2022 MLB Season Thread

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok Braves fans, tell me about Sean Newcomb. The two things I know is that he is a former top prospect and he cannot seem to find the strike zone. Should I be remotely interested to see what he does for the Cubs or he is another Folty.
Has good stuff, but doesn’t quite have it between the ears. Unless you have a good pitching staff then expect Jekyll and Hyde results. Personally I think the Braves got the better end of the deal with Chavez.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the umpires would better control the pace of play, which is WELL WITHIN their rights to do, then this wouldn't even be considered. I've asked umpires on the youth, HS, AND college (FBS) levels if they have the right to monitor the pace of play, and the answer has been yes. That, IMO, is the biggest issue contributing to the dragging pace of MLB games over the years. The umpires basically do not address batters continuously stepping out of the batter's box, and pitchers taking waaaaay too much time between pitches. These two things alone the umpire has the right to regulate.

Pitch Clock_ESPN
well I hate to agree with Bauer but the MLB never has any uniformity in game matters. Take the Jansen situation for example. The game is effectively down to 3 outs and the umps check Jansen’s hands before taking the mound. Jansen has a slow windup and the Padres have a long route to the field from the visitor bullpen. Jansen was only allotted 3 warm up pitches because the ump wanted to be a strict pace of play enforcer. It’s not really fair for closers.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Has good stuff, but doesn’t quite have it between the ears. Unless you have a good pitching staff then expect Jekyll and Hyde results. Personally I think the Braves got the better end of the deal with Chavez.
Thank you.

IMO, Chavez is toast and was not needed for the Cubs this year. On paper it looks like Cubs are taking a flier and the Braves are hoping to squeeze the very last ounce of talent out of Chavez.

I still think it's a worth while gamble if for nothing else to see if Hottovy (Cubs PC) can fix him.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Thank you.

IMO, Chavez is toast and was not needed for the Cubs this year. On paper it looks like Cubs are taking a flier and the Braves are hoping to squeeze the very last ounce of talent out of Chavez.

I still think it's a worth while gamble if for nothing else to see if Hottovy (Cubs PC) can fix him.
The Braves like Chavez and he is a good clubhouse guy. We just needed a guy to save our bullpen during a runaway game. So we probably got a guy we wanted back.

Y’all might strike gold with Newcomb. Like I said he has good stuff but for whatever reason he just hasn’t worked for us. But our pitching staff has been known to be difficult to work with so it’s not for everyone. Maybe y’all have a few staffers that are better for Sean and could help him turn the corner.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
The Braves like Chavez and he is a good clubhouse guy. We just needed a guy to save our bullpen during a runaway game. So we probably got a guy we wanted back.

Y’all might strike gold with Newcomb. Like I said he has good stuff but for whatever reason he just hasn’t worked for us. But our pitching staff has been known to be difficult to work with so it’s not for everyone. Maybe y’all have a few staffers that are better for Sean and could help him turn the corner.
ATL, Cubs, LAA, Tor and TX are places that Jesse had multiple stints with, and the Braves it was three stints. Find it interesting, that's all.

Part of me really wants this to be Jake Arrieta 2 but he is probably more like to be Jacob Turner. Upside arms like Newcomb is better for the Cubs then twilight arms like Chavez.

But watch, it would not surprise me if Newcomb comes down with a "strain" shortly and the Cubs send him to AZ for a while, so they can work with him there before reaching Chicago.

Thank again for the head ups about Newcomb, if Hottovy can't get him to throw strikes, then nobody can.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
ATL, Cubs, LAA, Tor and TX are places that Jesse had multiple stints with, and the Braves it was three stints. Find it interesting, that's all.

Part of me really wants this to be Jake Arrieta 2 but he is probably more like to be Jacob Turner. Upside arms like Newcomb is better for the Cubs then twilight arms like Chavez.

But watch, it would not surprise me if Newcomb comes down with a "strain" shortly and the Cubs send him to AZ for a while, so they can work with him there before reaching Chicago.

Thank again for the head ups about Newcomb, if Hottovy can't get him to throw strikes, then nobody can.
It’s not really a walk problem it’s really a throwing too many cookies problem. He leaves his pitches in places they shouldn’t. When he is on he is unstoppable but when he is not he is throwing BP.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
well I hate to agree with Bauer but the MLB never has any uniformity in game matters. Take the Jansen situation for example. The game is effectively down to 3 outs and the umps check Jansen’s hands before taking the mound. Jansen has a slow windup and the Padres have a long route to the field from the visitor bullpen. Jansen was only allotted 3 warm up pitches because the ump wanted to be a strict pace of play enforcer. It’s not really fair for closers.
Can't argue with this but if youth/HS baseball can somewhat figure it out, then I would hope MLB can too. I've never understood why a pitcher warms up in the bullpen for 10-15 minutes then needs an additional 10 warmup pitches (or more) on top of "walking around the mound" time before throwing to the first batter.

Part of the purpose of the bullpen is to allow the pitcher that will be coming in next to go ahead and warm up so when he enters the game he's essentially ready to go. I'm good with a few warmup pitches (five or less) but good god, they're professional athletes who've been throwing in the bullpen for 10-15 minutes. It isn't very common that there is a situation in-game where the team is completely caught off guard to where someone can't be warming up in the bullpen.

Regarding the pitch clock, how will the rule work if the batter tries to manipulate the clock or does the clock not start until the pitcher is on the rubber and the batter is in the box?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Well Yankees fans really embarrassed themselves. They hit a girl with a beer bottle on the left side of the screen. Keep in mind this is after a YANKEES WALK OFF WIN.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Well Yankees fans really embarrassed themselves. They hit a girl with a beer bottle on the left side of the screen. Keep in mind this is after a YANKEES WALK OFF WIN.

I watched this game live and what needs to be done (which I'm sure has already been done), is the Yankees brass needs to go back over video footage, identify those who were throwing stuff and ban them from attending games for at least one calendar year.

On the same topic, when fans buy a ticket it doesn't come with the right to do or say anything they want.
The lockerroom interview with Cleveland's CF and the LF who ran into the wall appropriately says "We're human beings to, cheer for your team, "chirp" a bit but don't treat us like animals" (paraphrasing a bit).

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The problem isn't "the" baseball, but how players approach hitting. I can guarantee you if the ball was flying out of the ballpark and the league BA was still .232, no one would say a word. The art of hitting has gone to crap and rather than blaming that, "we" blame the ball.

Yeah, they changed the design of the ball because there were too many homeruns. Who the hell was complaining about that? MLB basically said "hey look. We made baseball more boring again." Newsflash, fans want to see homeruns. No one cares about balls hit long and high only to suddenly drop and get caught at the warning track.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Yeah, they changed the design of the ball because there were too many homeruns. Who the hell was complaining about that? MLB basically said "hey look. We made baseball more boring again." Newsflash, fans want to see homeruns. No one cares about balls hit long and high only to suddenly drop and get caught at the warning track.
Honestly I wish they would allow spider tack and juiced baseballs. That way noone can whine and we dont have to worry about umpires giving pitchers a massage of their hands.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
Baseball was already suffering from a "boring game" before the deadening of the ball. Basically, the homerun craze created a lot of poputs and strikeouts. Which means no one is on base for long periods of time. There's no way around it, the game of baseball has become imbalanced where there aren't many "line drive"/"small ball"/"base stealing" hitters anymore and the majority are homerun hitters or homerun hitter wannabe's. There's no variety. The game is more interesting to watch when you've got different types of hitters bringing something a little different to the table.

I loved players like Kenny Loftin, Brett Butler, Vince Colemen, Willie McGee, not to mention truly great "small ball" hitters like Wade Boggs, Rod Carew, Tony Gwynn, etc. These players brought a different element to the game that is no longer a part of the game and it's boring as hell. Everybody is just a different version of the same type of hitter nowadays.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Aug 15, 2004
This is why I think Gabe Kapler is spot on when it comes to breaking the unwritten rule of "holding runners up" and "stop trying to score" in games with "big leads".

Naylor also had a run-scoring double in the eighth and finished with eight RBIs for the Guardians, who stunned Chicago by rallying from an 8-2 deficit in the ninth aided by two White Sox errors.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - Bryce Young NIL Jersey

Your purchase through our TideFans.shop links helps support the site! Thanks!