2019 In Memoriam Thread

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the "long forgotten" category, Rosie Ruiz - who "won" the Boston Marathon by cheating and was stripped of her win - has died at 66.

Her interview after "winning" was unforgettable."

"What are intervals?"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
wow, haven't heard that name in forever.
Me, neither.

I don't even recall hearing about it AT THE TIME, but that might be because that was the same week that the hostage rescue mission failed, and it's not like I was into running (and we didn't yet have ESPN).

I first heard about it when I got a book commemorating the decade of the 80s in sports, and they featured it prominently.

I got more details a few years later when I actually saw the HBO "Not So Great Moments In Sports" video that featured it as well.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Me, neither.

I don't even recall hearing about it AT THE TIME, but that might be because that was the same week that the hostage rescue mission failed, and it's not like I was into running (and we didn't yet have ESPN).

I first heard about it when I got a book commemorating the decade of the 80s in sports, and they featured it prominently.

I got more details a few years later when I actually saw the HBO "Not So Great Moments In Sports" video that featured it as well.
my parents were both runners so i grew up paying attention to the boston and new york marathons every year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Jim Leavelle, the Dallas police detective who handcuffed himself to Lee Harvey Oswald has died he was 99. RIP sir, and I thought he was an old guy in 63.
He was six years younger than I am now in 1963.

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING DYZ??????? AM I OLD NOW????

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I am saying he looked old in that photo and did not realize he is actually younger than I am right now.
Oh, I was just picking.

I agree. When I saw he died I'm thinking, "My God, was he 130 or something?"

To be fair, however, photos in that day aren't the best, and my own Momma said, "That Stetson makes him look older," which is also true.

I remember years ago when I first saw that picture, "Who is that guy and what was he thinking when he saw Ruby rush them?"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.