News Article: 75 Years ago today - Hiroshima

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you read Unbroken you know that the Japanese were horrific in their treatment of POW's. Germany was actually benevolent compared to them. My father and father in law, both WWII veterans, would not but a Japanese car...never.
I think you left out "buy a German car." I know what you mean exactly. My two older brothers, WWII vets felt the same way. The Japanese (I was a teenager before I knew there was more than just "Jap") basically regarded all other "races" as subhuman and a handy source of slave labor...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
OTOH, I knew a man, who was actually my brother's BIL for a good many years, and who spent the war in a Japanese prison camp, from the Philippines on. He had a different perspective. Paraphrasing, his attitude was "as many as it took." He regarded them as a nation of irredeemable fanatics. He said it was not confined to the army or the officer class. After hearing his experiences, I understood...
Michael Pearlman's pamphlet Surrender, Demobilization, and the Atomic Bomb is quite good.
"Thirteen percent of the [public opinion poll] respondents wanted to 'kill all Japanese'; another 33 percent wanted to destroy the Japanese state." (p. 16)
American people were "a bit cross," as my Brit colleagues might say.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I was reading in National Geographic a couple of months ago about a kid, Kawamoto, who survived the Hiroshima blast but was orphaned. A man that owned a soy sauce business in a different town took Kawamoto in and promised him a house of his own if he worked for free for twelve years. Kawamoto was eleven at the time of the blast. He worked six days a week from 2:00 AM until 4:00 PM. When Kawamoto was twenty-one, he met a girl, Motosura (I'm making that name up because I can't remember her name). They fell in love. When Kawamoto turned twenty-three he had finished his twelve years. The gentleman who had taken him in was good for his word and bought Kawamoto a house. Kawamoto went to Motosura's father to ask permission to marry. The father denied permission because Kawamoto was from Hiroshima, and he feared the children of the union would be deformed. Depressed, Kawamoto quit his job, walked away from his house, and joined the Yakusa. Kawamoto never saw Motosura again. Years later he found peace by returning to Hiroshima. Now, in his late eighties, Kawamoto works at the Peace Museum in Hiroshima handing out Origami birds and planes.

I another story, a lady tells of her mother who survived the blast and living to an old age. When the mother died, she was cremated. In her ashes were pieces of broken glass.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If you read Unbroken you know that the Japanese were horrific in their treatment of POW's. Germany was actually benevolent compared to them. My father and father in law, both WWII veterans, would not but a Japanese car...never.
Unbroken is a phenomenal book - Zamperini's forgiveness is simply astonishing.

That said, 23% of Americans polled after the end of WWII wanted the US to continue bombing all of the Japanese cities with atomic bombs. The hatred was there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.