78 Years ago today

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As it was 78 years ago, it is a cold foggy morning in Belgium. -2 degrees C outside.

The Attack in the Losheim Gap

The shock companies of the 18th Volksgrenadier Division began to move toward the American cavalry positions about 0400 on 16 December. [start of page 145] An hour later the main strength of the two attacking regiments followed, the German 294th Infantry Regiment advancing toward Weckerath and the Our valley, the 294th heading for Roth and Kobscheid. Supporting artillery, mortars, and Werfers opened fire over the heads of the German infantry shortly after 0830. (Actually the first concentrations to arouse the Americans were fired as part of the Sixth Panzer Army artillery preparation prior to H-hour and landed in the northern part of the 14th Cavalry zone). Roth and Kobscheid, closest to the enemy jump-off positions, received only one battery salvo; apparently the German infantry were already around the villages. When day broke, cloudy and drizzling, the assault force moving between Weckerath and Roth was well on its way to the commanding crossroads village of Auw. Visibility was so poor, the American village positions so dispersed, that the cavalrymen for some time did not detect nor engage the infantry moving past. (The Germans, having received no fire, first suspected that the main American line had been moved back to the Our River.) Furthermore, predawn attacks on Roth and Kobscheid had occupied the attention of the troopers. At Roth a company of grenadiers was checked by shellfire. The attackers at Kobscheid actually got inside the cavalry defense, but nearly forty were captured.

Before dawn none of the village garrisons in the southern sector had been seriously menaced. The effects of the enemy penetrations, however, became apparent soon after daylight. At 0830 a message from Roth reported that the Germans were inside the village, that a tank seventy-five yards from the command post was "belting us with direct fire." Light tanks, dispatched from Manderfeld, hurried to give aid but were stopped cold by fire from Auw, some 3,500 yards to the west, which was occupied by the Germans. Nothing more was heard from Roth. The remainder of Troop A, in Kobscheid, also was cut off; by 0900 the attackers had established a hold inside the village. Weckerath, which lay to one side of the German advance on Auw, was hit by elements of the 294th. Here the 3d Platoon of Troop C was located east of the village in a small patch of woods on the road to Krewinkel, well dug in and protected by barbed wire on all sides. The first German assault was checked by mortars and machine guns, reinforced by accurate artillery fire. Two enemy companies, however, swept around the wood and converged on the village, where some twenty men of Troop C headquarters held them at bay with bullet fire. A platoon of American light tanks arrived from Manderfeld shortly after 0930, appearing just in time to engage groups of enemy infantry infiltrating the eastern edge of the village. At 1100 observers at Weckerath saw an enemy column moving from Roth in the direction of Auw. They counted fifteen "tanks"-probably a battalion of assault guns-and at least one battalion of foot troops, marching intermixed with the assault guns. Artillery fire was directed onto the column, with but little effect. The Germans pressed on to the west. In the northern sector of the 14th Cavalry Group fortune had treated the defenders with mixed favor during the morning. The German force committed here consisted of a reinforced regiment of the 3d Parachute Division (it will be [146] recalled that the boundary between the Fifth and Sixth Panzer Armies ran just south of Krewinkel and Manderfeld) attacking initially without the support of heavy weapons. The 3d Parachute Division axis cut straight through the northern cavalry sector, then angled northwest in the direction of Faymonville, the division advancing as the left flank of the I SS Panzer Corps. At Krewinkel, the most advanced American post in the area, the 2d Platoon of Troop C and a reconnaissance platoon of Company A, 820th Tank Destroyer Battalion, occupied a position from which excellent observation and fields of fire covered all approaches to the village from the east. An hour before dawn a German shock company boldly approached the village in column of fours. The troopers held their fire until the enemy infantry were within twenty yards of the outer strands of wire-then cut loose. The column disintegrated, but the assault was quickly resumed in more open order and shortly the Germans were in the village streets. At one point half the village was in German hands, but eventually the defenders got the upper hand and the enemy withdrew.

One of the last to leave shouted in English, "Take a ten minute break. We'll be back." An exasperated trooper hastened to assure him profanely, "we'll still be here."

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
As it was 78 years ago, it is a cold foggy morning in Belgium. -2 degrees C outside.

The Attack in the Losheim Gap

The shock companies of the 18th Volksgrenadier Division began to move toward the American cavalry positions about 0400 on 16 December. [start of page 145] An hour later the main strength of the two attacking regiments followed, the German 294th Infantry Regiment advancing toward Weckerath and the Our valley, the 294th heading for Roth and Kobscheid. Supporting artillery, mortars, and Werfers opened fire over the heads of the German infantry shortly after 0830. (Actually the first concentrations to arouse the Americans were fired as part of the Sixth Panzer Army artillery preparation prior to H-hour and landed in the northern part of the 14th Cavalry zone). Roth and Kobscheid, closest to the enemy jump-off positions, received only one battery salvo; apparently the German infantry were already around the villages. When day broke, cloudy and drizzling, the assault force moving between Weckerath and Roth was well on its way to the commanding crossroads village of Auw. Visibility was so poor, the American village positions so dispersed, that the cavalrymen for some time did not detect nor engage the infantry moving past. (The Germans, having received no fire, first suspected that the main American line had been moved back to the Our River.) Furthermore, predawn attacks on Roth and Kobscheid had occupied the attention of the troopers. At Roth a company of grenadiers was checked by shellfire. The attackers at Kobscheid actually got inside the cavalry defense, but nearly forty were captured.

Before dawn none of the village garrisons in the southern sector had been seriously menaced. The effects of the enemy penetrations, however, became apparent soon after daylight. At 0830 a message from Roth reported that the Germans were inside the village, that a tank seventy-five yards from the command post was "belting us with direct fire." Light tanks, dispatched from Manderfeld, hurried to give aid but were stopped cold by fire from Auw, some 3,500 yards to the west, which was occupied by the Germans. Nothing more was heard from Roth. The remainder of Troop A, in Kobscheid, also was cut off; by 0900 the attackers had established a hold inside the village. Weckerath, which lay to one side of the German advance on Auw, was hit by elements of the 294th. Here the 3d Platoon of Troop C was located east of the village in a small patch of woods on the road to Krewinkel, well dug in and protected by barbed wire on all sides. The first German assault was checked by mortars and machine guns, reinforced by accurate artillery fire. Two enemy companies, however, swept around the wood and converged on the village, where some twenty men of Troop C headquarters held them at bay with bullet fire. A platoon of American light tanks arrived from Manderfeld shortly after 0930, appearing just in time to engage groups of enemy infantry infiltrating the eastern edge of the village. At 1100 observers at Weckerath saw an enemy column moving from Roth in the direction of Auw. They counted fifteen "tanks"-probably a battalion of assault guns-and at least one battalion of foot troops, marching intermixed with the assault guns. Artillery fire was directed onto the column, with but little effect. The Germans pressed on to the west. In the northern sector of the 14th Cavalry Group fortune had treated the defenders with mixed favor during the morning. The German force committed here consisted of a reinforced regiment of the 3d Parachute Division (it will be [146] recalled that the boundary between the Fifth and Sixth Panzer Armies ran just south of Krewinkel and Manderfeld) attacking initially without the support of heavy weapons. The 3d Parachute Division axis cut straight through the northern cavalry sector, then angled northwest in the direction of Faymonville, the division advancing as the left flank of the I SS Panzer Corps. At Krewinkel, the most advanced American post in the area, the 2d Platoon of Troop C and a reconnaissance platoon of Company A, 820th Tank Destroyer Battalion, occupied a position from which excellent observation and fields of fire covered all approaches to the village from the east. An hour before dawn a German shock company boldly approached the village in column of fours. The troopers held their fire until the enemy infantry were within twenty yards of the outer strands of wire-then cut loose. The column disintegrated, but the assault was quickly resumed in more open order and shortly the Germans were in the village streets. At one point half the village was in German hands, but eventually the defenders got the upper hand and the enemy withdrew.

One of the last to leave shouted in English, "Take a ten minute break. We'll be back." An exasperated trooper hastened to assure him profanely, "we'll still be here."
I have been following 4th Armored Div. reports daily for much of this year. Your post caused me to look at XII Corps report for this period and found a report of the first meeting between Patton and Bradley and the planned meeting with Patton, Bradley and Eisenhower the 19th.

Patton Report December 18, 1944.JPG

• Heart
Reactions: Go Bama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I have been following 4th Armored Div. reports daily for much of this year. Your post caused me to look at XII Corps report for this period and found a report of the first meeting between Patton and Bradley and the planned meeting with Patton, Bradley and Eisenhower the 19th.

View attachment 30788
Last summer, I went to Arracourt, France, scene of the 4th AD's tank battles in September 1944. No museum or even battlefield markers, but the battlefield has not changed much and can still be followed on the ground.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Go Bama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The sector described in the action above was so thinly held that the Cav troops (companies) were 3 miles apart and covered the intervening space by patrols. Every few hours, the troop to the north would send a patrol south and then a few hours later, the troop to the south would send a patrol north. Infiltrating between the outposts was probably not too difficult.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Normandy is on my bucket list. I want to walk the beach and see the cliffs with my own eyes. Both my grandfathers fought in the Pacific and it amazes me the courage and bravery of those young men in the face of death and true evil (Hitler).

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Normandy is on my bucket list. I want to walk the beach and see the cliffs with my own eyes. Both my grandfathers fought in the Pacific and it amazes me the courage and bravery of those young men in the face of death and true evil (Hitler).
Normandy is well worth the visit. Beautiful countryside, very nice people. Over the last six months I have taken both the wife and my brother on separate trips. Normandy is one of my favorite parts of France.
The American cemetery at Omaha is very moving. Pointe du Hoc, Ste Mere Eglise, La Fière causeway, Utah, Carentan, even the La Cambe German cemetery, all worth a visit. With my brother, we also went to Sword, Juneau, and Gold, and Pegasus Bridge.
With the wife we went to St. Lo, Vimoutier (to see the Tiger 1 tank left there), Lisieux, Rouen. Rouen is a really cool city on the Seine.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Normandy is well worth the visit. Beautiful countryside, very nice people. Over the last six months I have taken both the wife and my brother on separate trips. Normandy is one of my favorite parts of France.
The American cemetery at Omaha is very moving. Pointe du Hoc, Ste Mere Eglise, La Fière causeway, Utah, Carentan, even the La Cambe German cemetery, all worth a visit. With my brother, we also went to Sword, Juneau, and Gold, and Pegasus Bridge.
With the wife we went to St. Lo, Vimoutier (to see the Tiger 1 tank left there), Lisieux, Rouen. Rouen is a really cool city on the Seine.
My son and his wife flew to Paris last week and took a day trip to Normandy visiting the American Cemetery, Point du Hoc and other locations around Normandy.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My son and his wife flew to Paris last week and took a day trip to Normandy visiting the American Cemetery, Point du Hoc and other locations around Normandy.
Good for you.
A lot of foreigners judge the French from the behavior of Parisians. Parisians are just big city people, like New Yorkers: brusque and jaundiced. Frenchmen from the countryside I find are much nicer.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Today is "Nuts!" Weekend in Bastogne. Locals will wear US Army WW II uniforms and drive around US WW II vehicles.
Sadly, I am grading stuff, or I would go.
The Ardennes are my favorite part of Belgium. It is hilly, but not mountainous. Alternating fields and forest. Some of the towns are gorgeous, magical even. Roche-en-Ardennes is picturesque. It has a good museum on the Ardennes offensive of 1944. Vianden, Luxembourg is maybe the quaintest, most beautiful small town I have even visited. Stunningly beautiful.
Grandmenil has a good WW II museum and a Panther tank that belonged to the 2nd SS Panzer Division. The Americans of the 75th Infantry Division gave the 2nd SS Panzer a country boy butt-whoopin' in Grandmenil. The 2nd SS Panzer lost almost 30 tanks in Grandmenil.
Grandmenil_tank_field.jpeg
One of them is still there.
Panther today.jpeg

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Last summer, I went to Arracourt, France, scene of the 4th AD's tank battles in September 1944. No museum or even battlefield markers, but the battlefield has not changed much and can still be followed on the ground.
I have been reading the 4th Armored Div. daily post through the summer and fall. It is difficult to follow in such a granular detail but it is clear that the Germans continued to be a potent force even after the forts were cleared around Metz. When small units of the 4th made probes north and east they took frequent casualties from German infantry, armor and artillery and were stalled until they could bring their combined force of infantry, artillery and armor to bear. The P-47's daily presence flying off French airfields had a tremendous impact on German movement and resupply efforts.

In the fall there was also a great deal of downtime for units of the 4th for refurbishing equipment, R&R and integrating replacements into the ranks. This of course proved to be a blessing as the most difficult challenges lay unseen just ahead.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
There are thousands of great pictures on Trip Advisor. It does look like a fairy tale setting.

View attachment 30814
The hills on the left side of that photo are in Germany. Vianden is a small Luxemburgisch enclave on the German side of the Our River. Vianden is clean, quaint, and beautiful, with a castle (on the right of your photo) looming over the town.
They all speak French, and German and Luxemburgisch (which has a "e" with an umlaut, "ë," showing it is not exactly German.) It is one of my favorite small towns in the world.
Echternach, Luxemburg, is also very nice.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH and Go Bama

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The hills on the left side of that photo are in Germany. Vianden is a small Luxemburgisch enclave on the German side of the Our River. Vianden is clean, quaint, and beautiful, with a castle (on the right of your photo) looming over the town.
They all speak French, and German and Luxemburgisch (which has a "e" with an umlaut, "ë," showing it is not exactly German.) It is one of my favorite small towns in the world.
Echternach, Luxemburg, is also very nice.
Back in 1969, I flew to Europe for a month, beginning and ending in Luxembourg city, on Icelandic (then Loftleidir). Taking the train from there to Frankfurt, We remained on the same train, but the crews changed over from Luxembourgers to Germans. A rock battle broke out between them. On my return, I had a couple of days in Luxembourg City. All of the signs, menus and newspapers were in French. When I went to cash a traveler's check, the cashier started counting out "eens, zwee, dree, feer." (phonetically) I said "Wait a minute, what are you speaking?" He looked at me and and said Luxembourgisch." After that, if anyone struggled with English, I had no problems switching to German...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This is somewhat off the immediate topic but going back to my post and your comment on the previous thread 75 Years after D Day regarding taking of a Fort on the Siegfried Line.

Recently there was a post on the 244th FA site regarding the taking one of the German Forts surrounding Metz. Following that I made an inquiry to the developer of the 244th internet site. and received a very interesting response from him on the 244th involvement in attacking German positions around Metz in the fall of 1944.

His email follows:

In reply to what you said, "My Dad described a German Fort with hydraulically operated artillery that would be raised to fire and lowered to be reloaded." This is what I have learned

Here are four sources that refer to the taking of Fort De Koenigsmacker 9-11 November 1944. Fort De Koenigsmacker is located just north and east of Thionville, France on the east side of the Moselle River.

The first source states “eight 100mm fortress guns were included.” The 244th was the only artillery unit using captured weapons.

The second source states “8 100 mm French fort guns, turret mounted, in Fort Guentrauge. Fort Guentrauge is located just north and west of Thionville, France on the west side of the Moselle River. Fort De Koenigsmacker and Fort De Guentrauge are almost straight opposite each other on an east-west line, with 5.66 mi (9.10 km) between them.

The third source states “five liaison planes, heavily laden with C4 winged their way across the river and dropped the explosive into the hands of the 1st Battalion.” The 244th had two plains.

The fourth source is taken from 244th F.A. Battalion Battery Morning Reports showing 244th batteries supporting 95th Infantry FA Bn. units.

Sources
1) The Operation of Company E, 358th Infantry 90th ID 9-12 November 44 (Page 9) General Subjects Section, Academic Department, The Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia, Advanced Infantry Officers Course 1948 – 1949.
“Attached to the 90th Division was one light artillery battalion. In general support there were twenty-six battalions available, made up of medium, light end heavy artillery, plus the organic artillery of the 10th Armored Division and one 8-inch gun battery. In addition to the above, eight 100mm fortress guns were included.”

2) Utilization of Capture Guns and Ammunition, History of The XX Corps Artillery, 21 October 1943 to 9 May 1945, Page 19, 20. (also reprint at 244th website, History, 1944, 5th November)
“This search was successful. The guns were located, as well as complete rounds of ammunition to match. The weapons were brought to the 537th Ordnance Company (Heavy Maintenance, Field Artillery) which, in conjunction with a XX Corps Artillery team, thoroughly repaired, serviced, checked and test-fired each weapon. The ammunition was carefully checked by the same Ordnance – Artillery team. The final result of this effort produced and turned over to the Corps Artillery: (10) German 88 mm guns, four (4) Russian 76.2 mm guns, two (2) Russian 122 mm guns, six (6) German 105 mm howitzers, three (3) French 155 mm howitzers (Schneider), six (6) German 150 mm Infantry howitzers, eight (8) 100 mm French fort guns, turret mounted, in Fort Guentrauge.”

3) The Moselle Crossing, 9-19 November 44 Part 1 (Page 10)
“Continued prosecution of the assault on the forts required explosives in quantity and since supplied by boat across the river was impracticable due to the current and the accuracy of the enemy's fire on the crossing sites, other means had to be provided. Disregarding the enemy's flak, a convoy of five liaison planes, heavily laden with C2 winged their way across the river and dropped the explosive into the hands of the 1st Battalion. Thus reinforced, the Battalion continued the attack, blowing open and securing a lodgment in two tunnel entrances. There they maintained themselves throughout the day, undaunted by the murderous hail of mortar and artillery fire which German defenders, completely underground, were able to call down on their own positions.”

4) Sunday - 5th November 1944, 244th F.A. Battalion Battery Morning Reports
“C” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 360th FA Ba. (105 mm), 95th Infantry Division
“A” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 359th FA Ba. (105 mm), 95th Infantry Division
“B” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 920th FA Ba. (155 mm), 95th Infantry Division

The 244th was attached to XX Corps at this time. How to determine if the 244th directly supported the 358th Infantry 90th ID in the capture of Fort De Koenigsmacker with artillery support and resupply of C4 using liaison aircraft?

I have been in contact with the Ft. Benning Infantry School Museum and am hoping they will be able to obtain some documents to show the 244th directly supported the taking of the fort. So summing it all up, my best guess is your father was at Fort De Guentrauge firing the 100mm guns. I will keep you updated as I learn more.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is somewhat off the immediate topic but going back to my post and your comment on the previous thread 75 Years after D Day regarding taking of a Fort on the Siegfried Line.

Recently there was a post on the 244th FA site regarding the taking one of the German Forts surrounding Metz. Following that I made an inquiry to the developer of the 244th internet site. and received a very interesting response from him on the 244th involvement in attacking German positions around Metz in the fall of 1944.

His email follows:

In reply to what you said, "My Dad described a German Fort with hydraulically operated artillery that would be raised to fire and lowered to be reloaded." This is what I have learned

Here are four sources that refer to the taking of Fort De Koenigsmacker 9-11 November 1944. Fort De Koenigsmacker is located just north and east of Thionville, France on the east side of the Moselle River.

The first source states “eight 100mm fortress guns were included.” The 244th was the only artillery unit using captured weapons.

The second source states “8 100 mm French fort guns, turret mounted, in Fort Guentrauge. Fort Guentrauge is located just north and west of Thionville, France on the west side of the Moselle River. Fort De Koenigsmackerand Fort De Guentrauge are almost straight opposite each other on an east-west line, with 5.66 mi (9.10 km) between them.

The third source states “five liaison planes, heavily laden with C4 winged their way across the river and dropped the explosive into the hands of the 1st Battalion.” The 244th had two plains.

The fourth source is taken from 244th F.A. Battalion Battery Morning Reports showing 244th batteries supporting 95th Infantry FA Bn. units.

Sources
1) The Operation of Company E, 358th Infantry 90th ID 9-12 November 44 (Page 9) General Subjects Section, Academic Department, The Infantry School, Fort Benning, Georgia, Advanced Infantry Officers Course 1948 – 1949.
“Attached to the 90th Division was one light artillery battalion. In general support there were twenty-six battalions available, made up of medium, light end heavy artillery, plus the organic artillery of the 10th Armored Division and one 8-inch gun battery. In addition to the above, eight 100mm fortress guns were included.”

2) Utilization of Capture Guns and Ammunition, History of The XX Corps Artillery, 21 October 1943 to 9 May 1945, Page 19, 20. (also reprint at 244th website, History, 1944, 5th November)
“This search was successful. The guns were located, as well as complete rounds of ammunition to match. The weapons were brought to the 537th Ordnance Company (Heavy Maintenance, Field Artillery) which, in conjunction with a XX Corps Artillery team, thoroughly repaired, serviced, checked and test-fired each weapon. The ammunition was carefully checked by the same Ordnance – Artillery team. The final result of this effort produced and turned over to the Corps Artillery: (10) German 88 mm guns, four (4) Russian 76.2 mm guns, two (2) Russian 122 mm guns, six (6) German 105 mm howitzers, three (3) French 155 mm howitzers (Schneider), six (6) German 150 mm Infantry howitzers, eight (8) 100 mm French fort guns, turret mounted, in Fort Guentrauge.”

3) The Moselle Crossing, 9-19 November 44 Part 1 (Page 10)
“Continued prosecution of the assault on the forts required explosives in quantity and since supplied by boat across the river was impracticable due to the current and the accuracy of the enemy's fire on the crossing sites, other means had to be provided. Disregarding the enemy's flak, a convoy of five liaison planes, heavily laden with C2 winged their way across the river and dropped the explosive into the hands of the 1st Battalion. Thus reinforced, the Battalion continued the attack, blowing open and securing a lodgment in two tunnel entrances. There they maintained themselves throughout the day, undaunted by the murderous hail of mortar and artillery fire which German defenders, completely underground, were able to call down on their own positions.”

4) Sunday - 5th November 1944, 244th F.A. Battalion Battery Morning Reports
“C” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 360th FA Ba. (105 mm), 95th Infantry Division
“A” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 359th FA Ba. (105 mm), 95th Infantry Division
“B” Battery (captured weapons) Supported the 920th FA Ba. (155 mm), 95th Infantry Division

The 244th was attached to XX Corps at this time. How to determine if the 244th directly supported the 358th Infantry 90th ID in the capture of Fort De Koenigsmacker with artillery support and resupply of C4 using liaison aircraft?

I have been in contact with the Ft. Benning Infantry School Museum and am hoping they will be able to obtain some documents to show the 244th directly supported the taking of the fort. So summing it all up, my best guess is your father was at Fort De Guentrauge firing the 100mm guns. I will keep you updated as I learn more.
Interesting.
Most of the Westwall or Siegfried Line consisted of simple block houses. Large hollow concrete cubes with a firing port. They were not connected to each other. Each blockhouse is a tactical problam to solve. Not as formidable as the Maginot Line or Fort Eben Emael in Belgium, but still tough to take.
As for "disappearing guns," (cannons that pop up to fire and then drop down to load), these were probably part of the Maginot Line (which faced east) that the Jerries had included in their works (which faced west).
After 1940, Germany went back to the 1914 borders, and portions of French Alsace and Lorraine were reincorporated into the Reich. The Siegfried Line was intended to defend "Germany" which, in German eyes included the "German" portions of Alsace and Lorraine. Thus, the Germans would probably repurpose or rebuild French forts to face west.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This is the post of the 4th Armored Division for today:
December 18, 1944. The German offensive pressed forward. The biggest threat seemed to be KG Peiper, which on this day stormed into the town of Stavelot and then on to Trois-Ponts. Securing bridges across the Amblève River at the latter town was a critical objective for Peiper. A decisive event that day was the defense of the town by the 140 men of Company C, 51st Engineer Combat Battalion and a single 57mm anti-tank gun and crew belonging to the 526th Armored Infantry Battalion (the gun crew was separated from the 526th; the engineers commandeered the gun and crew for the defense of the town). By destroying a key bridge, the engineers robbed Peiper of his intended route to the Meuse River. Peiper continued toward Stoumont while elements of the U.S. 30th Infantry Division closed in behind him and recaptured Stavelot. Just 72 hours into the offensive, Peiper was cut off from his division. And more importantly, the Americans holding the northern shoulder of the German penetration were holding firm.

The attack by the 5th Panzer Army showed the most promise for the Germans. The fate of two regiments of the 106th Infantry Division was virtually sealed. The good news in that sector for the Americans was the timely arrival of CCB/7. Coupled with the diversion of CCB/9 from V Corps to VIII Corps, the Americans were able to establish a perimeter defense of St. Vith. Unfortunately, mounting a relief of the two surrounded regiments was now out of the question, and the American 422nd and 423rd Infantry Regiments soon surrendered en masse.

South of St. Vith, the 28th Infantry Division had done the best they could to slow down the breakout of the three Panzer divisions assigned to the 5th Panzer Army. Behind the positions of the 28th ID, CCR/9 was divided into three task forces in order to block some of the routes. Unfortunately, all of the task forces were shattered by the Germans. American casualties were significant, but the men of the 28th ID and CCR/9 bought valuable time for the American command, allowing CCB of the 10th Armored Division to reach blocking positions north and east of Bastogne. More importantly, it allowed the 101st Airborne Division to reach Bastogne before the Germans. South of the 5th Panzer Army, the 7th Army pressed hard to keep pace in order to protect the 5th Panzer’s left flank. The primary burden fell upon the 5th FJ Division. As the day drew to an end, the 5th FJ remained in contact with the 26th VG Division (the southernmost unit of the 5th Panzer Army), echeloned a modest distance to the southeast.

By the end of the day, the Allied intelligence assets had pieced together Hitler's intentions. ULTRA intercepted some critical German communications, and it became evident that the Meuse River bridges were prizes valued by the enemy. In a meeting with Lt. General Bradley (commanding the 12th Army Group), Lt. General Patton changed his posture relative to the emerging threat to the north. He told Bradley that he could get the Fourth Armored assembled and ready to move by midnight. He believed he could have the 80th Infantry Division on the road on the morning of the 19th, and the 26th Infantry Division could be heading north within 24 hours. Patton assured Bradley that he could have all three divisions engaged in an attack against the south flank of the advancing German armies as early as December 21.

The aforementioned plan wasn't yet blessed by Bradley. However, Patton hedged his bets by ordering his chief of staff (Hap Gay) to cancel the attack scheduled to begin the next morning. He assigned the Fourth Armored and 80th Infantry Division to the untested III Corps (commanded by Major General Millikin). Patton ordered Millikin to move his headquarters from Metz to Arlon. The 26th Infantry Division would soon be assigned as well.

Early that evening, Bradley called Patton and asked if he could get one of the combat commands of the Fourth Armored headed to Bastogne as soon as possible. Hap Gay confirmed that CCB could be on the road that evening, and the balance of the division would be ready to depart the following day. At 1700, the planned move of CCB to the 35th Infantry Division zone was scrubbed. Instead, Dager's command would move north and into the Ardennes.

Before Patton retired for the night, he had the presence of mind to assemble his staff for the purpose of developing contingency plans for a counterattack against the south flank of the German offensive. As he lay down for the night, his staff remained at work developing three distinct options, which they would present to Patton in the morning.

As Patton's staff worked on their plans, Brigadier General Dager's CCB assembled and prepared to move. They would get underway just after midnight. The 8th Tank Battalion, 10th Armored Infantry Battalion, and the 22nd Armored Field Artillery Battalion formed the nucleus of Dager's command. Also attached was Battery A of the 489th AAA Battalion, B Company of the 24th Armored Engineer Battalion, B Troop of the 25th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, B Company of the 46 Armored Medical Battalion, and B Company of the 126th Armored Ordnance Battalion. For the Fourth Armored Division, the Battle of the Bulge was underway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.