2019-20 Coaching Carousel

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Saban wasn't there long enough to have reached that plateau, but no doubt he would have had he stayed... :cool:
Maybe, but why would he want to try to fight Ohio St and Michigan for recruits when he could have free reign on Louisiana recruits? Also consider that Ohio St got Tressel in 2001. No matter how great Nick Saban is, he was never going to beat out Ohio St and Michigan in the long run when Carr and Tressel were in their prime. It would be like Urban Meyer going to Mississippi St and expecting to compete with Alabama and LSU. Michigan St is not one of these programs that can realistically expect long periods of elite years. Dantonio's success isn't natural and more of a product of Michigan making goofy hires like Rich Rod and Hoke.

Saban's best year (1999) at Michigan St was more because Ohio St was really bad and Michigan made up a qb controversy just because Carr wanted to please the fans. He got blasted by Brees (Purdue) and destroyed by Wisconsin. More or less he achieved the normal season with Michigan St with one upset.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Maybe, but why would he want to try to fight Ohio St and Michigan for recruits when he could have free reign on Louisiana recruits? Also consider that Ohio St got Tressel in 2001. No matter how great Nick Saban is, he was never going to beat out Ohio St and Michigan in the long run when Carr and Tressel were in their prime. It would be like Urban Meyer going to Mississippi St and expecting to compete with Alabama and LSU. Michigan St is not one of these programs that can realistically expect long periods of elite years. Dantonio's success isn't natural and more of a product of Michigan making goofy hires like Rich Rod and Hoke.

Saban's best year (1999) at Michigan St was more because Ohio St was really bad and Michigan made up a qb controversy just because Carr wanted to please the fans. He got blasted by Brees (Purdue) and destroyed by Wisconsin. More or less he achieved the normal season with Michigan St with one upset.
Your "Maybe" kind of invalidates the rest of your post. He left for a better job, not because he was run off by his competition...

Coach Saban is a program builder and MSU has benefited from his short tenure there.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Your "Maybe" kind of invalidates the rest of your post. He left for a better job, not because he was run off by his competition...

Coach Saban is a program builder and MSU has benefited from his short tenure there.
MSU was a dumpster fire after he left after Bobby Williams and John L Smith took over from 2000-2007. There was little to no Saban influence left when Dantonio took over. Dantonio pretty much had to build an entirely new program in order to be relevant

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
MSU was a dumpster fire after he left after Bobby Williams and John L Smith took over from 2000-2007. There was little to no Saban influence left when Dantonio took over. Dantonio pretty much had to build an entirely new program in order to be relevant
Not sure that Dantonio agree with you. He has said that Saban built the foundation for him. He said that Saban got the boosters back involved - money that had been essentially untapped since the 60s. Yes, they had a few bad hires between Saban and Dantonio, but the money was still flowing when Dantonio arrived, and that gave him something to build on.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not sure that Dantonio agree with you. He has said that Saban built the foundation for him. He said that Saban got the boosters back involved - money that had been essentially untapped since the 60s. Yes, they had a few bad hires between Saban and Dantonio, but the money was still flowing when Dantonio arrived, and that gave him something to build on.
The point is MSU was and is an 8 win team without outside help from Michigan, Ohio St, or advantageous division alignments. Nothing Saban or Dantonio has done has changed that fact of life for Michigan St. If Saban stayed then he probably would make them more like what Wisconsin is today, but let’s not pretend that MSU would be able to compete for prized recruits with Michigan and Ohio St when they are running on all cylinders

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The point is MSU was and is an 8 win team without outside help from Michigan, Ohio St, or advantageous division alignments. Nothing Saban or Dantonio has done has changed that fact of life for Michigan St. If Saban stayed then he probably would make them more like what Wisconsin is today, but let’s not pretend that MSU would be able to compete for prized recruits with Michigan and Ohio St when they are running on all cylinders
I do not disagree with this at all. MSU will need a huge serving of luck to ever win a championship.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Probably the best show to ever air on TV.

When I first got out of school, I went to work immediately as a foliage grower in the Apopka area. Living in the back of a house that was boarded off from the main part - just a bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom - saving money. This was in 1977-78 and I watched MASH every night while eating dinner before heading to my second job at Cumberland Farms where I ran the store until 11PM every night.

Those memories stick with you....as they should.

Back to the OP......I was wondering when this thread would pop up again! ;)
I remember Extraditing a Prisoner from Ohio, to Alabama. On the day of the last Mash Episode.
I was driving a new B/W, that would really run...
Made it back with an hour to spare.

Funny how we remember things like that day, Remember where I was when Kennedy was shot, where I was when the Twin Towers were destroyed. ect...
I hate to mention MASH in the company of those sad events, but I remember it just as vividly. I loved that show.

Reactions: The Ols and B1GTide

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Nick Saban steered Tucker to the Spartans

the puppet master at work, I know Nick plays chess, but I wonder what this move may cost him if true, sacrifice an OC? For what gain? Hmmmmm.

Georgia fans claim Mel Tucker as from the Kirby Tree. Don’t they know that tree has no branches!

Little strange if true That the Spartans contacted Nick about their coaching vacancy. My guess is LSU doesn’t call Nick for hiring advice

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

the puppet master at work, I know Nick plays chess, but I wonder what this move may cost him if true, sacrifice an OC? For what gain? Hmmmmm.

Georgia fans claim Mel Tucker as from the Kirby Tree. Don’t they know that tree has no branches!

Little strange if true That the Spartans contacted Nick about their coaching vacancy. My guess is LSU doesn’t call Nick for hiring advice
Hard to say...………….Bama might pay Sark to stay around and shop for a better job...……..there are some other schools who will probably have openings soon that are better places

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
As I read some of the accounts of how CU fans feel "hoodwinked" by Tucker speaking at an event hours before accepting the MSU position, I can't believe they would have been happy if he had cancelled while his agent was negotiating, as they said he should have done.

Just a no-win situation.

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014

LSU is still salty because they wanted Saban to make them Alabama. MSU knew they could never be Alabama and are just happy for Saban contributions while he was there.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If Sark goes crazy and goes to Bolder...
Would he be able to poach some of our staff, and... The big question...
If not Sark at Alabama, what is our fallback position?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
If Sark goes crazy and goes to Bolder...
Would he be able to poach some of our staff, and... The big question...
If not Sark at Alabama, what is our fallback position?
I don't think he could poach much. Maybe a couple of position coaches as coordinators, and an analyst/GA or two for position coaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.