JessN: 2021 PREVIEWS: SEC West

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
2021 PREVIEWS: SEC West
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-in-Chief

1. Alabama In short, Alabama is one of three SEC teams that have the potential to be dominant in 2021, but only if the offense doesn't lose a step while transitioning from Mac Jones to Bryce Young at quarterback. This is the deepest team in the conference by far and should have one of the best defenses of Nick Saban's tenure.
2. Texas A&M The Aggies have felt they were ready to knock on Alabama's door for a while now already. In 2021, that dream may come true. Texas A&M has more holes that Alabama, but Jimbo Fisher is nothing if not an elite recruiter, and the Aggies have enough overall talent and depth to clearly separate themselves from the rest of the SEC West pack.

CONTINUE READING

2021 Previews

Last edited by a moderator:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Nice write-up, Jess.

I looked at Texas AM's schedule, and on their school site with the schedule, they are the only SEC West school that included the SEC champ. game on their schedule... I guess they think they will make it there. lol. I looked at the other teams, including Bama's, and no other team lists that... they only list the regular season. I thought that was interesting.

I think Texas AM game will be Bama's toughest (especially as an away game), then Florida, then LSU. Miami will be interesting just because it is the first game and D'Eriq King is supposedly healthy. Bama's strength of schedule is pretty tough compared to UGA and Clemson's.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
I think Ole Miss will finish ahead of LSU. Too many uncertainties around the Tigers and I have to see the D improve significantly first and they need to develop some kind of consistency in the running game to help their young QB.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I would normally agree because during the Gus years they tended to over-perform on years when not much was expected and under-perform on years when more was expected. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I think the coach they now have is their version of a Scott Frost. I see the next 3 years being very tough for Auburn fans to stomach and then a firing. It's gonna be great!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The last coach (Gene Chizik) who tried to move the Barn offense in the direction to look more like a Bama offense the results were...marvelous. Hope they can repeat that success!!!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
As usual, Jess is just about right, I could a couple of points but they would be minor.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
After game 1, I think we're probably deeper at RB than we initially thought. Jarquez Hunter is going to be a very good every down back for us in the future.

Also, regarding Shenker, guy had nearly an entire season's worth of receptions in one game had this been a Gus offense. For some oddball reason he never utilized TEs. 5 more catches and he'll have the most of any TE at AU in the last 7 years.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After game 1, I think we're probably deeper at RB than we initially thought. Jarquez Hunter is going to be a very good every down back for us in the future.

Also, regarding Shenker, guy had nearly an entire season's worth of receptions in one game had this been a Gus offense. For some oddball reason he never utilized TEs. 5 more catches and he'll have the most of any TE at AU in the last 7 years.
By all means, get excited - but you played against air. Your practices were orders of magnitude more difficult than that game.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
By all means, get excited - but you played against air. Your practices were orders of magnitude more difficult than that game.
I think you're reading something I didn't say.

We'd have won with our erstwhile coach, but there's no way a Malzahn team would have looked quite that crisp. With Gus it always took 2 to 3 games to "figure out the offense."

Plus it was good just to see a proper route tree rather than passing plays with just one read.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.