2021 coaching carousel

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Gus will bring his Mickey Mouse offense to Orlando? Just seems right. :cool:
A lot of people bag on Gus's base offense for being "Mickey Mouse," but it's not necessarily a bad one. Lot of window dressing, but predicated on running it down your throat with a good option and/or power running scheme, then going play action when the box is stacked.

The weakness is that his passing attack is extremely unsophisticated in spite of all the window dressing. Can't establish the run, for whatever reason (talent on the line these last few years being the biggest fault) and things will quickly fall apart.

Reactions: UAllday

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
UCF is another one of those schools that we think is smaller than it actually is because all we pay attention to is football. Check out the Fall 2019 enrollment for the main Florida schools:
  • 69, 525 - UCF
Any of those Florida schools should be able to compete on a yearly basis if they get a good coach and put some effort behind it.
That’s a huge school! Wow

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
No wonder Sark took the Texas job. He is making lots of money plus other perks. (see link to article below). I remember in one of his interviews, he said he told his father many years ago (maybe 20 years?) that he would be the head coach at Texas one day. I hope he does well, except against Alabama in the upcoming games and in recruiting. Yes, that money is guaranteed. But I hope he can handle the stress physically and mentally and not start drinking again. I am thankful for what he did at Bama.. he has been the best OC Bama has ever had. I hope Bill O'Brien can continue implementing the playbook effectively and add some more wrinkles. RTR

university-texas-regents-approve-football-coach-steve-sarkisian-342-million-contract

Reactions: Con and B1GTide

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Of all the assistants Coach Saban has lost since his time at Alabama this one hurts the most. I believe Sarkisian is an honorable person who was given a second chance by Coach Saban and, believe he will always appreciate the trust and responsibility given him. He has a monumental task ahead of him; while I wish him much success, the burden is now squarely on him to win and leave his imprint on Texas football.

Reactions: Con

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I would not be surprised to see Herman in a year or so at Jacksonville as OC or Alabama as an offensive analyst.
Agree. Herman is probably set for life with his golden parachute from Texas. I cannot imagine an NFL analyst gig being that much of a resume-enhancer for someone with his experience.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Yeah, it's weird. When he has the right players and it's working it's fun to watch, but it seems about half the time it just lurches along.
I still think it has more to do with the defense not doing what it’s supposed to do than it does with the offense doing what it’s supposed to do. That offense counts on buying the fake and moving the wrong way to create easy blocking angles in the run game and buying the play action fake to help the third grade passing tree complete passes. The rest of it is being out of position on trick plays like his fumble roosky nonsense. The only true coaching he’s ever done was the kick six returner in the end zone. This guy got here by riding Mustain’s back, lucked into Cam time, and used transfer quarterbacks that he didn’t develop, and still only had mediocre success at Auburn.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yeah, it's weird. When he has the right players and it's working it's fun to watch, but it seems about half the time it just lurches along.
All I know is he had more blind luck against us than I've ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching college football. maybe the only comparison that I can think of is the success that Notre Dame had against us from '73-'80 in their four games against us. However, in all of four of those games, I always felt at the end that Notre Dame was just better than us. To this day I cannot say the same thing about Auburn in 2013, 2017, or 2019. I STILL think the better team lost all three of those games.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
All I know is he had more blind luck against us than I've ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching college football.
Yeah, at some point you stop calling it blind luck and start looking at the data through a different lens. I get it, some of it was purely luck, but his W/L record wasn't the fluke some want to believe it is.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
All I know is he had more blind luck against us than I've ever seen in nearly 50 years of watching college football. maybe the only comparison that I can think of is the success that Notre Dame had against us from '73-'80 in their four games against us. However, in all of four of those games, I always felt at the end that Notre Dame was just better than us. To this day I cannot say the same thing about Auburn in 2013, 2017, or 2019. I STILL think the better team lost all three of those games.
2017 Saban was in an impossible situation: Tua was the budding star that many had thought he might be and all of the coaches and players saw it, including Jalen, who was free with his praise of him; OTOH, Jalen was the reigning SEC POY, his attitude and work ethic endeared him to CNS and most; Jalen had just pulled out the MSU win with two clutch drives at the end of a game that MSU seemed to dominate, not in yardage but in play and TOP (78 plays to 62), including the game winning 26 yd TD with 25 secs left. How could CNS now bench Jalen? Having said that, Jalen could not handle the hottest team in the nation at their place. Yeah, Bama had more talent but I don't know that they had the best team with the injuries and especially the QB situation.

AU was just very fortunate that Bama could not execute FGs in 13, plus other stuff, and that in 19 one of the ints was flukey enough to turn into a pick six, a 14 point swing in a 3 pt game. With another short FG missed late - it was almost tragi-comical how it was almost expected. A prelude to the NC game which became a dream.

AU's run of luck is probably over now.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
2017 Saban was in an impossible situation: Tua was the budding star that many had thought he might be and all of the coaches and players saw it, including Jalen, who was free with his praise of him; OTOH, Jalen was the reigning SEC POY, his attitude and work ethic endeared him to CNS and most; Jalen had just pulled out the MSU win with two clutch drives at the end of a game that MSU seemed to dominate, not in yardage but in play and TOP (78 plays to 62), including the game winning 26 yd TD with 25 secs left. How could CNS now bench Jalen? Having said that, Jalen could not handle the hottest team in the nation at their place. Yeah, Bama had more talent but I don't know that they had the best team with the injuries and especially the QB situation.

AU was just very fortunate that Bama could not execute FGs in 13, plus other stuff, and that in 19 one of the ints was flukey enough to turn into a pick six, a 14 point swing in a 3 pt game. With another short FG missed late - it was almost tragi-comical how it was almost expected. A prelude to the NC game which became a dream.

AU's run of luck is probably over now.
I hope you're right!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
2017 they were probably better on the field that day than us. We were dealing with a year’s long injury bug and until Clemson we just were never 100%.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.