Politics: 2020 Dem POTUS candidate catch all discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have read that he intends to do more than try to win - he intends to help whoever gets the DNC nod get in. He is spending a ton of his own money to help accomplish that. He wants Trump out of the White House.
There's a down side to Bloomberg's lavish spending that I had not considered...I can't find the essay now but...

The argument is that Bloomberg is running the cost of ads through the roof with blanket buys pricing the other Dems out of the running. I'm glad we have a free spending billionaire on the Dem side but I hate to think we are at the point where all we are given as voters is a choice between two of them.

There's talk abot disillusioned Trump voters not voting for a progressive Dem...perhaps they should just sit this one out.

Reactions: B1GTide

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
To me I sense that Bloomberg is an insurance policy for centrists who are probably starting to worry that Biden is apt to implode due to his senility and pressure from the left flank.

I'd argue that Biden is a much stronger general election candidate than Bloomberg regardless. The centrist might be able to manufacture some consent for Bloomberg late in the process if that implosion happens but I seriously doubt it. Furthermore, my opinion is that Bloomberg would be the exact type of candidate to have a McGovern or Mondale type electoral rout. I've said it before: he's the one candidate who you can levy the complaint that they're both not sufficiently left enough to get the left flank to vote but also too much of the stereotypical liberal nanny state to pull anyone from the moderate right. It is a fool's errand for centrists to hedge their bets with Bloomberg. They need to be focusing on Biden's multivitamins in hopes his mind stays sharp enough to avoid tripping over his own tongue.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Biden and Sanders are two old dudes but Sanders has the benefit of being very ideologically consistent throughout his time in politics. I happen to agree with his analysis. It was right in the 1980s and it even more true today.

Regardless, Biden has the trouble of being a horse trading political operator who was often a swing vote. He's got a lot more dancing around his resume to do than Sanders who really doesn't have a damning vote on things he professes to support. I don't think he's spry enough anymore to do that intellectual dance in a convincing way. He's made up for it with aggressive, almost chauvinistic bluster such as that conflict with a town hall questioner last month but I'd be worrying that he'll do that against the wrong person or idea and it just nuke his entire campaign.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is worth noting that Warren and Sanders plans include the basis for replacing your employer subsidized premiums with M4A. Each has reiterated that their tax plan would be a zero sum for the vast majority as it essentially takes that premium and redirecting it to federal withholding.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I saw a lady yesterday who needed a tooth extracted. In checking her health Hx I noticed she takes alendronate (Fosamax) which has been known to cause osteonecrosis of the jawbone. This means the extraction site will not heal after a tooth extraction. I referred her to an oral surgeon. There are four oral surgeons in Jackson, TN but none of them accept her medicare insurance because it pays at such a poor rate.

This is the issue I have with all these health care plans. I had to write off close to $100,000 last year because I do accept the plans. Mind you thatā€™s coming directly out of my compensation. The government takes bids from insurance companies and evidently the lowest bidder wins. Next year the allowable benefits will be less.

Bottom line is you are not going to receive the same level of health care once Uncle Sam starts controlling the purse strings. Health care for all sounds great, but let the buyer beware.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I saw a lady yesterday who needed a tooth extracted. In checking her health Hx I noticed she takes alendronate (Fosamax) which has been known to cause osteonecrosis of the jawbone. This means the extraction site will not heal after a tooth extraction. I referred her to an oral surgeon. There are four oral surgeons in Jackson, TN but none of them accept her medicare insurance because it pays at such a poor rate.

This is the issue I have with all these health care plans. I had to write off close to $100,000 last year because I do accept the plans. Mind you thatā€™s coming directly out of my compensation. The government takes bids from insurance companies and evidently the lowest bidder wins. Next year the allowable benefits will be less.

Bottom line is you are not going to receive the same level of health care once Uncle Sam starts controlling the purse strings. Health care for all sounds great, but let the buyer beware.
Well it seems like you'd have less write-offs. If it is anything like Tricare, it will be better for almost anyone. Tricare is the only good health insurance I've ever had in terms of costs.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Medical care is a human right. The Mayo Clinic has the right model for medical care. There are a number of doctors in my family, and one dentist. None of them got into their field for the $$$, and they all give away as much care as they charge for in one way or another.

But, to be clear, the best medical care in the world is available at Mayo clinics. They accept whatever payment a patient can afford - down to nothing. They do not turn away patients because they cannot pay. You do not go to work for the Mayo clinic to get rich because you are salaried. Still, patient care is the best in the world.

It will work just fine.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Medical care is a human right. The Mayo Clinic has the right model for medical care. There are a number of doctors in my family, and one dentist. None of them got into their field for the $$$, and they all give away as much care as they charge for in one way or another.

But, to be clear, the best medical care in the world is available at Mayo clinics. They accept whatever payment a patient can afford - down to nothing. They do not turn away patients because they cannot pay. You do not go to work for the Mayo clinic to get rich because you are salaried. Still, patient care is the best in the world.

It will work just fine.
I didnā€™t get into dentistry for the money either. I donā€™t turn patients away which is why I accept the above mentioned insurance. I agree health care is a human right.

I donā€™t have your confidence in the system but I sure hope you a right.

If they plan to model our healthcare system after the Mayo Clinic Iā€™m all in.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

It will work just fine.
Just FYI, Mayo Clinic actually offers the best physician compensation of any academic hospital in the country, and it's not really close. That's the only way they can attract talent to Rochester, MN.

You're right that no one goes into academic medicine for the money, though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just FYI, Mayo Clinic actually offers the best physician compensation of any academic hospital in the country, and it's not really close. That's the only way they can attract talent to Rochester, MN.

You're right that no one goes into academic medicine for the money, though.
Think about that - their model of only accepting what people can pay still allows them to attract the best talent. The GOP has been lying to the world about the "risks" associated with this type of model. They believe that people only get into medicine to get rich because they only get into politics to get rich. They do not understand what drives people to become doctors.

There is plenty of money out ther to continue to attract the best doctors and surgeons, even in a single payer system. Only fear mongers fail to see it.

Reactions: UAH and CharminTide

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think that is the salient point. The liberal to right point of view on what drives innovation is wealth acquisition alone. The more money to be made, the more innovation. This ignores that people often make career decisions where money is only one of many variables they consider. It ignores that many of the biggest innovations of the 20th century happened in academia or at least within the public research realm. UAB could invent a new cancer medicine but they'll best they'll ever do is either selling it to a pharma manufacturer or licensing it. They will never be able to truly maximize the returns for the researchers, the lab, or the university. Why? Because the public sector legally cannot make prescription drugs for themselves or to sell to others.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
LOL - No, because he is not Trump or Biden or Warren. He did a great job when he was the NYC mayor, BTW.
Bloomberg has a very interesting message to the conservative middle class voter who is interested in quality health care, education, practical approaches to crime and fiscal responsibility. Responsible members of the banking and investment community (i.e. big money) are favorably inclined toward him. IMO he has the potential of pulling a significant portion of conservative voters if he is able to gain traction in the primaries. I tend to believe that both Trump and his strongly left leaning opposition scare the heck out of most of corporate America and the financial community and ultimately Bloomberg is their candidate. This goes against many of our more progressive friends here but, I believe, we need a candidate who can consider all facets of an issue without being owned by special interest groups in general.

Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
I don't see how Bloomberg is electable. Trump would eat him alive on stop -and -frisk and the banning of 32 0z. cokes alone...his 2A record would certainly be problematic for him. It would make for an entertaining debate, but I would wager that the majority of those voters who are not firmly entrenched on either side would not view NYC as a model of government that they can get behind. Bloomberg beating Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Mayor Pete seems pretty far -fetched at this point. But then again I'm sure Jeb and the crew were saying the same thing about PDJT.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see how Bloomberg is electable. Trump would eat him alive on stop -and -frisk and the banning of 32 0z. cokes alone...his 2A record would certainly be problematic for him. It would make for an entertaining debate, but I would wager that the majority of those voters who are not firmly entrenched on either side would not view NYC as a model of government that they can get behind. Bloomberg beating Biden, Warren, Sanders, and Mayor Pete seems pretty far -fetched at this point. But then again I'm sure Jeb and the crew were saying the same thing about PDJT.
Anyone who votes for Trump over Bloomberg based on the sugary drinks thing is voting for Trump no matter what. That is not going to swing a single vote.

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: UAH

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North
Anyone who votes for Trump over Bloomberg based on the sugary drinks thing is voting for Trump no matter what. That is not going to swing a single vote.
There are a ton of folks out there that are tired of Nanny State Policies. If you don't think that is an issue, then we interact with totally different types of people...which is ok.

I am sure there are a ton of folks out there that think the government should be much more regulatory about what it allows vendors to sell. But to casually dismiss it as a non-issue? I can list a handful of democrats who wouldn't vote for him based on his NYC policies.

Reactions: crimsonaudio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!ā€></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.