2021 roster input/thoughts from those in the know....

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
Well, with this season a wash, anyone got any ideas how the roster will set up next year with seniors being allowed to come back?
I can honestly see a bunch of the mid majors getting a ton of players transferring out from some power conferences and doing very well next season.

Thoughts from anyone?

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

CK

Reactions: bama579

bamamick

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2005
I think we will be fine as we had few seniors, but I guess the question is will rosters expand and is the 11.7 still written in stone? If so then yeah, coaches are going to have to do some math to make all this work.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
From my understanding, the 11.7 is gone for this year but returns the year after. Take a team like Alabama, obviously on the rise and bringing in guys that would probably contribute more than some of the seniors. I could see where you tell those guys playing time may wane in comparison to a new player w more ability. (Also, just because the 11.7 is gone, let’s say Alabama has 7 guys taking up 5 total scholarships this year, CBB couldn’t run those guys off and then have 16.7 scholarships next year. It is 11.7 for freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors, plus what ever 5th year seniors you have that come back. I think, I am far from an expert).

4Q to answer you (or at least try to) many schools have already said they are not going to honor the scholarship for a returning player since it was basically promised to an incoming freshman or transfer. Being ultra cheap in my honest opinion. The NCAA, the awesome entity they are, basically said you can bring them back, but didn’t require schools to keep them on scholarship if they didn’t want to. They also gave them a free transfer with no sitting out a year. The MLB draft is also going to be shortened from what I have heard, keeping some draft eligible guys in school. So, with programs doing that, the NCAA decision, and MLB draft shortened, those players that choose to leave are possibly better than what a mid major may have, and their school may be willing to give some money out just to see if they can make a post season run. It very well may be a really interesting year, I hope it is!

• Thank You
Reactions: bama579

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think we will be fine as we had few seniors, but I guess the question is will rosters expand and is the 11.7 still written in stone? If so then yeah, coaches are going to have to do some math to make all this work.
Anyone know why they have that 11.7 rule. Seems to me it should be a minimum of 18 with 20 being full scholarships being ideal. This needs to change.

Padreruf

All-American
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Anyone know why they have that 11.7 rule. Seems to me it should be a minimum of 18 with 20 being full scholarships being ideal. This needs to change.
Smaller school coaches wanted better players -- and baseball is a net loss for most schools. Fewer scholarships means more good players trickle down to lesser schools (in theory) and the cost to a top school is lowered. The NCAA also lowered the total on a squad -- including walkons -- to 35 I believe. This transpired about 2000-2001.
You can also thank Title IX -- which I like in theory -- for reducing scholarships in men's non-profit sports. Golf is the same way...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Smaller school coaches wanted better players -- and baseball is a net loss for most schools. Fewer scholarships means more good players trickle down to lesser schools (in theory) and the cost to a top school is lowered. The NCAA also lowered the total on a squad -- including walkons -- to 35 I believe. This transpired about 2000-2001.
You can also thank Title IX -- which I like in theory -- for reducing scholarships in men's non-profit sports. Golf is the same way...
I am ok with the 35 limit but they should raise the scholarships to 18-20. Baseball has a higher cost than the other sports to master. Given the choice between football, basketball or baseball most parents are going to push their kids to the full ride.

Reactions: Padreruf

gymcoach

Scout Team
Dec 6, 2006
Hearing SEC schools at the moment are not going to be honoring this years seniors scholarships that choose to play next year. I think there will be a lot of smaller schools that pick up some fairly good ball players.

bamamick

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2005
Cameron will not return. So are seniors being told there is no financial aid available to them? Kinda sounds like it.

crimsonkelly

All-American
Feb 2, 2002
Thomasville, GA, USA
schools don’t have to offer financial aid to 5th year seniors this upcoming season. They can if they want to, but not required. I think CBB thinks his guys coming in will help more than than the ones returning.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - Get New Gear!

TideFans.Shop up to 60% off!!
OHT: Military appreciation collection with a charitable component!

TideFans.Shop - Get your Bama gear here!

Purchases made through our TideFans.shop link may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.