Politics: 2020 General Election thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Black groups are holding voter registration drives in Mississippi. A state election commissioner wants people to step up and counteract that.
She is saying that her words are being twisted and that she didn't mean it that way. I have tried hard to come up with a second interpretation and all I get is racism no matter where I land.

Not sure how blacks in MS can hope for a fair election with this woman in charge.

Reactions: Go Bama

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
She is saying that her words are being twisted and that she didn't mean it that way. I have tried hard to come up with a second interpretation and all I get is racism no matter where I land.

Not sure how blacks in MS can hope for a fair election with this woman in charge.
she assures people that she is the least racist person she knows.

Reactions: Jon and B1GTide

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

She doesn’t seem to be over the whole state, just “Beat 1”, however big that is.

I went back and read it again and tried to see if her thoughts just came out the wrong way. But I don’t see it as anything other than “blacks are getting registered, whites need to step it up”.

This was also a written message intended for a private audience. It wasn’t an off the cuff remark in a press conference.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and UAH

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From an opinion piece in Newsweek by Fmr US Senator Timothy Wirth and Tom Rogers
How Trump Could Lose the Election—And Still Remain President | Opinion
Something like the following scenario is not just possible but increasingly probable because it is clear Trump will do anything to avoid the moniker he hates more than any other: "loser."

Trump actually tweeted on June 22: "Rigged 2020 election: millions of mail-in ballots will be printed by foreign countries, and others. It will be the scandal of our times!" With this, Trump has begun to lay the groundwork for the step-by-step process by which he holds on to the presidency after he has clearly lost the election:

1. Biden wins the popular vote, and carries the key swing states of Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania by decent but not overwhelming margins.
  2. Trump immediately declares that the voting was rigged, that there was mail-in ballot fraud and that the Chinese were behind a plan to provide fraudulent mail-in ballots and other "election hacking" throughout the four key swing states that gave Biden his victory.
  3. Having railed against the Chinese throughout the campaign, calling Biden "soft on China," Trump delivers his narrative claiming the Chinese have interfered in the U.S. election.
  4. Trump indicates this is a major national security issue, and he invokes emergency powers, directing the Justice Department to investigate the alleged activity in the swing states. The legal justification for the presidential powers he invokes has already been developed and issued by Barr.
  5. The investigation is intended to tick down the clock toward December 14, the deadline when each state's Electoral College electors must be appointed. This is the very issue that the Supreme Court harped on in Bush v. Gore in ruling that the election process had to be brought to a close, thus forbidding the further counting of Florida ballots.
  6. All four swing states have Republican control of both their upper and lower houses of their state legislatures. Those state legislatures refuse to allow any Electoral College slate to be certified until the "national security" investigation is complete.
  7. The Democrats will have begun a legal action to certify the results in those four states, and the appointment of the Biden slate of electors, arguing that Trump has manufactured a national security emergency in order to create the ensuing chaos.
  8. The issue goes up to the Supreme Court, which unlike the 2000 election does not decide the election in favor of the Republicans. However, it indicates again that the December 14 Electoral College deadline must be met; that the president's national security powers legally authorize him to investigate potential foreign country intrusion into the national election; and if no Electoral College slate can be certified by any state by December 14, the Electoral College must meet anyway and cast its votes.
  9. The Electoral College meets, and without the electors from those four states being represented, neither Biden nor Trump has sufficient votes to get an Electoral College majority.
  10. The election is thrown into the House of Representatives, pursuant to the Constitution. Under the relevant constitutional process, the vote in the House is by state delegation, where each delegation casts one vote, which is determined by the majority of the representatives in that state.
  11. Currently, there are 26 states that have a majority Republican House delegation. 23 states have a majority Democratic delegation. There is one state, Pennsylvania, that has an evenly split delegation. Even if the Democrats were to pick up seats in Pennsylvania and hold all their 2018 House gains, the Republicans would have a 26 to 24 delegation majority.
  12. This vote would enable Trump to retain the presidency.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From an opinion piece in Newsweek by Fmr US Senator Timothy Wirth and Tom Rogers
A friend linked this earlier on Facebook. I hope that the popular vote and the victories will be overwhelming. We'll see. I predicted a constitutional crisis way back when this jerk was elected...

Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Also, this scenario depends on the SCOTUS basically going along with sweeping presidential national security orders. I don't see that happening unless someone dies untimely between now and November...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It isn’t surprising more Democrats voted in the primary as they were the only ones who really had a reason to vote. The Republicans only showed up to show support for the dear orange leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.