Game Thread: 2021 AFC and NFC Championship Games (1/30/22)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
AFC Championship
Cincinnati Bengals (10-7) at Kansas City Chiefs (12-5)
Betting line: Chiefs -7
Kickoff at 3pm EST (CBS)

NFC Championship
San Francisco 49ers (10-7) at Los Angeles Rams (12-5)
Betting line: Rams -4.5
Kickoff at 630 pm EST (FOX)

And then there were four - and not one damned word about "but the 49ers shouldn't be there because they didn't even win their division!" These might be some good games that could continue one of the most exciting sets of playoff games in NFL history.

The Bengals are 6-2 against playoff teams, including a 34-31 win over the Chiefs at Paul Brown Stadium in the next-to-last game of the regular season, a loss that basically knocked the Chiefs out of the number one seed in the AFC playoffs. The Chiefs, however, are 8-3 against playoff teams and in their fourth straight AFC Championship game, all at Arrowhead Stadium, and the Chiefs are 2-1, the sole loss coming in overtime to Teaser Tom Brady. This game may represent the future of the AFC as well, with the talented Joe Burrow leading his charges into the game with the already established among the best QBs in the lead Patrick Mahomes. I'll be rooting for the Bengals for the upset, but I honestly expect KC will likely win.

The NFC, meanwhile, takes us back to a rematch of an NFC title game that occurred less than one month before Buster Douglas flattened Mike Tyson. It is doubtful that this game will have the same 30-3 result that one did - and it's meaningless trivia anyway since nobody in that game is playing in this one - but how great the game will be, nobody knows. Two of the Rams' five losses have been to the 49ers, a blowout in San Fran in week ten (31-10) and an overtime loss to end the regular season at SoFi to end the regular season. While it's debatable about how "tough it is to beat the same team twice in a season," it's NOT debatable that "it's REAL TOUGH to beat the same team THREE TIMES in one season." It's actually EASIER than it is to do it twice in college football.

Since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, there have been 22 occasions where teams met THREE TIMES in one season, the first being the Dolphins-Jets in the 1982 strike expanded playoffs. The team going for the three-sweep is a whopping 14-8 cashing in the third win. And since 1994, the team going for the third win has won TEN OUT OF FOURTEEN TIMES in the third contest. However, it should also be noted that in the vast majority of those cases, the team going for the third win was the HOME TEAM and San Fran is, in fact, the visitor today.

The 49ers are 7-5 against playoff teams, the Rams are 4-5 with as noted two losses coming to the 49ers.

My pick? Rams in a close one.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
My rooting order
1. Rams
2. Bengals
3. 49ers
4. Chiefs

I don't really hate any of the teams but I like Sean McVay and Burrow.

I have a little bit of a grudge with Kyle Shanahan and my Chiefs feelings probably are for Non Sports. But also Mahomes brother is annoying

Mostly just hoping for good football though

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
My rooting order
1. Rams
2. Bengals
3. 49ers
4. Chiefs

I don't really hate any of the teams but I like Sean McVay and Burrow.

I have a little bit of a grudge with Kyle Shanahan and my Chiefs feelings probably are for Non Sports. But also Mahomes brother is annoying

Mostly just hoping for good football though
Shanahan can lose forever as far as I am concerned.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Went 3-1 last week.

Thoughts.

Well… let’s start with the NFC.

NFCCG: 49ers @ Rams: The Super Bowl and NFCCG will be at the same site. Everything points to the Rams except for one little stat… 0-6. 0-6 for what? 0-6 in the last 6 games vs the 49ers. The 49ers do one thing particularly well on offense and it’s run at you. The Rams do one thing particularly bad on defense and it’s being ran on. Sean McVay tried his damndest to lose last week, and is due for a let down. But so is Shanahan. But ultimately I think too much lines up for an upset so I’m taking the 49ers to run the Rams out of the stadium. 49ers 27-17

AFCCG: Bengals @ Chiefs: FTR I’m very much a Chiefs fan as I truly hate the Bungles although I like Taylor. On paper this seems like a blowout but I think it’s far more difficult to pick. I don’t really think the Chiefs defense can hold Burrow like the Titans. And Andy Reid usually finds a way to screw up at this point in the playoffs. But I really think that this might be the Chiefs last great shot at a second SB. The AFC is getting stronger and it’s no longer the AFC we saw from 1-4-20 to 1-22-22. There are alot of teams 1 guy away from being like the Rams this year. I’m not talking about a quarterback situation I’m talking about maybe 1 defensive player or receiver. With the Bucs breaking up in the off-season there are tons of potential to improve rosters. So this maybe the Chiefs last stand.

So take a desperate team or take one that is playing with house money? I’ve gone back and forth with it all week. I don’t trust Andy Reid, the Chiefs defense, or the Chiefs themselves. But ultimately I trust Mahomes to find a way. Chiefs 38-31

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Arrowhead is one of most hostile venues in all of sports. And it feels like a dump to be at. But at the same time I love how easy it is to get in and out of and how tailgate friendly it is.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Arrowhead is one of most hostile venues in all of sports. And it feels like a dump to be at. But at the same time I love how easy it is to get in and out of and how tailgate friendly it is.
The atmosphere is almost like a college atmosphere. One of the reasons I was drawn to the team all those years ago.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The atmosphere is almost like a college atmosphere. One of the reasons I was drawn to the team all those years ago.
Been to 3 NFL games. New Orleans is extremely loud, Kansas City is deafening, and Atlanta you can hear a mouse burp.

KC is just a place that for whatever reason has become a Pittsburgh like place in that it’s a place that just loves their team so much that it becomes part of their culture.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Been to 3 NFL games. New Orleans is extremely loud, Kansas City is deafening, and Atlanta you can hear a mouse burp.
I have been to one Atlanta game. It was when they were pumping in crowd noise illegally. You could tell. It was a game against the Steelers and there were more Steelers fans there than Failcons. It was very noticeable. My friend and I even commented on it. Yet on third down for Pittsburgh it was still very loud. And again we made a comment about that. Then we find out that they were pumping in crowd noise. We were not surprised.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.