2023 Braves trades and acquisitions

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I liked Contreras as a backup catcher. Braves now have 2 starting catchers and can't trade either without picking up a weaker backup.

Not a position of need by a long shot
There is a rumor out there that we might trade d'Arnaud before the trade deadline next year. I heard this driving home.

Reactions: B1GTide

BhamToTexas

All-SEC
Dec 25, 2020
Murphy is a very good catcher, offensively and defensively, so I don’t think it is really a downgrade.

Strange though, as we have more pressing needs.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm still ticked about this trade this morning because 1) Wild Bill was one of my favorite young players and 2) this move was completely unnecessary

Murphy IS the better Catcher defensively because he's an everyday starter and has won a Gold Glove but we didn't NEED an everyday catcher because we have Travis for that.

Wild Bill IS the better Hitter though and is almost an everyday bat between DH and Catcher and he's 3 years younger.

Murphy's Career numbers - .236 BA .759 OPS

Wild Bill - .260 BA .809 OPS

.50 Higher in On Base + Slugging is a pretty big difference at the plate

I just can't believe we did this....

The Brewers just pulled off a heist.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm still ticked about this trade this morning because 1) Wild Bill was one of my favorite young players and 2) this move was completely unnecessary

Murphy IS the better Catcher defensively because he's an everyday starter and has won a Gold Glove but we didn't NEED an everyday catcher because we have Travis for that.

Wild Bill IS the better Hitter though and is almost an everyday bat between DH and Catcher and he's 3 years younger.

Murphy's Career numbers - .236 BA .759 OPS

Wild Bill - .260 BA .809 OPS

.50 Higher in On Base + Slugging is a pretty big difference at the plate

I just can't believe we did this....

The Brewers just pulled off a heist.
Murphys numbers will be higher in Atlanta, but how much higher? And the Braves now need another DH.

Reactions: tusks_n_raider

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think the Braves are trying to play the long game and play to the deadline to get someone cheap. I think in a crazy way that it may work. However Turner to Philadelphia is a HUGE concern. I think if we were moving on from Swanson then we needed to make it incredibly hard for anyone in the East to secure Turner.

Murphy vs Contreas.... I dont know. Murphy gives us a much needed pickoff catcher and allows us to put Darnaud into the DH. But you have to question if this is an all in move because William was looking like a Brave great in the making.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
😑 on Swanson's deal.

Between Gomes at C, Nico/Swanson at 2b/ss and Bellinger in CF, that defense will be something else. As for offense...Cubs still have not figure that part out.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Bye Felicia!!!

I'm glad we never have to go through those ridiculously long ICE COLD streaks anymore.

He's just too much of an erratic bat in the lineup and especially at the top half of the order.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.