Alabama: 2021-2022 Season - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
He also said only 3 showed for another voluntary shoot around this morning. That says a lot about this team but…

Why are you having voluntary practices during a tournament? Would Saban do that during the CFP?
At some level, shooting was no longer our problem, but I would have been at every opportunity provided to not let my teammates down.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
This has been the most frustrating season in my memory.

There were a few Gottfried teams that got my hopes up and dashed them, but this one had mine sky high after the Gonzaga win.

The news about a shoot around last night is the cherry on top of the crap cake. There needs to be a great deal of personnel turnover. You are wasting everyone's time, including your own, if you are just going to pout through a season.

Just something personal. I'm nearing 40. 39 this year. I don't feel it, and lot of times I have to remind myself... I'm twice these guys age. But I cannot understand the lack of a will to fight. Talented or not, you have complete control over your effort. I get it that 18-22 year olds are still developing mental character and toughness, but damn...

I don't blame Coach Oats. But I sure hope he learns a lot about character judgement from this season.

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
This has been the most frustrating season in my memory.

There were a few Gottfried teams that got my hopes up and dashed them, but this one had mine sky high after the Gonzaga win.

The news about a shoot around last night is the cherry on top of the crap cake. There needs to be a great deal of personnel turnover. You are wasting everyone's time, including your own, if you are just going to pout through a season.

Just something personal. I'm nearing 40. 39 this year. I don't feel it, and lot of times I have to remind myself... I'm twice these guys age. But I cannot understand the lack of a will to fight. Talented or not, you have complete control over your effort. I get it that 18-22 year olds are still developing mental character and toughness, but damn...

I don't blame Coach Oats. But I sure hope he learns a lot about character judgement from this season.
There are legendary stories of Steph Curry having to be drug out of the gym during the NCAAT because he wanted to be as familiar with the rims as possible. And he shot Davidson to an Elite Eight.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Our kids played hard, but they do not possess polished basketball talent. They do not consistently make basketball plays. And their coaches don’t appear to be helping them..
I agree that it isn't all on the players, but you seem to be totally giving them a pass in this post. Oats can clearly lead and coach. His career success speaks volumes. He needs to learn from this. But the players who quit - they need a come to Jesus meeting and if they don't respond with the right attitude, they need to be released.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Our kids played hard, but they do not possess polished basketball talent. They do not consistently make basketball plays. And their coaches don’t appear to be helping them..
Playing hard isn’t enough. Preparation is essential and they decided to not prepare.

Here’s how Oats can successfully handle it:

Tell them to commit to excellence and everything it takes to achieve it or hit the portal.

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
I agree that it isn't all on the players, but you seem to be totally giving them a pass in this post. Oats can clearly lead and coach. His career success speaks volumes. He needs to learn from this. But the players who quit - they need a come to Jesus meeting and if they don't respond with the right attitude, they need to be released.
Amen. Oats was COY last year and no to the ‘“but those were Avery’s players“ crowd. What did CAJ do with them? Next year will show a lot, about Oats’ growth as an elite coach, or not, and current players.

Reactions: BamaMike05

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They do not.

They play hard in spurts, but its gotten rare as the season has worn on.

There can be several reasons for this, including a lack of confidence (so not necessarily a lack of effort or desire).

I do agree, however, that when they do turn it on, they often make stupid plays. Bad passes, crappy shots that have no chance of going in, etc. Something broke the chemistry of this team. Like I said, I hope Coach Oats figures out what it was, and then either corrects or rids the program of it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
He also said only 3 showed for another voluntary shoot around this morning. That says a lot about this team but…

Why are you having voluntary practices during a tournament? Would Saban do that during the CFP?
Probably in addition to NCAA-restricted practices, which is likely why it was voluntary to begin with. Can't fault a man for following the rules. It's not like this is the other team down 82 that sees the rules as mere suggestions.

Last edited:

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I coached volleyball for 17 years, some of my least talented teams won championships, some of my most talented never made the tourney. Same coach. Same guidance. Same schemes. Used every lever I had. At some point, the players have to own results too. It’s shared accountability, but the same points we’ve raised on this board are the same points Oats has expressed in pressers. You can’t make players ”just do it.” Yes, you can sit the whole team and play the walk ons, but the team still made NCCAT and you keep hoping at the right time the light comes on. Oats probably thought at early SEC exit today might happen, but with only JQ at the voluntary shoot around, he likely knew today would happen. Excited to see his growth as a coach and what he now does about it.
This is so true. Watched the teams my son played on in HS do this. One year the team was immensely talented but there were multiple kids trying to be the alpha and tried to out do the others and the team suffered. There was no real leadership and the team had a losing record. Fast forward a year and those immensley talented kids were gone and the new crop of Seniors were leaders and the best of friends and worked to have a cohesive team, lifting each other up when necessary. That less talented team went deep into the playoffs.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Teams generally lose for a reason most of the time its a lack of effort or interest. Teams short on talent and deep with grit tend to outperform expectations. This team was the former.

In some respects, everyone of these players needs to be told if you think you are going to earn a living playing basketball the way you did this season, you need to consider another career path quick.

This is so true. Watched the teams my son played on in HS do this. One year the team was immensely talented but there were multiple kids trying to be the alpha and tried to out do the others and the team suffered. There was no real leadership and the team had a losing record. Fast forward a year and those immensley talented kids were gone and the new crop of Seniors were leaders and the best of friends and worked to have a cohesive team, lifting each other up when necessary. That less talented team went deep into the playoffs.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
A most frustrating season is finally over. I hope to see some roster changes during the offseason.
Hoping the roster change includes an assistant coach or two. Absolutely no doubt the current staff can recruit top talent. Their ability to develop players and make adjustments in game is lacking.

I also hope JD comes back because he has talent. Honestly do not see the lottery pick talent today but, he can develop into an NBA player if he works hard.

Reactions: bama1992#1

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
Hoping the roster change includes an assistant coach or two. Absolutely no doubt the current staff can recruit top talent. Their ability to develop players and make adjustments in game is lacking.
Can recruit, yes. But let's not get carried away on the talent level on this team. On paper, among the players who actually played, outside of JD and Bediako, and JQ as a transfer, the recruiting is good, not great. Good for Alabama. Ellis, Gary (considering his knee injury), and Rojas (2 knee injuries) have overachieved.

Reactions: bama1992#1

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.