A possible preventive measure for players faking injuries...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Which comes, of all places, from Mike Gundy in the Coaches' Film Room broadcast of last night's game...

The idea is a rule change that if a player leaves the field due to an injury during an injury time-out, that player can't return to the field until after the next change of possession.

Thoughts?
I could live with that.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Yeah, heard that last night during the broadcast. They were all surprised he is the one who came up with it.

He probably watched some film of L8U's games with API.....................

Reactions: B1GTide

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Which comes, of all places, from Mike Gundy in the Coaches' Film Room broadcast of last night's game...

The idea is a rule change that if a player leaves the field due to an injury during an injury time-out, that player can't return to the field until after the next change of possession.

Thoughts?
There is actually a benefit there to the player who goes down because he truly is hurting.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
That's what my next thought was. I would hate to see a guy stay out there when he's hurt and needs to get out, especially in concussion situations. These are 18-21 year old boys becoming men, and they do NOT use good judgment most of the time. I think it's a shame that places like LSU and Auburn incorporate faking an injury into their playcalling, and it says a lot about the quality of the coaches on their sidelines. We might need to increase the time they stay out, perhaps not as draconian as the entire possession, but perhaps 3 downs? I know that seems like the same thing as a possession, but it isn't, if you think about it.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
There is also the chance that an injured player might stay on the field when he should not with a rule like this, but it is an interesting thought.
He'd probably be hurting his team as well as himself by doing so. That's when the adults have to make a decision. I would lean more toward a set number of plays. Three, four, five, even two - but one just doesn't seem enough while sitting out an entire 12 play drive seems a little much.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I like the idea. If you go down and get a free timeout and your Coach the ability to sub on a team that is playing fastball, then the player should sit for a while. Might make the coach think twice about telling a player to take a dive.
What would actually work is that if people were, I don’t know, HONEST! Stop trying to bend and manipulate the rules and play the game with the understanding of why rules are there not with a “well they didn’t specifically say I couldn’t do X” mentality.

Reactions: OneManBamaFan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
That's what my next thought was. I would hate to see a guy stay out there when he's hurt and needs to get out, especially in concussion situations. These are 18-21 year old boys becoming men, and they do NOT use good judgment most of the time. I think it's a shame that places like LSU and Auburn incorporate faking an injury into their playcalling, and it says a lot about the quality of the coaches on their sidelines. We might need to increase the time they stay out, perhaps not as draconian as the entire possession, but perhaps 3 downs? I know that seems like the same thing as a possession, but it isn't, if you think about it.
I like the players being out until their next possession. That would make a couple of coaches stop faking an injury to break the momentum of the other team, or use the fake to send in a play. If a player is dazed the Refs ought to be able to stop play and send them to the sideline. Make it subject to review, if it protects an injured player.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I like the players being out until their next possession. That would make a couple of coaches stop faking an injury to break the momentum of the other team, or use the fake to send in a play. If a player is dazed the Refs ought to be able to stop play and send them to the sideline. Make it subject to review, if it protects an injured player.
Oh have an independent medical doctor make “sure” they are cleared before returning. And have them stationed in the locker room .

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
does this rule only apply to the Defense? What happens if the QB is dinged up (legit) and then wants to come back in a play or two later? They wouldn't have any reason to fake an injury.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.