2020 Prospect: ***** 5* QB Bryce Young Commits to Bama *****

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm pretty psyched about Young. I know it's easy to get all goo-goo about a HS QB, but this is so different than just a few years ago when true freshmen QB signed and you didn't hear about them for another couple of years.

EVERYTHING changed when CNS played Jalen and Tua as true freshmen. EVERYTHING. Now these hotshot QBs see Bama as a pathway to play immediately and a place to stardom.

When's the last time we could say that about being a QB at Bama??? The 1960's?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm pretty psyched about Young. I know it's easy to get all goo-goo about a HS QB, but this is so different than just a few years ago when true freshmen QB signed and you didn't hear about them for another couple of years.

EVERYTHING changed when CNS played Jalen and Tua as true freshmen. EVERYTHING. Now these hotshot QBs see Bama as a pathway to play immediately and a place to stardom.

N/M

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Well, in the 60`s, you had freshmen teams. Freshmen were not eligible and I don`t recall when they first became so. While Alabama had some great QB`s back then ( Namath, Stabler, etc. ), we didn`t have anyone like Tua and maybe like BY. I hope.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Well, in the 60`s, you had freshmen teams. Freshmen were not eligible and I don`t recall when they first became so. While Alabama had some great QB`s back then ( Namath, Stabler, etc. ), we didn`t have anyone like Tua and maybe like BY. I hope.
Right, but I was referring to how long it's been since we were seen as a QB destination for aspiring NFL QBs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Right, but I was referring to how long it's been since we were seen as a QB destination for aspiring NFL QBs.
We have been recruiting very good QB's during the Saban era. Tua and Blake Barnett both won the Elite 11 and Sims, AJ, Bateman and Cornwell were all Elite 11 participants. Most did not work out but they were considered very good QB's when we signed them. Jalen was the first true freshman to start but we have been bringing in top HS QB's since Saban arrived.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The construction will not be complete until your home opener. Not sure how many seats will be unavailable.
Construction started Monday.

Rode my bike around the site yesterday. Interestingly, on the Walk of Champions, they've removed the 3-5 memorial stones nearest the North Zone.

Don't know if there are plans to re-do that part of the WoC, or if it's just precautionary to ensure they don't get damaged in the demo / construction process.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Rode my bike around the site yesterday. Interestingly, on the Walk of Champions, they've removed the 3-5 memorial stones nearest the North Zone.

Don't know if there are plans to re-do that part of the WoC, or if it's just precautionary to ensure they don't get damaged in the demo / construction process.
Probably just so they don't get ruined as they build the tunnel through the steps into the Locker Room. They ended right at the base of the steps, so the heavy equipment would probably have ruined them.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

The walk will be shortened, so the stones are going to be re-configured to all fit in...see al.com articles on this project.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I read that they have to redo it due to the new entrance to the locker room. They're moving a few and planning for the future. RTR!!! Boog eatin' week!!!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We have been recruiting very good QB's during the Saban era. Tua and Blake Barnett both won the Elite 11 and Sims, AJ, Bateman and Cornwell were all Elite 11 participants. Most did not work out but they were considered very good QB's when we signed them. Jalen was the first true freshman to start but we have been bringing in top HS QB's since Saban arrived.
All that is true, but other than AJ, who is only a backup, where are the results?

My point is I think that is starting to change with CNS's offensive shift in philosophy.
I hope that Tua will be the first a several Bama QB's to have a significant impact on the NFL.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All that is true, but other than AJ, who is only a backup, where are the results?

My point is I think that is starting to change with CNS's offensive shift in philosophy.
I hope that Tua will be the first a several Bama QB's to have a significant impact on the NFL.
In the trophy room?

Great college players do not all become great NFL players. I have never valued college players based on their NFL careers.

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
In the trophy room?

Great college players do not all become great NFL players. I have never valued college players based on their NFL careers.
Same here. What’s important to me is what they do in college and how they helped Bama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Man, y'all are a hard crowd.

I think y'all know I love everyone of our QBs under CNS, but is there anything wrong with kinda being excited we might start putting some guys in the league with this new breed of QBs we seem to be attracting? That's all I'm talking about.

But, just so we are clear, I want our QBs to succeed first and foremost at Bama but it would be kinda nice to see a few of them go on to a great NFL career too. I think we've put an impact player in the league at just about every position except QB and PK so I hope that changes soon.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Same here. What’s important to me is what they do in college and how they helped Bama.
I guess CNS doesn't agree with you since he's got that wall in the MMAC of all the guys who have played at Bama but have gone on into the NFL.

Every guy that goes into the league is another recruiting nugget for Nick.

As for me, I watch much more NFL now that we have alot more guys in the league now.

Jkl0802

1st Team
Apr 9, 2015
Stuttgart, Germany
You guys are in violent agreement with each other! QBs who do well in the NFL and at Alabama are especially good for recruiting which means continued success. Tua and Young are generational players, Hurts was better than anyone thought he would be due to athleticism and playing with Alabama like players on Offense and Defense...AJ was a great leader; but you see what he has done in the NFL. The rest of our QBs were serviceable primarily due to the players Alabama had around them. Think about Cam Newton at Alabama, Mathew Stafford at Bama??? I agree with BamaMoon on this point. Last point, without Tua we would not have our latest National Championship trophy. Bottom Line: we want the best players in College to become the best players in the NFL. RTR...Beat Auburn!

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Man, y'all are a hard crowd.
Your previous post made it sound like a player who doesn't have success in the NFL was not a great football player. That is where we disagree. Alabama has had some great players who did not work out in the NFL for a long list of reasons, but they were exactly what Alabama needed to win championships at Alabama, and they were great players.

I want to recruit and land the players that my teams require to win championships. Period. For their sake I hope that they have financial success later in life, wherever that may be. But I do not equate greatness with NFL success.

AJ was a GREAT QB - one of the best to ever play college football. That didn't change because he didn't become a great NFL QB.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.