2020 Presidential Election Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
antifa is and has been being presented as a boogey man so that folks can play "both sides" with what is happening in our country.

https://atlantaantifa.org

here is the actual website of the atlanta group. this is who we are being told is an existential threat to law and order in our country
The both sides business is an attempt to normalize the crazies on the right

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The only signs I have seen are one or two for Tubby. I have also seen a huge Trump flag near where I live.

My FB feed is mostly pro-Trump but that is a reflection of most of the people I have encountered in life being pro-Trump.

On my community page someone posted an article about Alabama football players planning a march for social justice. It got a response from a person who said they were done with Alabama football. From looking at her profile page, I suspect she would be OKKK if they all donned MAGA hats.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Going by my neighborhood (just under 1200 registered), Jones is smashing Tuberville, and he will probably carry the mountain handily...
It would be interesting to know if Jones can win in the same precincts as he did in the last election by approximately the same percentages. Will his constituency turn out in higher numbers in the general election or will that equal out with Republicans going to the polls in greater numbers. There are going to be a number of intriguing Senatorial elections for the pollsters.

Reactions: seebell

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The only signs I have seen are one or two for Tubby. I have also seen a huge Trump flag near where I live.

My FB feed is mostly pro-Trump but that is a reflection of most of the people I have encountered in life being pro-Trump.

On my community page someone posted an article about Alabama football players planning a march for social justice. It got a response from a person who said they were done with Alabama football. From looking at her profile page, I suspect she would be OKKK if they all donned MAGA hats.
I noticed an equal number of angry responses to likes on my FB page as well. Not a very good look from so called Alabama football fans IMO!

• Thank You
Reactions: TexasBama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It would be interesting to know if Jones can win in the same precincts as he did in the last election by approximately the same percentages. Will his constituency turn out in higher numbers in the general election or will that equal out with Republicans going to the polls in greater numbers. There are going to be a number of intriguing Senatorial elections for the pollsters.
Well, in 2017, he carried the precinct by 97.59%. However, straight party voting (Democratic) was 99%, so I'm not sure how those two fit. The only other issues were three separate school taxes, two of which were an extension. They all carried by 3/1. Not your typical box, even by HSV standards...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think it's a little early. Most politicians say you crank up after Labor Day. It will ramp up significantly then and about 3-4 weeks before ED. Most everyone has made up their mind imo.

The challenge over the next few weeks is targeting the values and morals of the conservative Rs who may not be all in on Trump. You know, the message what are you gonna do in that booth when is no one is looking. Are you going to bend to hate, corruption, racism, lawlessness, and indifference to plight of ordinary folks just like you regardless of race or creed?

Reactions: crimsonaudio

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I live in a very conservative portion of a state (NJ) that is very liberal. But with NJ hit so hard by the Coronavirus - so many dead or severely ill - I was certain that folks in my area would see Trump for his failures in this crisis. But they just don't. They readily admit his character flaws. I mean, folks in NJ have known Trump for what he is for decades. But they think that America "needs" Trump.

🤷‍♂️

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I live in a very conservative portion of a state (NJ) that is very liberal. But with NJ hit so hard by the Coronavirus - so many dead or severely ill - I was certain that folks in my area would see Trump for his failures in this crisis. But they just don't. They readily admit his character flaws. I mean, folks in NJ have known Trump for what he is for decades. But they think that America "needs" Trump.

🤷‍♂️
In a flip, I live in a very liberal neighborhood in a very conservative state... :)

Reactions: 92tide and B1GTide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

🤷‍♂️
the other stuff he does is unseemly, for sure, but it's not a deal breaker. racism is the most important ideal.

Reactions: B1GTide

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Out on lake martin for a few days a few weeks back and saw 1 Tubby flag on a Maga Boat and plenty of Trump flags

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
the other stuff he does is unseemly, for sure, but it's not a deal breaker. racism is the most important ideal.
I agree, but people who support him do not see him as a racist in any way.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In answer to 81's question, "No," a Presidential debate has never won a single election.
Not. One. Time.

But the press myth about them is that they have. My suspicion is that this is little more than wanting to make things they cover of more importance than they are, but it's never happened.

A myth grew out of the 1960 JFK-Nixon debate - one that basically said Kennedy wiped the floor with Nixon and it put him on equal ground with the experienced Vice-President. That may or may not have been true, but that story is only about the FIRST debate. The rest of the debates are not even mentioned most of the time as though there was only one. In fact, there were FOUR, and JFK only "won" the first one - and only with the TV audience; those who heard the debate but didn't see Nixon sweating thought the VP won.

That myth is largely part of why there were no debates again for 16 years. And despite the myth around it, Ford didn't lose the election because of the remark about Poland, either. What he DID lose, however, was a week of time in a race he began 33 points behind and lost by 2 (and would have won with just a change of about 10,000 or so votes in two states).

As far as Reagan-Carter, well, YES....it's true that Reagan basically gained about one point per day from the day of the debate until the Election Day one week later. But how much of that was people getting up and hearing "today is the first anniversary of the hostages being captured in Iran"? The economy in 1980 was the worst I ever can recall as a child (and I lived through a bakery strike in England).

And do they matter in that sense? The only thing about a debate in the visual age for President is: a) you get to see both candidates on stage next to each other for probably the only time; b) you figure out which one you "like" better.

A lot of this is nothing more than two girls running for class office President and the purdier one (however defined) wins. It shouldn't be that - but unfortunately it is.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
In a flip, I live in a very liberal neighborhood in a very conservative state... :)
i am not sure what type of neighborhood i live in as to liberal/conservative. 55+ community but several have taken in younger family in the last 3 months. only trump signs visible. quite a few snowbirds. i feel like kevin mccarthy from the 1950's version of invasion of the body snatchers... about to lose my mind trying to figure out who has been bodysnatched by trump. i wish they would show themselves so i can run the other way.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Rep. Steve Scalise on Sunday removed a video he had posted on Twitter of an edited interview between Joe Biden and a disabled liberal activist after backlash that the clip was "doctored" to portray the Democratic presidential nominee as supporting the defunding of police.
"These are not my words. I have lost my ability to speak, but not my agency or my thoughts," Barkan, who has ALS and speaks through computerized voice assistance, tweeted in reaction to the video on Sunday night. "You and your team have doctored my words for your own political gain. Please remove this video immediately. You owe the entire disability community an apology."

• Angry
Reactions: Go Bama

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I'm more surprised at 12.8% saying third party. I think thit'd party votes were arround 5% in 2016. So the military members are saying they will vote for a third party candidate more than double the national average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.