A look into next season

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
So we lose JQ, Gurley and Welch as they are all seniors and Miller to the draft. What are y'all thoughts about possible transfers in and out? The next signing class coming in?What will the starting five look like and which ones off the bench look like they will provide valuable minutes?

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So we lose JQ, Gurley and Welch as they are all seniors and Miller to the draft. What are y'all thoughts about possible transfers in and out? The next signing class coming in?What will the starting five look like and which ones off the bench look like they will provide valuable minutes?
Quinerly has an extra year and can come back if he chooses to.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Oats indicated several times late in the season that Quinerly was extremely helpful with the young players. He was very valuable off the court and during practices. For the most part, Quinerly played under control and had the best point guard play on the team during the last third of the season.

I did not care for some of his antics during the games though. He will be 25 years old next season; I kind of figured this would be his last season. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd want him to move on or stay and play. His three-point percentage was 2nd on the team this season. Alabama needs Bradley to step up his game or needs a new point guard if Quinerly doesn't play next season.

Reactions: teamplayer

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
do you mean we've already signed 5 and 2 more spots are open?
I think he means 3 guys are gonna have to get off the bus.

Alabama is going to need someone down low to be a threat, not just garbage pickup. Add a drop it in, pass it out element for the three attempts to go along with the drive and dish. Some “physicality” would be nice at that position, but that varies from game to game and who the referees have the money on.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
do you mean we've already signed 5 and 2 more spots are open?
We had 2 left from last year. We’ve signed 5. So 3 have to be leaving. Already counted Miles.

So, Gurley, Welch, and Miller. Our activity in the portal tells me that Q or Clowney are leaving. Maybe both.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think he means 3 guys are gonna have to get off the bus.

Alabama is going to need someone down low to be a threat, not just garbage pickup. Add a drop it in, pass it out element for the three attempts to go along with the drive and dish. Some “physicality” would be nice at that position, but that varies from game to game and who the referees have the money on.
One of the games earlier this year we were struggling with a thugball defense and he put a big at the FT line. It worked for that game. Not sure why we didn’t revisit it in the tournament

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We had 2 left from last year. We’ve signed 5. So 3 have to be leaving. Already counted Miles.

So, Gurley, Welch, and Miller. Our activity in the portal tells me that Q or Clowney are leaving. Maybe both.
I fully expect Clowney to head to the draft with all his upsides.

Q might could play for money in Europe, maybe?

Reactions: bama579

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Clowney should come back one more year IMO. He rebounds well but needs to work on his offensive game. He has the potential to be a lottery pick next year if he works on his offensive game.
I *think* that too, but recent draft stuff like Josh Primo leaving makes me think otherwise. NBA is willing to take potential over a polished product.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I *think* that too, but recent draft stuff like Josh Primo leaving makes me think otherwise. NBA is willing to take potential over a polished product.
True. Especially given how much money they pay draft picks vs. how much "potential" never pans out for whatever reason, I don't understand the thinking. But it's what they do.

Reactions: seebell

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
They need a big body like UConn and Miami have that can eat space and get rebounds. And they need 6'4" - 6'6" guards that can shoot. They will greatly miss Miller and losing Q will hurt also. I do hope Clowney comes back because he needs work on offense and needs to learn how to foul less. He will get eaten up in the pros right now.

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
There wasn’t a lot of Nil money available then though. Now it could be better money wise to stay get the NIL money and then go lottery next year then be late first round and money.

Reactions: seebell

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
There wasn’t a lot of Nil money available then though. Now it could be better money wise to stay get the NIL money and then go lottery next year then be late first round and money.
Might be wise to look at who/what is coming out. There’s a lot of guys who have been in school an extra year, filled out their bodies and further developed, that might make the draft a dicey situation for a skinny kid that’s still wet behind the ears. Let’s be frank, getting sent to the G league to rot on the vine or going overseas to play ain’t exactly the dream of any kid playing.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Did all 5 of the recruits actually sign? I thought there was one that hasn't: Johnson or Kris Parker? We're going to need to find some help from the portal. I'm interested in the kid from Louisville: good size and shoots ~40% from distance, but I'm no talent scout.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.