Politics: 2020 General Election thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There are a few. If they haven't left the church over him, the LBGT issue has. Our present pastor has a biracial adopted child. That scraped out a few who should have left long ago...
Wow. That is just sad and not very Christian. I suppose they see themselves as having an open heart and mind.

We just got a new preacher. From looking at his FB page, I think his views might ruffle the feathers of some of your ex-parishioners.

Reactions: Go Bama and B1GTide

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Methodist here who never set foot on the SS Trump.
Same here. We, too, have lost quite a few members recently due to the LGBTQ issue within the church. I hate it because some of these people are good friends with whom I have been on missions. They have a good heart, but they interpret the Bible differently than I do. I can't fault anyone for doing what they think is right.

Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wow. That is just sad and not very Christian. I suppose they see themselves as having an open heart and mind.

We just got a new preacher. From looking at his FB page, I think his views might ruffle the feathers of some of your ex-parishioners.
I don't think it was really his family situation, TBF. They thought he was too liberal on the LBGT issue as well. He conducts services in a while alb with a tiny rainbow ribbon on his collar. They had been unhappy with the prior pastor as being too liberal also - and he was here 11 years. In fact, he's just retired and come back as a part-time pastor emeritus, so now they have two to contend with. I think it was just cumulative. About 30% or so of UMC members feel the church has become too liberal in many areas, the LBGT being the main one. A schism is inevitable and it won't even be mainly over race...

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide and 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Same here. We, too, have lost quite a few members recently due to the LGBTQ issue within the church. I hate it because some of these people are good friends with whom I have been on missions. They have a good heart, but they interpret the Bible differently than I do. I can't fault anyone for doing what they think is right.
I can and do. Bigotry is bigotry, even if it is taught.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think it was really his family situation, TBF. They thought he was too liberal on the LBGT issue as well. He conducts services in a while alb with a tiny rainbow ribbon on his collar. They had been unhappy with the prior pastor as being too liberal alss - and he was here 11 years. In fact, he's just retired and come back as a part-time pastor emeritus, so now they have two to contend with. I think it was just cumulative. About 30% or so of UMC members feel the church has become too liberal in many areas, the LBGT being the main one. A schism is inevitable and it won't even be mainly over race...
This is why I struggle with religion (not faith). Doctrines can be too dogmatic and lead to hate and bigotry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.