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I used to love watching this show on Sunday because we couldn't afford cable when I was growing up in Selma. RTR

Thanks for posting. I'll watch it later but just the intro brings back great memories.

I watched it every Sunday afternoon. They showed every play with the Bear offering the color commentary.

Younger Bama fans don't understand how lucky we are today to get every Bama game on TV/streamed.

In those days it was basically ABC's game of the week and Bama was only on TV 2 or 3 times a year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just a couple notes IIRC: the show was done live so no edits. Thus when Charlie Thorten opened the potato chip bag and it exploded from the bottom he just had to shake it off and eat the crumbs.

And, yes, Coach Bryant would take a swig of Coke on the show. Just for once, I wanted CNS to open that Coke and take a sip!

CrimsonPaul

1st Team
Jun 12, 2006
Brandon, MS
Really enjoyed watching your posting. I had to move early in 1973 to Brandon, MS from Huntsville, AL so I missed all of the Bear Bryant shows from then on. Coach came near me for a book signing before the 1973 season so I did get to talk with him and got him to sign a book for my son who has worked his whole life for the U of A.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I used to watch The Bear Bryant Show every Sunday afternoon during the football season. I think it was at 4:00 pm. Very few games were actually televised, so it was a treat to see the show. I had just turned 21 about four days before this game.
And the University of Auburn replay/comment Shug show followed at 5 PM, or was it before it at 3PM? The mists of time cloud the memory at times. ;)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Thanks for posting. I'll watch it later but just the intro brings back great memories.

I watched it every Sunday afternoon. They showed every play with the Bear offering the color commentary.

Younger Bama fans don't understand how lucky we are today to get every Bama game on TV/streamed.

In those days it was basically ABC's game of the week and Bama was only on TV 2 or 3 times a year.
Prior to 1984 the NCAA held the television rights. The NCAA limited it to one “nationally televised game” per week with the addition of certain “regional” broadcasts other weeks. And the NCAA also limited the number of times a school could appear each year both national or regional broadcasts.
I think that is the reason, for those such as you and I, the radio broadcast team (Forney, Layton and later Duncan) were so important. In many cases they were our only connection to the game.
I remember watching The Bear Bryant Show on Sundays just to actually see the plays I had “envisioned” in my head from John Forney’s radio call the day before. I remember listening to Forney on that late Friday night in 1971, a transistor radio laying next to my head on my pillow as Terry Davis, Johnny Musso and others launched the wishbone era at Alabama with the 17-10 upset of USC.
Can you imagine a season opener like Alabama-USC NOT being televised today?

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Shug came on at 5. We watched his show until it was time to leave for church.

I'll always remember Shug for "you're so right, Carl"
Ha! I had to chuckle to myself. We attended church on Sunday nights as well (Training Union from 6 pm to 7 pm and Sunday evening sermon from 7 pm to 8 pm). We would watch both shows. But, the same as you, we would miss the last 15 minutes of the Auburn Football Review to leave for church.

I wonder how many “You’re so right, Carl” we missed over the years? 😂

Reactions: TexasBama

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Prior to 1984 the NCAA held the television rights. The NCAA limited it to one “nationally televised game” per week with the addition of certain “regional” broadcasts other weeks. And the NCAA also limited the number of times a school could appear each year both national or regional broadcasts.
I think that is the reason, for those such as you and I, the radio broadcast team (Forney, Layton and later Duncan) were so important. In many cases they were our only connection to the game.
I remember watching The Bear Bryant Show on Sundays just to actually see the plays I had “envisioned” in my head from John Forney’s radio call the day before. I remember listening to Forney on that late Friday night in 1971, a transistor radio laying next to my head on my pillow as Terry Davis, Johnny Musso and others launched the wishbone era at Alabama with the 17-10 upset of USC.
Can you imagine a season opener like Alabama-USC NOT being televised today?
And to add, most of the Bear Bryant shows did not air on modern day cable since it did not become prevalent until the late 70's/early 80's.

Our company actually moved into the building the Bear Bryant Show was filmed in on 3rd Avenue in Birmingham years after they stopped filming it. It had multiple rooms but the one room where they filmed it was very cool to see on a daily basis.

Reactions: CB4 and TexasBama

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.