2023 RIP Thread

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I grew up in Chicago a Blackhawks fan...Keith Magnusson, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito...that era...
The Golden Jet was fun to watch, but he was not very likable...
Hull is a complicated figure in Chicago history. Yeah, he was a great player but he was equally reprehensible as a person. I cannot say "RIP" to him because as a person he does not deserve it (I know not to speak ill of the dead but Bobby is worth speak ill about) all I will say is to enjoy his eternal dirt nap.

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Such as the fact he beat at least two of his four wives - including one whom he gave 2 black eyes while he was in Zaire for the Foreman fight and also allegedly raped a 12-year old.

Look, I'm not picking on Ali here.

I grew up adoring Pete Rose, who turned out to actually believe the notion that since the age of consent in Ohio was 16, it's okay he was married and had sex with someone's 16-year old daughter.

I quit worshipping humans a long time ago, but I honestly think had Ali lived another 2-3 years, he might have been brought before the "me too" tribunal as so many were.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Such as the fact he beat at least two of his four wives - including one whom he gave 2 black eyes while he was in Zaire for the Foreman fight and also allegedly raped a 12-year old.

Look, I'm not picking on Ali here.

I grew up adoring Pete Rose, who turned out to actually believe the notion that since the age of consent in Ohio was 16, it's okay he was married and had sex with someone's 16-year old daughter.

I quit worshipping humans a long time ago, but I honestly think had Ali lived another 2-3 years, he might have been brought before the "me too" tribunal as so many were.
Wasn’t aware of that about Ali and Rose but I am not surprised.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Wasn’t aware of that about Ali and Rose but I am not surprised.
Well, I didn't know it until he died. I'd watched people revere the guy - and to be fair, he had been a cross-cultural icon with his whole Vietnam War objection, his religion, and a thoroughly likable guy as far as a number of people who idolized him said. It was only after he died that I saw the things I mentioned above for the first time and wondered, "How in the world was this not a bigger story?" But the hard shift in "bury that celebrity" journalism was with Watergate - and much of Ali's career preceded that time, too.

I hope nobody thinks I'm picking on Ali, but it was a stunning revelation to me. I knew Pete Rose gambled, I even knew he was slapped with a paternity suit in 1979 (I remember asking mom in my 9-year old innocence how Pete could be the father of some woman's baby when they weren't married - ah to a more innocent time!). Rose - kinda like Bill Cosby - has turned out be a bigger sleazeball than I ever imagined.

(And btw - for all the iconic love thrown at John Lennon, he beat numerous women, had numerous affairs, and even admitted about a year before he was murdered that he wanted to have sex with his mother, going so far as to say she probably would have allowed it - to say nothing of the hypocrisy of a man who died with an estate worth half a BILLION dollars singing "imagine no possessions").

In all honesty, the only difference now is that a $20/hour reporter can become an overnight millionaire by destroying the reputation of Tiger Woods or Cal Ripken or any of the so-called nice people...all they need is to be given the opportunity.

Back to the obituaries for 2023, but as I said - my charge has long been "don't worship other human beings."

PS - the Walter Payton revelations also stunned and disappointed me

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Well, I didn't know it until he died. I'd watched people revere the guy - and to be fair, he had been a cross-cultural icon with his whole Vietnam War objection, his religion, and a thoroughly likable guy as far as a number of people who idolized him said. It was only after he died that I saw the things I mentioned above for the first time and wondered, "How in the world was this not a bigger story?" But the hard shift in "bury that celebrity" journalism was with Watergate - and much of Ali's career preceded that time, too.

I hope nobody thinks I'm picking on Ali, but it was a stunning revelation to me. I knew Pete Rose gambled, I even knew he was slapped with a paternity suit in 1979 (I remember asking mom in my 9-year old innocence how Pete could be the father of some woman's baby when they weren't married - ah to a more innocent time!). Rose - kinda like Bill Cosby - has turned out be a bigger sleazeball than I ever imagined.

(And btw - for all the iconic love thrown at John Lennon, he beat numerous women, had numerous affairs, and even admitted about a year before he was murdered that he wanted to have sex with his mother, going so far as to say she probably would have allowed it - to say nothing of the hypocrisy of a man who died with an estate worth half a BILLION dollars singing "imagine no possessions").

In all honesty, the only difference now is that a $20/hour reporter can become an overnight millionaire by destroying the reputation of Tiger Woods or Cal Ripken or any of the so-called nice people...all they need is to be given the opportunity.

Back to the obituaries for 2023, but as I said - my charge has long been "don't worship other human beings."

PS - the Walter Payton revelations also stunned and disappointed me
Walter’s issues were known in Chicago if you wanted to hear them…he had a restaurant out in Aurora…The Roundhouse. He never would have survived the cell phone camera culture…

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Walter’s issues were known in Chicago if you wanted to hear them…he had a restaurant out in Aurora…The Roundhouse. He never would have survived the cell phone camera culture…
Yeah, the two that really got me were Walter and finding out Roy Campanella's career-ending accident was because he was driving crazy at that time of the morning while cheating on his wife. Oh, and finding out Christian theologian Ravi Zacharias was apparently sleeping with about 1/2 his female congregation, too. (I kind of have expectations there, you know).

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Payton surprised me but it probably shouldn’t. Anyone that popular is going to have women throwing themselves at them.

Interesting his girlfriend was a flight attendant. My wife went to high school with someone who married a member of a well known band. If I said his name most on here would recognize his name and the band is 100% recognition level. She met him while he was married to his first wife and she was a flight attendant.

Would love to have been able to read Payton’s mind when he saw the girlfriend on the second row.

I read once that Rose left tickets for both his wife and his girlfriend at Riverfront. Unfortunately for him, the seats were right next to each other.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Leaping Lanny Poffo. I never knew he was Randy Savage's brother.
Not knocking you but that hints to me your wrassling watching was far more passive than some of us idiots (most likely). Also - you're tad bit older than when he was huge - and they didn't say this back then.

But yeah - brothers and the sons of wrestler Angelo Poffo.

Lanny, if you watch some of the You Tube shoots, is one of the most engaging, articulate, and intelligent sounding WRESTLERS you'll ever hear. He's straightforward and honest, come hell or high water.

Or WAS.

I can't believe I'm saying that.

Reactions: Con and CB4

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not knocking you but that hints to me your wrassling watching was far more passive than some of us idiots (most likely). Also - you're tad bit older than when he was huge - and they didn't say this back then.

But yeah - brothers and the sons of wrestler Angelo Poffo.

Lanny, if you watch some of the You Tube shoots, is one of the most engaging, articulate, and intelligent sounding WRESTLERS you'll ever hear. He's straightforward and honest, come hell or high water.

Or WAS.

I can't believe I'm saying that.
See I remember Lanny’s dad was a wrestler but I never put together that he and Savage were brothers.
I watched wrestling up until the early 1980’s when WWE took over everything. Saturday night “taped” stuff from Channel 42 in Birmingham in the 1970’s with Sterling Brewer to Georgia Championship Wrestling on TBS with Gordon Solie.
You may remember this guy. He’s about ten years older than me but as kids we all knew him- “Action” Mike Jackson. He was from our area of western Jefferson County and wrestled locally in Birmingham and in the early 1980’s on GCW in Atlanta.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.