50 years Ago today the Voyages of Star Trek Began.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sept 8 1966, Star Trek began
Space, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its 5-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

Live long and prosper

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Loved watching reruns as a kid back in the 70's. Explains why I've read a lot of science fiction and why I have two kids who can do the Spock eyebrow thingy with either eyebrow. :)

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
...shortly after, this very short kid in FL began his lifelong quest into nerdhood. That was appointment viewing back in the day for me
It's probably a good thing that the "science" portion of my brain never kicked in or I'd be really scary, since I'm pretty nerdy as is. :biggrin2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Along with M*A*S*H, probably the best TV show ever on so many levels....

I consider myself very fortunate to be born as a baby boomer to enjoy this incredibly creative era.....

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I'm waiting for a tricorder.:cool:
I bought this gadget on eBay quite a while back - maybe 10 or so years ago. It made all the sound effects from Star Trek from the sound the doors make when they open and shut to the tri-corder - to the communicator....everything.

Eventually of course I wore it out and some of the functions ceased to operate.

I keep looking for another one but haven't found one. That thing was so awesome....

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I bought this gadget on eBay quite a while back - maybe 10 or so years ago. It made all the sound effects from Star Trek from the sound the doors make when they open and shut to the tri-corder - to the communicator....everything.

Eventually of course I wore it out and some of the functions ceased to operate.

I keep looking for another one but haven't found one. That thing was so awesome....
Back when I had more time for such things, I used to set my computer's sound events to play non-standard sounds. For instance, my notification when a new email arrived was the sound from the Holy Grail scene where an arrow comes in, sticks in the squire's chest and he says, "Message for you, sir". Start up was HAL 9000 saying, "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly." At one point, I changed it to, ""The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error." Shut down was HAL 9000, saying "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid."

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Back when I had more time for such things, I used to set my computer's sound events to play non-standard sounds. For instance, my notification when a new email arrived was the sound from the Holy Grail scene where an arrow comes in, sticks in the squire's chest and he says, "Message for you, sir". Start up was HAL 9000 saying, "I'm completely operational, and all my circuits are functioning perfectly." At one point, I changed it to, ""The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made. No 9000 computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error." Shut down was HAL 9000, saying "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid."

LOL.....that's funny Cat..... :)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I did the same. Windows would puke a lot and HAL would come on and say "I have just picked up a fault", email notification would be the Star Trek hailing sound.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.