2023 Recruiting: 2023 Recruiting Targets

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Meaning Prentice, Bond, and Law. But don’t forget we also have the highest rated in Aaron Anderson as well as Shaz Preston lost to injury. If they stick around they’ll push for snaps as well. You also have to wonder what the staff will do with Henderson long term. Coach saban mentioned his potential several times even though he had switched from his natural running back position.
JoJo and Holden may have looked at the QB room and wondered who would be throwing passes? That thought hit me today out of the blue...

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
You may get some grief for saying that out loud, but that is a valid thought.
We do not have a "proven" passer...we do have a lot of really good candidates and I'm convinced we will come up with a good one. However, if I'm a junior and want to go pro after this next year...this could put me to thinking. It's a new world out there...

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
JoJo and Holden may have looked at the QB room and wondered who would be throwing passes? That thought hit me today out of the blue...
I agree with your thoughts. Maybe they also thought if we can’t catch passes with Bryce throwing, it might be time to move on as well.

Holden dropped key passes as did a lot of receivers but he was an older receiver and shouldn’t be doing that. Jojo just got behind after the injury but probably would have still saw some playing time. Lord knows Saban loved when people brought him up. Always talked about he had a little “Waddle” in him. Wish them both the best and even a return if they choose to.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
We do not have a "proven" passer...we do have a lot of really good candidates and I'm convinced we will come up with a good one. However, if I'm a junior and want to go pro after this next year...this could put me to thinking. It's a new world out there...
That will depend on the OC/QB coach.

Reactions: Tidelines

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
You have to think Brooks will be in the rotation. We are also bringing in four freshman that all can fly and I expect Benson (JUCO transfer) and Hale will compete for PT.
Oh yeah I was just naming freshman from this year. I think Brooks locks down a spot. Not sure how things shake out with Burton and Harrell. I think whoever wins the four starting positions next year will be ballers and better than this season.

Reactions: seebell

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I hate that neither Earle nor Holden developed. I don’t know why that didn’t happen — could be for any number of reasons ranging from being overrated in HS to poor coaching to poor scheme to poor effort on their parts.

Regardless, I do know that neither was reliable catching the ball. Both dropped innumerable passes, all thrown by a Heisman QB.

I’ve heard the thing about the best ability being availability. In this instance, I have to disagree….Rather, I have to think the best ability for a WR is the ability to reliably catch passes that hit you on the numbers.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I hate that neither Earle nor Holden developed. I don’t know why that didn’t happen — could be for any number of reasons ranging from being overrated in HS to poor coaching to poor scheme to poor effort on their parts.

Regardless, I do know that neither was reliable catching the ball. Both dropped innumerable passes, all thrown by a Heisman QB.

I’ve heard the thing about the best ability being availability. In this instance, I have to disagree….Rather, I have to think the best ability for a WR is the ability to reliably catch passes that hit you on the numbers.
Let's see how this season goes, but when none of your receivers can catch a cold for most of the season, it isn't the receivers.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Let's see how this season goes, but when none of your receivers can catch a cold for most of the season, it isn't the receivers.
These guys were highly rated and heavily recruited coming out of high school. Presumably they were reliable when it came to catching the football ( doesn`t one learn to do that early on? ). So.....how is it that relatively all of a sudden can`t reliably catch? Is it possible to " unlearn " how to catch? I don`t get it.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
These guys were highly rated and heavily recruited coming out of high school. Presumably they were reliable when it came to catching the football ( doesn`t one learn to do that early on? ). So.....how is it that relatively all of a sudden can`t reliably catch? Is it possible to " unlearn " how to catch? I don`t get it.
2021 was the Covid class. No camps, no visits were allowed and many kids did not play their senior season. 9 players so far from that class have left or are leaving in less than 2 years since they signed, including 3 receivers. But Earle came in with comparisons to Waddle, which was way off other than their comparable size and geography. Then injuries hit him.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
2021 was the Covid class. No camps, no visits were allowed and many kids did not play their senior season. 9 players so far from that class have left or are leaving in less than 2 years since they signed, including 3 receivers. But Earle came in with comparisons to Waddle, which was way off other than their comparable size and geography. Then injuries hit him.
I know coach Saban and most recruiting gurus made the Waddle comparison, but from day one, even before the major injuries, I personally never saw anything close to the speed or shiftiness Jalen Waddle displayed. You could see Waddle’s ability the second he took the field as a freshman despite being a part of one of the historically crowded receiver groups ever.

Reactions: AWRTR

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sorry to be the guy dragging folks here with a new post, I was just looking to see how this weekend went recruiting wise? Any input from our go to guys?
Full house, hopefully good things!!!
RTR!!!
Here you go. A few little nuggets. Russaw pretty much knows where he is going after this visit which I think is good and Smith is supossedly coming with him. Downs appears to be locked in and TE from Maryland looks good right now.

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
I know coach Saban and most recruiting gurus made the Waddle comparison, but from day one, even before the major injuries, I personally never saw anything close to the speed or shiftiness Jalen Waddle displayed.
Me either. Didn't see in his film. But film isn't always conclusive.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.