2021 Prospect: 4* QB Drake Maye Commits to North Carolina

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I guess this is why I don't follow recruiting closely. I dont put much stock into a young man that is maybe...17 yrs old? Who doesn't have a clue what the word 'commitment actually means. When I was 17....and made a commitment and didn't really relish the whole experience? It became someone else's fault. Most kids don't understand what that word is for. But Good luck to Mr Maye. Who knows? He just Maye...be back:LOL:

• Full Banjeaux!
Reactions: CrimsonRuss

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
A 2* could decomit and it would be a ESPN News Special Report. The media loves to push the narrative that Saban is somehow losing control of it all.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I, for one, hate to hear this. No matter how good/great Young may end up being, it's always good to have another great QB waiting in the wings (and we know this from recent experience.

I won't be one to say "he doesn't want to compete." I hate it but I get the point that he may see a better path to the league (which is most players' goals) thru possibly getting to play faster/more at UNC.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I, for one, hate to hear this. No matter how good/great Young may end up being, it's always good to have another great QB waiting in the wings (and we know this from recent experience.

I won't be one to say "he doesn't want to compete." I hate it but I get the point that he may see a better path to the league (which is most players' goals) thru possibly getting to play faster/more at UNC.
Sorry, but do you think he decommits if Young wasn't at Alabama?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Sorry, but do you think he decommits if Young wasn't at Alabama?
Probably not. But I don't think it's fair to automatically assume he doesn't want to compete. If Maye is smart he sees what alot of us sees. BY "may" be another generational type player and if he ever gets the starting position (this year or next) he may never miss another game at Bama as starter if he has good injury luck. So it's not that Maye doesn't believe in his abilities (if I'm trying to judge motives) he's probably just being realistic to know he could sit behind Young his whole career. On top of that, he can probably be a "star" at his home state U. I wish him well, regardless (unless we were to play UNC at some point).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If I'm being a selfish Bama fan, I wish he would stay with Bama simply because it would be nice to have two great QBs (assuming BY starts and we need a quality backup at some point in the next few years). But, it's pretty selfish of me to expect Maye to fulfill me selfish wishes, especially if he could play alot more at UNC.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I understand why he feels he has a better chance to win the starting QB job somewhere else, now that Bryce Young is coming. He looks at the situation and thinks he is unlikely to beat out BY. Doesn't want to compete? ... call it what you will...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I'm coming in late here....the fact that Maye's brother is a recent UNC basketball star and that Mack Brown is an incredible recruiter, I knew we wouldn't hold onto him. It's tough to resist the call of familiarity sometimes.

Reactions: Con

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He absolutely would have. I doubt Young being here had anything to do with his decision, which quite frankly, was likely made some time ago.
No disrespect, but if you don't know him personally, you can't say what he "absolutely" would have done. I get the whole "staying home" thing, but I will forever believe that he changed his mind because of BY.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
No disrespect, but if you don't know him personally, you can't say what he "absolutely" would have done. I get the whole "staying home" thing, but I will forever believe that he changed his mind because of BY.
With all of his “connections to” and “familiarity with” UNC...the draw to come to Bama was still initially stronger...though probably just slightly over tipping point. The presence of BY, now at Bama, more than likely gave DM pause, and when he reassessed the variables involved, the tipping point took a slight swing to UNC.
So...his change of mind probably does have to do with BY...but only to the degree that his presence at UA allowed the leverage of DM’s “heart-strings” to win out in the second round of decision making.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.