2020 Prospect: 2020 Commits and Prospects

sanjosecrimson

All-American
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I have a question that I don't think deserves its own thread. How in the world is Clemson/Dabo able to use the "no more visits after you commit" line and not lose hardly any of their recruits yet continue to rack up the 5 stars? Does Saban use this method as well? I know several years back he said about one recruit "If you shop we shop." But I know or I've read that Dabo's "rule" is once you commit you're visits and recruitment are over.
I don't think there is one clear answer for your question. But I do believe there are several factors involved.
Clemson is the " hot" team at the moment. Kids want to play for the latest and greatest program at the moment. Alabama has had our fine share in the last decade and truth be told, Alabama is " still" the hot program to play for. On the field performances, our National and SEC Championships, high NFL drafts make it very appealing to draw the best to the Capstone, just look at our recruiting rankings over the last decade!
Clemson has won 2 NCs in a 4 year span and just played for another one a month ago. They don't look like they are going anywhere soon and their recruiting as I mentioned before is a freaking machine! Just like the Tide, these kids want to play with the best of the best and for the hottest coach in CFB at the moment.

Dabo is a great motivator or " pastor" as I like to referred to him. He gets the most out of his faith and conveys quite convincingly to kids who shared the same belief as ardently as he does. After all, the majority of their players are from the Deep South who were brought up with the same traditional Christian values and morals as Dabo. We can choose to ignore it, but that is a big draw for some of these kids who respect and admired Dabo as not only their head coach , but a good Christian man who they can relate/ lean on when they are away from home. Its a schtick we Bama fans get tired of, but these kid eat it up!!

Lastly, I believe the kids who committed to Clemson in the first place intended to stay with their pledge and were told by their staff that if you give a verbal that is that and you're shutting down your recruitment.
Most kids will buy into that policy if they are planning to stick with their commitment.
And let's not act as if Alabama has lost tons of kids after they verbally committed to us.
Clemson gets more press on this matter because they are a great program at the moment so everything is magnified.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
Dabo is a great motivator or " pastor" as I like to referred to him. He gets the most out of his faith and conveys quite convincingly to kids who shared the same belief as ardently as he does. After all, the majority of their players are from the Deep South who were brought up with the same traditional Christian values and morals as Dabo. We can choose to ignore it, but that is a big draw for some of these kids who respect and admired Dabo as not only their head coach , but a good Christian man who they can relate/ lean on when they are away from home. Its a schtick we Bama fans get tired of, but these kid eat it up!!
I think this is how Dabo has been able to transform Clemson's recruiting. The kids aren't the only ones who "eat it up". Their mama's do as well and if you can get their mama's you can pretty much guarantee you've got the kid.

CoolBreeze

All-American
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think this is how Dabo has been able to transform Clemson's recruiting. The kids aren't the only ones who "eat it up". Their mama's do as well and if you can get their mama's you can pretty much guarantee you've got the kid.
I think what he does is pretty genuine, and the kids and their parents can see it. I think many folks think it is just an act because he is successful, and success breeds envy. If Clemson was winning seven or eight games per year, the same people would say that Dabo can't win championships because he is just too nice. We all know that not many people say nice things about Coach Saban other than admitting he is a great coach.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com - Wear UA Masks!

Purchases made through our TideFansStore.com link may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.