A possible preventive measure for players faking injuries...

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Which comes, of all places, from Mike Gundy in the Coaches' Film Room broadcast of last night's game...

The idea is a rule change that if a player leaves the field due to an injury during an injury time-out, that player can't return to the field until after the next change of possession.

Thoughts?
How might this relate to someone like OSU QB Fields putting on a bigger knee brace and then throwing an epic 30 yard touchdown pass immediately afterward?

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
How might this relate to someone like OSU QB Fields putting on a bigger knee brace and then throwing an epic 30 yard touchdown pass immediately afterward?

Rules are rules. If that became a rule every team in the NCAA should be held to the same standard. (Might be a good idea to spend time working with your back up QB.)

Reactions: OSUTideFan

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Rules are rules. If that became a rule every team in the NCAA should be held to the same standard. (Might be a good idea to spend time working with your back up QB.)
As long as the rule allowed for the return of the injured player sooner if the injury occurred as the result of something that the opponent did. Like the helmet rule - if the opponent rips off the helmet, no need to come out for a play. If the player is injured because of an illegal hit, the rule would not apply.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think there needs to be a distinction between contact and non contact "injuries". It seems the alleged fake injuries are more times than not a player appearing to be perfectly okay between plays then all of a sudden they "catch cramps", sit down on the field, the medical staff comes out etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing something implemented like when the helmet comes off. If the helmet was forced off then the player can remain. But if it comes off "on its own" then the player sits a play. I would like to see a rule implemented with this same framework in mind to mitigate the fake injuries.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I certainly wouldn’t have an issue with 4 plays.
That seems reasonable to me too.

There's usually a down side to any solution, it strikes me that teams with better depth would be in a better position to fake these things. Which would just be another advantage a good recruiter brings to the table.

I wish there was a way to shift public opinion so that players would be ashamed to pull this.

Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
That seems reasonable to me too.

There's usually a down side to any solution, it strikes me that teams with better depth would be in a better position to fake these things. Which would just be another advantage a good recruiter brings to the table.

I wish there was a way to shift public opinion so that players would be ashamed to pull this.
I think what we don't want is to have kids start feeling public shame to come off the field when they really do need to come off the field. The rule needs to be structured and implemented with the spirit of "all players who say they're injured are injured." Not "we're trying to punish fake injuries." The last thing we want is a player who to the over zealous fan in the stands appears to be "faking an injury". When in all reality the kid really is hurt. But the kid, in fear of being publicly shamed stays on the field and gets seriously hurt on the next play.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Buzzard, like always you make good sense.

I will say if I was a player, I would ashamed to fake an injury in front of all those people, it's kind of an insult to those that do really get hurt.

Reactions: UAllday and B1GTide

Bama Czar

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Which comes, of all places, from Mike Gundy in the Coaches' Film Room broadcast of last night's game...

The idea is a rule change that if a player leaves the field due to an injury during an injury time-out, that player can't return to the field until after the next change of possession.

Thoughts?
Or we could go back to the old rule regarding the 00:25 play clock. I'll simply come clean and say outright that I despise these quick-snap gimmick "offenses"..... They're not offenses....they're quick-snap gimmicks...

Simply call your play, I'll call mine, and we'll see what happens. May the best man win. No "gotcha" gimmicks

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Buzzard, like always you make good sense.

I will say if I was a player, I would ashamed to fake an injury in front of all those people, it's kind of an insult to those that do really get hurt.
It's a tough rule to come up with, to be honest. If a player says he's hurt but not hurt enough to not comeback into the game. What's a reasonable number of plays to require them to sit out? I'm leaning more toward two consecutive plays. A mandated full set of downs is a bit excessive, IMO, and a full series is REALLY excessive.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
It's a tough rule to come up with, to be honest. If a player says he's hurt but not hurt enough to not comeback into the game. What's a reasonable number of plays to require them to sit out? I'm leaning more toward two consecutive plays. A mandated full set of downs is a bit excessive, IMO, and a full series is REALLY excessive.
I agree with you. This would be really hard to codify. One challenge with a play count is keeping track. If it's 4 plays does that include plays where a foul occurred and the down is replayed? What if a false start is called just prior to the snap? What if it happens late in the 2nd quarter and there are only 2 plays run before halftime. Are they OK to return after halftime or do they have to sit out the first two plays? Does the kickoff or try count as one of the plays? If it's an offensive player and the defense takes over in those 4 plays does it apply to the next series or can they come back on the first play of the next series? 1 play is easy to track but multiple plays could get very tricky. It's definitely a good thought though.

My crew has called DOG on an obvious fake injury once! A had the ball inside the 10. B tried to sub late, but it was a long run for the players from the team bench area. The replaced player didn't leave immediate so he was running toward the sideline (no sign of injury prior and he was having no problem running to the sideline). A was at the line of scrimmage about to snap the ball when our wing clearly heard the coaches yell, "go down!" We could have let it go and called it illegal substitution for having 12 on the field during the play, but he was in a position where the play could have gone toward him and he was in a dangerous position. That situation is not specifically covered in the rules, but we didn't feel granting an injury time out was valid. If the coach hadn't screamed what he did we probably have to assume he cramped up on his way off and give them the time out. This situation would be very rare, but it could be done. From a liability standpoint I'm not sure I want to making the judgement on whether or not a player is actually injured. Having rules where a player has to sit out for X number of plays is a much better deterrent.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017

Thoughts?
I like the idea forcing the player to sit on the sideline until the next possession if it was determine through video replay that they were faking an injury. Some of the fake injuries were so blatant and obvious and negatively impacted the flow of the opposing team.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Defenses will always figure out a way to use some trick to slow down a hurry up offense if they get gassed. I would like to figure out a rule that takes judgement out of officials hands. I like the Gundy idea, just don't make it so people have to lie to use it. Just figure out a legal substitution. Plays that take place because defense is not ready is not a quality play to watch, heck TV usually misses half the play.

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Yeah, OSUs backup QB was an absolute dud and it created detrimental reliance on the team forcing the use of their star QB, even injured. The situation seems to me as a tough nut overall to crack because it’s hard to for an elite team to recruit an awesome quarterback as a non-starting player.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.