Alabama: 2021-2022 Season - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
Congrats to the players and staff for B2B tourney bids, no small feat. No sense rehashing a season-long litany of issues that all manifested gloriously in this game. JQ wouldn‘t have made a difference in the outcome. It’s not luck anymore when a player or team goes off and can’t miss. That doesn’t happen to teams like Texas Tech. I remain high on Oats. It’s his job to evaluate and make the changes that need to be made w.r.t. personnel and scheme. Next season will be an immediate indicator if he can. I will root for TT to demolish ND. They got away with murder today and didn’t need the help.

As bad as our dashed expectations are, imagine being Big Blue Nation right now! 😂

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
This team never really considered what they wanted to get out of the season imo. The on court decision-making was very poor in the last half of the season. The backcourt way under achieved in all respects. Poor ball handling, poor shooting, and poor defense.

Oats needs to retool the roster for next year.
4F30EBF5-CD54-4D75-8E69-89F1C02A0CAC.gif

Reactions: GboyBama

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Hammer meets nail. Leadership and chemistry. Herb, Petty, and Reese were the “run stoppers”. Last year when the other team started to get on a roll, one these guys stepped up and hit the big shot or made the play to stop that momentum.

Look , people can throw blame at CNO all they want for this season. And yes “the buck does stop” ultimately with him. But you can’t force “chemistry”. That comes playing together, trusting each other, liking each other and caring about each other. Yes they played together, but I’m not so sure about liking trusting and caring about each other. Leadership? I really never got any sense there was a guy or two on this team that represented “the glue”.

That IMO is what CNO has to figure out going into next year. You can bring in all the top 10 recruiting classes you want. But if can’t find that “glue” that makes roster of very talented individuals one cohesive team, then system means nothing.

RTR
Shouldn’t it be the coach’s job to develop and bring out leadership and chemistry?

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
Shouldn’t it be the coach’s job to develop and bring out leadership and chemistry?
I coached volleyball for 17 years, some of my least talented teams won championships, some of my most talented never made the tourney. Same coach. Same guidance. Same schemes. Used every lever I had. At some point, the players have to own results too. It’s shared accountability, but the same points we’ve raised on this board are the same points Oats has expressed in pressers. You can’t make players ”just do it.” Yes, you can sit the whole team and play the walk ons, but the team still made NCCAT and you keep hoping at the right time the light comes on. Oats probably thought at early SEC exit today might happen, but with only JQ at the voluntary shoot around, he likely knew today would happen. Excited to see his growth as a coach and what he now does about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.