8/10 Scrimmage Updates

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Was told Benton was the best LB on the field Saturday. A guy in his third year in the system, so he should know the playbook well enough to get the job done.
Can Benton call the plays I guess would be the key question. Or would that go to Moses?

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Was told Benton was the best LB on the field Saturday. A guy in his third year in the system, so he should know the playbook well enough to get the job done.
There was a well-respected poster on an SEC board who was present and said Benton was "lights out" in the scrimmage.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
There was a well-respected poster on an SEC board who was present and said Benton was "lights out" in the scrimmage.
That sounds great. I'm looking forward to getting some notes from practice, and some words from the big man about ILB going forward. OLB's should be outstanding and if Dale is as advertised the middle should be solid even if not as dynamic as last year with big Q. Putting a solid guy at the other ILB will get the front seven in a good place with what I expect to be a veteran, nasty secondary.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I heard on some podcast, that they may be trying to have someone other than Moses call plays. The goal is to let Moses play “free” and instinctively.
It sounded like the reason McMillon was pegged as the starter was not because of his physical ability being better than the guys behind him, but because he is such an intelligent player (engineering major) and knows the defense as well as anyone even if he doesn't have the playing time to back it up. Benton's been in the program as long as Moses, but I would be surprised if it isn't Moses calling the plays.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
It sounded like the reason McMillon was pegged as the starter was not because of his physical ability being better than the guys behind him, but because he is such an intelligent player (engineering major) and knows the defense as well as anyone even if he doesn't have the playing time to back it up. Benton's been in the program as long as Moses, but I would be surprised if it isn't Moses calling the plays.

Me, too. But Mack's problems last year prove that experience and physical skills do not guarantee that you can get your teammates into the right alignment. This is a pivotal year for DM to prove that he is more than the sum of his physical gifts. How many times did we watch him and Mack cover the same guy or run to the same spot?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Suggests the first team nickel is Diggs, Jobe, and Surtain. Would be surprised if Shy doesn't move to the first team, but if he doesn't, that would indicate the skill possessed by the young guys.
Agreed. I think we'll see some position being established after Scrimmage this weekend.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Suggests the first team nickel is Diggs, Jobe, and Surtain. Would be surprised if Shy doesn't move to the first team, but if he doesn't, that would indicate the skill possessed by the young guys.
Agreed. Shy is too good to not be on the field a lot. As big of leads that we will have I'm sure we will be in dime a lot and Shy will get some nickel reps also IMO.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Sounds to me they are in the phase where they are trying to see who can really play where and which parts work best together in combination as well as ensuring the second line guys have some versatility in where they can step in and play in case of an injury.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We saw Jennings off on the side in a knee brace yesterday. Just saw the practice clip from today and he is barely moving. Not sure what happened, but he seems pretty limited in practice right now.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
We saw Jennings off on the side in a knee brace yesterday. Just saw the practice clip from today and he is barely moving. Not sure what happened, but he seems pretty limited in practice right now.
Seems like there are lots of dinged up guys right now...…………..hope everything is good and ready to go soon

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Gotta think that Carter would at worst be the dimeback.
At WORST.....

I mean he was 2nd on the team last year with 10 PBU's and 2nd in INTs.

He was 1st on team in Picks 6's with both of his INT's being housed.

I just can't see how he won't be part of Nickel and Dime packages.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
At WORST.....

I mean he was 2nd on the team last year with 10 PBU's and 2nd in INTs.

He was 1st on team in Picks 6's with both of his INT's being housed.

I just can't see how he won't be part of Nickel and Dime packages.
iirc, one of those pbu's was directly responsible for jawjuh being 4 and 11 at mid-field "punting"

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.