2020 Prospect: ***** 5* QB Bryce Young Commits to Bama *****

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know Bryce is the next guy right now but what do you all know about the 2021 guy Maye? How good is he supposed to be?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I know Bryce is the next guy right now but what do you all know about the 2021 guy Maye? How good is he supposed to be?
He is a different type of QB. First, he is HUGE. But he also lacks mobility. He has a gun for an arm and can already make all of the throws.

Based on his film, I have two concerns - he doesn't move around inside the pocket well, he may get even slower as he continues to grow.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
He is a different type of QB. First, he is HUGE. But he also lacks mobility. He has a gun for an arm and can already make all of the throws.

Based on his film, I have two concerns - he doesn't move around inside the pocket well, he may get even slower as he continues to grow.
Ben Rothlisberger type???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I haven't watched his recruiting film, but I wouldn't be concerned with "slowness" as much as I would be with poor "footwork." If he is slow AND has bad footwork that could be an issue.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I haven't watched his recruiting film, but I wouldn't be concerned with "slowness" as much as I would be with poor "footwork." If he is slow AND has bad footwork that could be an issue.
Here is Maye's junior year highlight video through the first 9 games. He looks fundamentally sound but you don't get to see him run or scramble (at least in the portion I watched). One thing that stood out to me was he had 35 TD's and 0 int.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: CoolBreeze

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here is Maye's junior year highlight video through the first 9 games. He looks fundamentally sound but you don't get to see him run or scramble (at least in the portion I watched). One thing that stood out to me was he had 35 TD's and 0 int.

Thanks...watched up over the 5:00 minute mark. My "non-professional" assessment:

1. He's a much different type of player than Jalen/Tua/Young. Maye is more after the style of Mac Jones, AJM or even a Joe Burrow, to borrow a hot name right now. He's primarily a drop-back passer. Having noted that...
2. His footwork for a Jr. in HS is very good. He feels pressure and slides and steps up in the pocket very naturally. When he rolls out he looks comfortable going both ways. He looks pretty good at avoiding pressure of the rush (with his footwork) and keeps his eyes downfield. And, while I didn't see him break and scramble, based on his roll outs he doesn't have lead feet and moves naturally and athletically.
3. His mechanics are very good IMO. Mentioned his footwork, but he uses his body (hips) well in the throwing motion to generate arm speed (similar to the golf swing). Arm strength looks good. Good release.
4. He's deadly with the back-shoulder throw and his accuracy looks very good (knowing this is a highlight film).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, first film I saw of his junior season and he moves much better in the pocket. Glad to see the improvement.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks...watched up over the 5:00 minute mark. My "non-professional" assessment:

1. He's a much different type of player than Jalen/Tua/Young. Maye is more after the style of Mac Jones, AJM or even a Joe Burrow, to borrow a hot name right now. He's primarily a drop-back passer. Having noted that...
2. His footwork for a Jr. in HS is very good. He feels pressure and slides and steps up in the pocket very naturally. When he rolls out he looks comfortable going both ways. He looks pretty good at avoiding pressure of the rush (with his footwork) and keeps his eyes downfield. And, while I didn't see him break and scramble, based on his roll outs he doesn't have lead feet and moves naturally and athletically.
3. His mechanics are very good IMO. Mentioned his footwork, but he uses his body (hips) well in the throwing motion to generate arm speed (similar to the golf swing). Arm strength looks good. Good release.
4. He's deadly with the back-shoulder throw and his accuracy looks very good (knowing this is a highlight film).
Thanks...his brother was a good athlete and hard nosed player, but not an "elite" athlete. Really good nose for the ball and a scorer more than a shooter. A winner no doubt...
If Drake Maye brings that then he will be what we need...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.