News Article: 3-star tight ends spurns Bama for...Mizzou

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tidesarollin

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2012
Well this is an odd situation. I know we graduate 3 tight ends this year and I get the idea of dipping back into Missouri (ala Hentges) but not sure this is the caliber of player we should be looking into.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Classic teaser-title article. What's the kid gonna say to the local press? Is his offer "committable?" Has he been able to visit T-town, if interested? More questions than answers.

And if he decides to stay home? Most Bama fans aren't going to fret over a 3 star tight-end staying home to play in their home state.

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Well this is an odd situation. I know we graduate 3 tight ends this year and I get the idea of dipping back into Missouri (ala Hentges) but not sure this is the caliber of player we should be looking into.
And just like that Hoerstkamp will look back a few years down the road, and wonder what could have been.
(Like eating at McDonald's, and wondering about eating a Steak and all the trimmings at a really great restaurant.)

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
Bama, like all schools, don't have room for everybody. He wants to stay home, get an education and play ball, great for him. Just because he had an offer from Bama (like hundreds of HS football players), it does not mean he "spurned" Bama.
Ahhhhh, yes.....but a sensationalized headline is very much the norm with today’s Media. Why tell the plain truth when you can streeeeeeeetch it into something that resembles the truth, yet implies so much more?

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
It’s almost like anytime a kid picks a school not named Alabama, we’re always mentioned even if the kid had little to no interest. Even the media is recruiting for other schools

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It’s almost like anytime a kid picks a school not named Alabama, we’re always mentioned even if the kid had little to no interest. Even the media is recruiting for other schools
Yep, the hats are on the table but the kid knows he can not pick up and put on our hat since he does not have a commitable offer from us.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If you're picking Missouri over Bama for football (assuming he actually 'had a choice'), you're probably not that interested in football or you realize your rating is fairly accurate and you're not interested in proving otherwise. #TruthHurts

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
If you're picking Missouri over Bama for football (assuming he actually 'had a choice'), you're probably not that interested in football or you realize your rating is fairly accurate and you're not interested in proving otherwise. #TruthHurts
Exception to this rule is if a guy is a local/state guy or a Mizzou legacy kid and wants to stay and play in front of friends / family. This looks like it might be the case here. Otherwise, I'll stick with my assessment.

Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Curious what you mean by the bold statement. We shouldn't target 3*?

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
This prompted me to do a Google search of Bama 3 star players. We have a list of some pretty impressive 3 star players in the Nick Saban era.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This prompted me to do a Google search of Bama 3 star players. We have a list of some pretty impressive 3 star players in the Nick Saban era.
Yep. Here's the list I found (from 247)

Josh Chapman
Kareem Jackson
Marquis Maze
Terrance Cody
Robert Lester
Anthony Steen
Chance Warmack
Vinnie Sunseri
Christion Jones
Bradley Bozeman
Eddie Jackson
Josh Jacobs
Irv Smith
Mac Jones

Reactions: BamaMoon

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pretty sure Mac Jones was a 4 star according to the cumulative ratings, but we've had some good players come thru that weren't highly rated.

When we offer a 3 star, it's usually because CNS sees something most others don't.

As for this kid, let's wait and see. It's possible he just got offered and hasn't had time or opportunity to even visit Bama and consider the upside. Again, we don't know if it's a "committable" offer or if CNS has found a diamond in the rough.

Again, I say, this a click-bait type local article that's trying to make news instead of report the news.

Reactions: UAllday

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Pretty sure Mac Jones was a 4 star according to the cumulative ratings, but we've had some good players come thru that weren't highly rated.

When we offer a 3 star, it's usually because CNS sees something most others don't.

As for this kid, let's wait and see. It's possible he just got offered and hasn't had time or opportunity to even visit Bama and consider the upside. Again, we don't know if it's a "committable" offer or if CNS has found a diamond in the rough.

Again, I say, this a click-bait type local article that's trying to make news instead of report the news.
Star ratings vary depending on the recruiting service. Mac was a 4* per some services and so were some of the other players on Tidefanbeezer's list but we have had some very good 3* players. However, 3*'s make up 10-15% of our typical classes with the rest being 4*/5*. I think it was the 2019 class where the only 3* we signed was Will Reichard and he was the #1 FG kicker in the nation.

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.