2020-21 Roster Analysis

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I assume at this point the roster is set so I'm going to post an analysis of the team. This analysis is my opinion and I don't make any claims to being an expert. I'm just a guy that has enjoyed Bama basketball since the early 80's. You may see things differently so feel free to agree or disagree and we will have a good discussion about this year's team.

• G John Petty
  • G Jahvon Quinerly
  • G Jaden Shackelford
  • G Josh Primo
  • G Keon Ellis
  • G/F Herbert Jones
  • F Keon Ambrose-Hylton
  • F Alex Reese
  • F Juwan Gary
  • F James Rojas
  • F Darius Miles
  • F Jordan Bruner
  • F Alex Tchikou
This is the deepest Bama basketball team that I've seen in nearly 40 years and possibly the most talented as well. The key will be getting everyone used to playing together and everyone finding what their role is. Some very talented players may not get as many minutes because the talent in front of them is just that good but everyone can play a valuable role if they will buy-in. For example, I could see Reese being the 10th guy off the bench but on any given night he could light it up and carry the team offensively. We need guys to be patient and put the team ahead of themselves. If we do that, this could be a very special year for Bama basketball assuming we have a season.

John Petty - Improved tremendously last year. His big problem had been consistency and confidence. CNO and staff did a fantastic job of turning Petty into a confident, consistent player. Now it is time to make that next step where Petty becomes the guy that can carry the team on his shoulders, be a leader. At times Petty is still a little too "cool" and he needs a little more fire like Sexton had. If he can make that next step Petty definitely has potential to be a NBA player.

Jahvon Quinerly - I don't know much about other than he was highly recruited coming out of high school and CNO has had some very positive comments about him and the way he practiced last year. He is being counted on to step in and pick up the slack left by Kira Lewis which is a tall order. Kira is probably more under-rated than most realize, the kid was very, very good so JQ may not be the guy that can score 25-30 points a game like Kira could but he probably won't have to with the talent surrounding him. Just a guess but I suspect JQ may be a more accomplished PG than Kira was. Kira was a tremendously talented athlete but not always the best PG. Given that he already has a year of practice in CNO's system I think JQ will step right in and do well immediately.

Jaden Shackelford - I'm not going to say much about Shack, he's a stud that should only get better. This could be his last season at the capstone.

Josh Primo - Early projections have him as a NBA draft pick next year. I hope he is as good as advertised. This will be an exciting team to watch if Primo is as good as advertised.

Keon Ellis - I don't know much about Keon other than he looks like a CNO type of player, long, athletic, and can shoot. He was a good pickup and I think he will contribute a lot to the team this year.

Herbert Jones - We've all been waiting for this year because this should be the year that Jones puts it all together and shows why so many folks have been projecting him as a 1st round draft pick since his freshman season. He was looking good last year and then he got injured. After he came back he was looking good again, and then was injured again which basically ended his season even though he played some near the end. The defensive part of Herb's game has been fantastic from the beginning but it was offense that needed improvement. We've seen flashes of what he can do now hopefully he can put it together this year and remain injury free. If that happens Herb is a 1st round NBA draft pick.

Keon Ambrose-Hylton - I don't know much about him other than he was a fairly highly rated recruit that looks like a CNO type of player. Depending on how deep we decide to go with the roster I could see him and Miles both redshirting given the amount of talent we have on the team. But injuries could mean playing time this year or perhaps he is too good to keep him on the bench and is part of the rotation. Time will tell but next year I'm expecting big things from him.

Alex Reese - I was halfway expect Reese to transfer given the way last season ended for him but to his credit he came back and I interpret that to mean that CNO wanted him back since others were obviously encouraged to look elsewhere. Reese can be a very valuable weapon and hopefully he has worked on being more mentally tough. I do think Reese is probably the 8-9-10 option off the bench most of the time because we have so many more athletic players on the team now that we did last year. But Reese is one of those guys that can come in and light it up from 3 on any given night so he definitely has a valuable role to play.

Juwan Gary - I know very little about Gary other than he is was fairly highly recruited and is supposed to be a very athletic big body guy. I think he will be very rusty early on and will probably be one near the end of the depth chart along with Hylton and Miles. Unless one of those two are clearly better than Gary, I would expect Gary to get playing time before they do since he had a medical redshirt last season. He is another guy that I will looking for more out of next season than this season.

James Rojas - I was very excited about Rojas last year and I thought he would have been a day 1 starter until the knee injury ended his season before it even started. Now with the influx of talent I think Rojas is probably a part-time starter but a regular contributor. Our big guys this year are light years ahead of last year with Bruner, Rojas, Gary, and Tchikou.

Darius Miles - I could be wrong but I think Miles may wind up redshirting this year due to the talent we have on the roster and playing time may be hard to come by. But Miles seems to be yet another player that is a great fit for CNO's system so next year Miles will be a regular in the rotation.

Jordan Bruner - Huge get for CNO. I was so excited when we got Bruner to sign with us. His numbers weren't bad but they weren't great either although I think that may have been due to the system he was in at Yale. Against some big-time competition he put up some impressive numbers so obviously the kid can play. In CNO's system I can see Bruner having a great year and being an important part of returning Bama basketball back to where we all want it to be.

Alex Tchikou - Another huge get for CNO. His potential is unbelievable. It will be interesting to see how much he can develop in 1 season or if he will need 2 seasons to reach his potential but I believe this kid is going to be exciting watch. My guess is he will be at Bama for 2 seasons at most before he moves on to the next level.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I assume at this point the roster is set so I'm going to post an analysis of the team. This analysis is my opinion and I don't make any claims to being an expert. I'm just a guy that has enjoyed Bama basketball since the early 80's. You may see things differently so feel free to agree or disagree and we will have a good discussion about this year's team.

• G John Petty
  • G Jahvon Quinerly
  • G Jaden Shackelford
  • G Josh Primo
  • G Keon Ellis
  • G/F Herbert Jones
  • F Keon Ambrose-Hylton
  • F Alex Reese
  • F Juwan Gary
  • F James Rojas
  • F Darius Miles
  • F Jordan Bruner
  • F Alex Tchikou
This is the deepest Bama basketball team that I've seen in nearly 40 years and possibly the most talented as well. The key will be getting everyone used to playing together and everyone finding what their role is. Some very talented players may not get as many minutes because the talent in front of them is just that good but everyone can play a valuable role if they will buy-in. For example, I could see Reese being the 10th guy off the bench but on any given night he could light it up and carry the team offensively. We need guys to be patient and put the team ahead of themselves. If we do that, this could be a very special year for Bama basketball assuming we have a season.

John Petty - Improved tremendously last year. His big problem had been consistency and confidence. CNO and staff did a fantastic job of turning Petty into a confident, consistent player. Now it is time to make that next step where Petty becomes the guy that can carry the team on his shoulders, be a leader. At times Petty is still a little too "cool" and he needs a little more fire like Sexton had. If he can make that next step Petty definitely has potential to be a NBA player.

Jahvon Quinerly - I don't know much about other than he was highly recruited coming out of high school and CNO has had some very positive comments about him and the way he practiced last year. He is being counted on to step in and pick up the slack left by Kira Lewis which is a tall order. Kira is probably more under-rated than most realize, the kid was very, very good so JQ may not be the guy that can score 25-30 points a game like Kira could but he probably won't have to with the talent surrounding him. Just a guess but I suspect JQ may be a more accomplished PG than Kira was. Kira was a tremendously talented athlete but not always the best PG. Given that he already has a year of practice in CNO's system I think JQ will step right in and do well immediately.

Jaden Shackelford - I'm not going to say much about Shack, he's a stud that should only get better. This could be his last season at the capstone.

Josh Primo - Early projections have him as a NBA draft pick next year. I hope he is as good as advertised. This will be an exciting team to watch if Primo is as good as advertised.

Keon Ellis - I don't know much about Keon other than he looks like a CNO type of player, long, athletic, and can shoot. He was a good pickup and I think he will contribute a lot to the team this year.

Herbert Jones - We've all been waiting for this year because this should be the year that Jones puts it all together and shows why so many folks have been projecting him as a 1st round draft pick since his freshman season. He was looking good last year and then he got injured. After he came back he was looking good again, and then was injured again which basically ended his season even though he played some near the end. The defensive part of Herb's game has been fantastic from the beginning but it was offense that needed improvement. We've seen flashes of what he can do now hopefully he can put it together this year and remain injury free. If that happens Herb is a 1st round NBA draft pick.

Keon Ambrose-Hylton - I don't know much about him other than he was a fairly highly rated recruit that looks like a CNO type of player. Depending on how deep we decide to go with the roster I could see him and Miles both redshirting given the amount of talent we have on the team. But injuries could mean playing time this year or perhaps he is too good to keep him on the bench and is part of the rotation. Time will tell but next year I'm expecting big things from him.

Alex Reese - I was halfway expect Reese to transfer given the way last season ended for him but to his credit he came back and I interpret that to mean that CNO wanted him back since others were obviously encouraged to look elsewhere. Reese can be a very valuable weapon and hopefully he has worked on being more mentally tough. I do think Reese is probably the 8-9-10 option off the bench most of the time because we have so many more athletic players on the team now that we did last year. But Reese is one of those guys that can come in and light it up from 3 on any given night so he definitely has a valuable role to play.

Juwan Gary - I know very little about Gary other than he is was fairly highly recruited and is supposed to be a very athletic big body guy. I think he will be very rusty early on and will probably be one near the end of the depth chart along with Hylton and Miles. Unless one of those two are clearly better than Gary, I would expect Gary to get playing time before they do since he had a medical redshirt last season. He is another guy that I will looking for more out of next season than this season.

James Rojas - I was very excited about Rojas last year and I thought he would have been a day 1 starter until the knee injury ended his season before it even started. Now with the influx of talent I think Rojas is probably a part-time starter but a regular contributor. Our big guys this year are light years ahead of last year with Bruner, Rojas, Gary, and Tchikou.

Darius Miles - I could be wrong but I think Miles may wind up redshirting this year due to the talent we have on the roster and playing time may be hard to come by. But Miles seems to be yet another player that is a great fit for CNO's system so next year Miles will be a regular in the rotation.

Jordan Bruner - Huge get for CNO. I was so excited when we got Bruner to sign with us. His numbers weren't bad but they weren't great either although I think that may have been due to the system he was in at Yale. Against some big-time competition he put up some impressive numbers so obviously the kid can play. In CNO's system I can see Bruner having a great year and being an important part of returning Bama basketball back to where we all want it to be.

Alex Tchikou - Another huge get for CNO. His potential is unbelievable. It will be interesting to see how much he can develop in 1 season or if he will need 2 seasons to reach his potential but I believe this kid is going to be exciting watch. My guess is he will be at Bama for 2 seasons at most before he moves on to the next level.
Great job!

JQ: I don't know much about him, but I hope your analysis is correct. If he's more of a point guard, distributor he may score less but our offense may operate better. I also think you're right about Kira. Incredible athlete that could get past anybody, but he was week with distribution IMO. Can't tell you how many times last year we had a 3 or 2 break and he didn't get the ball to the right person (often just keeping it himself). Great player, shooter and athlete, but I hope JQ is a better PG.

Also agree about Petty. What we need from him is consistency. Even though he was much better last year, sometimes he'd just disappear in games.

And Reese may do just what you said. Be the hot hand in games when others are cold. He's streaky with that line drive 3 pointer.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Outstanding review and thank you. From what I have heard Frentchi will be at Bama for two years since he skipped his senior year and you have to be 19 y/o to go to the NBA and he won't be at that point in time.

Last edited:

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Outstanding review and thank you. From what I have heard Frentchi will be at Bama for two years since he skipped his senior year and you have to be 19 y/o to go to Bama and he won't be at that point in time.
Good point. He is a very intriguing prospect and has the potential to be a very special player. Hopefully he will make all of us forget Carl Enstrom and Moussa Gueye very quickly. :)

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Jahvon Quinerly
Jaden Shackelford
John Petty
Herbert Jones
Jordan Bruner

Josh Primo- starter minutes
Alex Tchikou
Darius Miles
James Rojas
Keon Ellis/Keon Ambrose-Hylton

Juwan Gary
Alex Reese

Reactions: imauafan

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Of the new signees not being talked about (Ellis, Ambrose-Hylton and Miles), I'm most interested in seeing Ambrose-Hylton on the floor. From what I read, he is supposed to be a very good rebounder with good feel for the game. He was also the first to commit last year which shows he really wanted to be a part of the program. Maybe not this coming year (if there is a year) considering what's in front of him, but I could see him developing into a solid player for this team. Nice having 4* guys learning and not being forced into too large of a role too quickly.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Of the new signees not being talked about (Ellis, Ambrose-Hylton and Miles), I'm most interested in seeing Ambrose-Hylton on the floor. From what I read, he is supposed to be a very good rebounder with good feel for the game. He was also the first to commit last year which shows he really wanted to be a part of the program. Maybe not this coming year (if there is a year) considering what's in front of him, but I could see him developing into a solid player for this team. Nice having 4* guys learning and not being forced into too large of a role too quickly.
I agree, on Ambrose-Hylton.

We really are in a unique situation roster-wise this year. We have the possibility of having solid depth, quality leadership and the ability of players to learn and grow as well. It takes years for most programs to get to that level ... we may be fortunate to have it all in one season.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Man, what a deep roster!
Alabama men's basketball jersey numbers for the 2020-21 season:

1 -- Herbert Jones -- 6-7, 205

2 -- Jordan Bruner -- 6-10, 225

3 -- Alex Reese -- 6-9, 245

4 -- Juwan Gary -- 6-5, 215

5 -- Jaden Shackelford -- 6-3, 195

11 -- Joshua Primo -- 6-6, 185

12 -- Darius Miles -- 6-6, 176

13 -- Jahvon Quinerly -- 6-1, 175

14 -- Keon Ellis -- 6-6, 170

15 -- Tyler Barnes -- 6-8, 201*

21 -- Britton Johnson -- 6-4, 183*

22 -- Keon Ambrose-Hylton -- 6-8, 215

23 -- John Petty Jr. -- 6-5, 184

24 -- Jaden Quinerly -- 6-0, 160*

25 -- Adam Cottrell -- 6-3, 185*

30 -- Kendall Wall -- 6-4, 188*

33 -- James Rojas -- 6-8, 215

35 -- Alex Tchikou -- 6-11, 210

* -- indicates walk-on

(Note: Jaden Quinerly is Javhon's younger brother, he's on as a walk-on)

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Very interesting. Had not heard the staff was doing this. Tremendous move as shooting has clearly been a problem area for quite a while. I like the process being put in place: recruit players who are productive on the offensive end, give them the coaching to increase those shooting skills and then place them in a system where they are free to take open shot.

Reactions: UAllday

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.