2020 Presidential Election Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Since I was the last one I guess I have to start the next one.... Kill it then refill it Rule? Lol have fun.

Last Page Part I
To answer your question, I think the debates swung the election for JFK in 1960, although I wasn’t alive then. Reagan asking if you were better off than you were four years ago clinched it for him.

81usaf92

Hall of Fame
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
To answer your question, I think the debates swung the election for JFK in 1960, although I wasn’t alive then. Reagan asking if you were better off than you were four years ago clinched it for him.
JFK vs Nixon is a maybe. But I still think Reagan was probably going to win even if he had a bad performance vs Carter due to the Iran hostage crisis. Plus Carter was the guy who beat a Republican Incumbent that barely won the primary that no one elected as a VP or POTUS and had to fight off a difficult primary as an incumbent himself. Granted he did himself no favors by talking about his daughter and nuclear bombs full well knowing Reagan had his leaked notes.

But I guess those would be the closest that a debate had election swinging impact. Trump is desperately trying to get Biden in the mud by getting him to debate.

Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It’ll be an interesting argument.

On the Democrat side, they will paint Trump as the obliviot he paints himself.

On the Republican side, they will paint the Democrats as advocating, or at least turning a willful blind eye toward, lawlessness and violence.

Both sides have legitimate points. Whose argument carries the day? I don’t know.

If Harris wants to keep her bona fides as a prosecutor, she has to come out against riots and destruction of property....as distinguished from peaceful protests. If she doesn’t, she’s just another politician, not a difference-maker.

The silence from the Democratic leadership (Biden, Pelosi, Harris, Schumer) on this is as deafening as Trump’s tweets.

Lord, I hate the current political environment.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

All-American
Feb 12, 2006
The only way I would get one the stage with Trump is my whole strategy would to correct his every statement.

For instance, Trump "the only way we lose this election is if it is rigged." Biden "Donald, I think you meant to say the only way we win this election is if its rigged." I would take every volley and hit it right back at him.

Reactions: uafanataum

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The only way I would get one the stage with Trump is my whole strategy would to correct his every statement.

For instance, Trump "the only way we lose this election is if it is rigged." Biden "Donald, I think you meant to say the only way we win this election is if its rigged." I would take every volley and hit it right back at him.
I don't think it would work, really. In Trump, you have someone who tells a whopper with every breath. If you answer them, then it's your word against his. Most of his opponents know they're lies. Most of his supporters already believe them. I'm afraid a lot of independents would be left scratching their heads and, meanwhile, you haven't been able to present any positive ideas...

Reactions: JDCrimson

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Time will tell, but antifa is a hot-button issue for some (not just trump supporters): www.antifa.com
There are several extremist groups like this out there, and they try to garner support by pretending to be either right or left - they are neither.

I agree that they are a concern, but I am not sure how a person who has educated him/her self can possibly vote GOP/DNC based on the behavior of extremist groups. Both the GOP and DNC want them gone, as they are an equal threat to them both.

That said, almost no one going to the polls really understands or cares about the details.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
There are several extremist groups like this out there, and they try to garner support by pretending to be either right or left - they are neither.

I agree that they are a concern, but I am not sure how a person who has educated him/her self can possibly vote GOP/DNC based on the behavior of extremist groups. Both the GOP and DNC want them gone, as they are an equal threat to them both.

That said, almost no one going to the polls really understands or cares about the details.
antifa is and has been being presented as a boogey man so that folks can play "both sides" with what is happening in our country.

https://atlantaantifa.org

here is the actual website of the atlanta group. this is who we are being told is an existential threat to law and order in our country

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
antifa is and has been being presented as a boogey man so that folks can play "both sides" with what is happening in our country.
I agree that - generally speaking (which is how you have to talk about large groups anyway) antifa is the boogeyman.

But I know some dem voters who recoil at some of the actions that have happened in their name, things they've either directly done or not distanced themselves from.

I'd think B1G is correct that an extreme group won't determine someone's vote - but I do think things like this can keep some folks at home. The last thing Biden needs is a low turnout.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
JFK vs Nixon is a maybe. But I still think Reagan was probably going to win even if he had a bad performance vs Carter due to the Iran hostage crisis. Plus Carter was the guy who beat a Republican Incumbent that barely won the primary that no one elected as a VP or POTUS and had to fight off a difficult primary as an incumbent himself. Granted he did himself no favors by talking about his daughter and nuclear bombs full well knowing Reagan had his leaked notes.

But I guess those would be the closest that a debate had election swinging impact. Trump is desperately trying to get Biden in the mud by getting him to debate.
Nixon and Carter had virtually the same difficulty, they were faced with an opponent who was a much better communicator than they were. Nixon with his dark beard and perspiration under the lights made a very poor showing and lost a very close election. Carter had absolutely nothing going for him: failure of the Iran hostage rescue attempt, long waiting lines at service stations for the first time, runaway inflation, a public not buying into his austerity message and a desperate rabbit that became headline news. The greatest debate performance of all time likely would not have saved him.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree that - generally speaking (which is how you have to talk about large groups anyway) antifa is the boogeyman.

But I know some dem voters who recoil at some of the actions that have happened in their name, things they've either directly done or not distanced themselves from.

I'd think B1G is correct that an extreme group won't determine someone's vote - but I do think things like this can keep some folks at home. The last thing Biden needs is a low turnout.
ok, i see what you're saying now. just mho, but i don't think low turnout is going to be a major issue for biden.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Fourteenessee
ok, i see what you're saying now. just mho, but i don't think low turnout is going to be a major issue for biden.
After seeing the turnout in Washington yesterday, I think you are right.

Even so, I'm not still seeing signs, bumper stickers, billboards, pins or any hint that "the most important election in American history" is about to take place in sixty-six day. Maybe it's too early.

OTOH, Facebook is chock full of people, especially Trump supporters, who are posting multiple times daily.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Even so, I'm not still seeing signs, bumper stickers, billboards, pins or any hint that "the most important election in American history" is about to take place in sixty-six day. Maybe it's too early.

OTOH, Facebook is chock full of people, especially Trump supporters, who are posting multiple times daily.
full of sound and fury ;)

karl rove was positive in 2012 that the number of romney yard signs he saw around the country were suggesting a massive win for the repubs

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

It would be good to add the Lincoln Project Unite Group on your Facebook there are 130,000 members who are totally anti Trump. Even then it is difficult for anyone to gain a balanced perspective of a candidates support on social media.

Reactions: MobtownK
Status
Not open for further replies.

TF Shop : NATIONAL CHAMP GEAR!

TideFans.Shop - Get your Bama Championship gear here!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.

Latest threads