2020 Presidential Election part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think Carter helped himself bringing in his Georgia mafia
Probably not.

However - let's go in the mindset of those guys, and I think it's understandable why it happened.

Carter was a generally decent human being (he played more race cards than any candidate you can name, but okay, that's politics and he was a Southerner). When he ran as an "outsider," he genuinely meant it. Most "outsiders" who run and win - Eisenhower, Clinton, Obama, even Reagan up to a point - understand that you play that game and THEN you have to run the government. Carter stunned his own people because he actually meant it.

But then remember this: you have a bunch of redneck Southerners who took a guy that NOBODY outside the state knew, won the Presidential nomination and then the election, all in less than two years - I mean, you'd be kind of arrogant, too, and think you knew more than you did. So they shut out their liaisons between the White House and Capitol Hill, and they never understood the benefit of the small gesture. (When Reagan took office, James Baker made a point to call back EVERY SINGLE Congressperson who left him a message THAT DAY, even if it was 9 o'clock and no matter how small that person's district was or what his party was. He practiced that the first four years and built bridges to Congress. Don Regan came in and blew them all apart. Tip O'Neill had so low a view for Carter that he referred to Hamilton Jordan, one of Carter's right-hand men, as "Hamilton Jerking").

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Yeah, and the GOP selected Trump - TWICE. If the democrats are a mess, what does that make the GOP? Because, whatever you want to call the GOP it, it is worse than the democrats.
That is definitely fair, the GOP is a poop show right now (mostly thanks to Trump and their feeling that they need to back him in full).

But I would have thought finding someone to beat Trump handily would have been easy (given the virus, the economy, Trump's terrible attitude/antics). Instead they decide to stake their chances on the old white man career politician which is exactly what I feel like a lot of "swing" voters voted AGAINST in 2016...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That is definitely fair, the GOP is a poop show right now (mostly thanks to Trump and their feeling that they need to back him in full).

But I would have thought finding someone to beat Trump handily would have been easy (given the virus, the economy, Trump's terrible attitude/antics). Instead they decide to stake their chances on the old white man career politician which is exactly what I feel like a lot of "swing" voters voted AGAINST in 2016...
The swing voters stayed home because Hillary condescended to all but her base. But I agree that both parties need to select better candidates.

Reactions: REBELZED

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The swing voters stayed home because Hillary condescended to all but her base. But I agree that both parties need to select better candidates.
please. she won by 3 million votes. about 70k votes in a few midwest counties made the difference. and that was with unprecedented outside interference from russia and a b.s. press conference by comey 10 days out from the election.

and reality has proved she was correct, if not undershooting, with her deplorables comment

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
please. she won by 3 million votes. about 70k votes in a few midwest counties made the difference. and that was with unprecedented outside interference from russia and a b.s. press conference by comey 10 days out from the election.

and reality has proved she was correct, if not undershooting, with her deplorables comment
2 things made a difference, but one most of all. The GOP worked hard to keep blacks in swing states in the midwest from voting. It worked. But if you look at the things that they ran - they were made possible by Hillary's own words.

Hillary was the perfect candidate to allow someone like trump into office. I refused to vote for her. Not that my vote mattered in NJ, but I am sure that many people were like me - turned off by her attitudes.

Don't get me wrong - I never bought into the garbage about her emails. But she is simply not a likeable person.

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
2 things made a difference, but one most of all. The GOP worked hard to keep blacks in swing states in the midwest from voting. It worked. But if you look at the things that they ran - they were made possible by Hillary's own words.

Hillary was the perfect candidate to allow someone like trump into office. I refused to vote for her. Not that my vote mattered in NJ, but I am sure that many people were like me - turned off by her attitudes.

Don't get me wrong - I never bought into the garbage about her emails. But she is simply not a likeable person.
We were given two hands so that we could pull the lever for Hillary and hold our nose with the other.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

she was the boogey person du jour for 25+ years. that takes it's toll.

Reactions: B1GTide

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Reactions: B1GTide and Jon

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Letter from Republican strategist Steve Schmidt:
"I wish Trump and Melania an expeditious recovery and hope very much that they will be in good health as they face electoral humiliation, repudiation and the harsh judgment of the American people on Election Day. Trump’s lying has become one of the most lethal events in our nation’s history. If US mortality rates were what they are in Germany, more than 150,000 Americans would still be alive. Trump’s cruel disregard for the American people has ravaged our economy, our kid’s educations and fundamental elements of the American way of life. There is no person in America that has done more to spread Covid than Trump and no one has tried harder to catch it. Trump couldn’t have been more personally reckless than if he went to Sturgess and licked the doorknobs on the porta-johns. He politicized mask wearing and thus sentenced tens of thousands to cruel and lonely deaths. He has let loose a national insanity that manifests itself in the lunacy of anti-mask protesters storming Walmart’s and supermarkets in spasms of idiocy and craziness. His political rallies are dangerously delusional events where the advice of public health experts and MD’s is stupidly ignored. Each gathering spreads a disease that kills. It kills here more than anywhere else. This week has stripped bare the rotting and vile roots of Trumpism. It began with the revelation that the great conman and tax cheat paid $750 in Federal taxes and owes more than 400 million to undisclosed lenders, much of it personally guaranteed against no discernible income. The debate was a moment of national humiliation that disgraced the Presidency, the United States and the American people. At the end of the debate Trump incited extremist militia groups by delivering what they interpreted as a weapons ready order from the Commander in Chief. Heavily armed fascist Proud Boys, Oath Keepers and dozens of white supremacist groups heard a lock and load order. Ask them. Believe them. Take them seriously. Trump has threatened the peaceful transition of power and intimated violence should he lose. He has made clear that his loss would be THE evidence of a stolen election. He has made up false and wild stories about corrupted ballots for the purposes of undermining faith in our election’s integrity. These are unpardonable actions for an American President and they desecrate the sacrifice of every patriot from the fields at Lexington and Concord to Gettysburg, Normandy and the Edmund Pettus Bridge. Trump has lied to the country on more than 25,000 occasions, assaulted the rule of law, assailed our institutions, stoked racial animus and been spectacularly corrupt. He is singularly responsible for one of the great tragedies in American history. His campaign is imploding. Paracale, Miller, Guilfoyle, Melania, all of them have disgraced themselves and stained the Presidency. They are a wretched, corrupt and self interested gang of incompetents and maliced people who have done profound damage to this country in four short years. There should be no political mercy shown towards Trump and Trumpism in this moment. Mr. Vice President, your duty requires you to order your campaign to put its’ ads back on the air. Joe Biden, Trump is out of money. Spend him into the ground. Georgia is close. Mike Espy is close in Mississippi. The Kansas Senate race is close. Trumpism is an authoritarian and UNAMERICAN ideology that teems with menace and intimations of violence. It is a cult of personality led by a lethal liar who lacks intelligence, grace, empathy and competence. Trumpism is a scourge. It is a metastatic cancer. We need to crush it. Should Trump be disadvantaged in this moment then we should rejoice. Pour it on. Vote him out. No let up. The pace and intensity of attacks should be increasing and should not stop until he is humiliated and sent home to face the judgment of history and in hopefully a good long time, his maker."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.